SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: UND vs USD 4pm

geaux_sioux

10 hours ago, dlsiouxfan said:

In his defense, taunting is part of the game now.  It goes on all game long on both sides.  I'm not saying it's right but it's Mickey Mouse when refs call it after big plays because they literally could call it every single play.

Taunting is not part of the game and it will usually get you a 15yd penalty and should be called every time.  If you meant trash talking, and there is a fine line between the two, I would agree it goes on all of the time. Ref calls taunting when he sees it.  The rule doesn't allow the ref to not call it because it occurs after a "big play".  The ref isn't "Mickey Mouse" cuz he does what he is supposed to do, the player did a "Mickey Mouse" action.  Big plays are negated by lack of discipline too often.  

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I missed the game because I was at work. Did the defense just get tired out in the second quarter or did they just have a bad quarter.

I'd  say it was more so the offense putting the defense in really tough spots, and some good plays by USD.

24 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Taunting is not part of the game and it will usually get you a 15yd penalty and should be called every time.  If you meant trash talking, and there is a fine line between the two, I would agree it goes on all of the time. Ref calls taunting when he sees it.  The rule doesn't allow the ref to not call it because it occurs after a "big play".  The ref isn't "Mickey Mouse" cuz he does what he is supposed to do, the player did a "Mickey Mouse" action.  Big plays are negated by lack of discipline too often.  

I was at a wedding but watched on my phone when I could.  I did see that play and our player stood over the receiver and straddled him and kind of walked up toward his hips.  I don't think the ref had any choice but to call that penalty.  Bailed USD out of a 3rd and 20 that was coming up.   Really bad penalty to take.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I was at a wedding but watched on my phone when I could.  I did see that play and our player stood over the receiver and straddled him and kind of walked up toward his hips.  I don't think the ref had any choice but to call that penalty.  Bailed USD out of a 3rd and 20 that was coming up.   Really bad penalty to take.

If Hunt does that again and doesn't sit for an extended period I will be very disappointed in Bubba.

• Upvote 2

Side note.......thru tailgating and being in the Alerus for the game was surprised more people were not wearing appearal with F-n Hawks on it.  Guess the general fan base did not hear from those on this site the new nickname/logo is really taking hold and catching on.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

We've discussed for months two major concerns:

1)  O line.  Most of us agreed it would take 3-4 games for this unit to gel and get to where they would be comfortable with all the line reads.  There is talent here.  They have not been getting a good push and Demon seems to be the main culprit.  He is way to good and I expected more from him.  I hope to see a change against mont st (game 4) that will get the momentum going forward. The loss of elijah is massive 

Please work with the O line on the NO BACK sets and Studs in the gun.  The free runs up the middle in that formation to start the season are unbelievable.  Scrap that formation or get it fixed.  Opposing D-coordinators have to be licking there chops with that formation.

There was tons of Hawks stuff at the game yesterday. It was also the best tailgate I've seen in a LONG time. Best crowd in 7 years was great but the fans weren't all that great at making noise until the end. Not that they had a lot to cheer for when we had 6 consecutive three and outs on offense. But still.

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I was surprised at how many were wearing it. Its prevalence will increase. 

I saw quite a bit FH gear (including me) along with just UND, saw very little Sioux logos compared to the other two. Of course it will be opposite at the REA since they are the biggest opponent of the name.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

There was tons of Hawks stuff at the game yesterday. It was also the best tailgate I've seen in a LONG time. Best crowd in 7 years was great but the fans weren't all that great at making noise until the end. Not that they had a lot to cheer for when we had 6 consecutive three and outs on offense. But still.

Crowd started dying when we went from 14-6 to being down 34-14. Then the crowd died more when the students jumped ship after the announcement of the tuition winner the crowd didn't get revived until the second pick 6.

31 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Almost every "fan" sitting in my section did just that. Sat. We were on defense and people just stared when I'd stand and cheer and clap as though I was interrupting their viewing. And this was at the beginning of the game, so the 6 consecutive 3 and outs hadn't even happened yet.

You're right that no one seemed to care until we started getting back into the game in the 4th. There might as well have been 6,000 people there for the majority of the game because it felt like a library in there at times. 

1 hour ago, Tangolou said:

I was at the game and couldn't believe the ref overturned the Santiago TD in overtime. His hip landed on the goal line so the ball had to be in.

Second, Stoney Brook piss pounded Richmond yesterday which I think is a surprise.

Replay showed Santiago was down pretty clearly.

10 minutes ago, MadScout03 said:

Almost every "fan" sitting in my section did just that. Sat. We were on defense and people just stared when I'd stand and cheer and clap as though I was interrupting their viewing. And this was at the beginning of the game, so the 6 consecutive 3 and outs hadn't even happened yet.

You're right that no one seemed to care until we started getting back into the game in the 4th. There might as well have been 6,000 people there for the majority of the game because it felt like a library in there at times. 

Hey, LOVE the effort.  Screw those people sitting around you who look annoyed.  Just keep doing your thing.  Lead by example. Love it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Side note.......thru tailgating and being in the Alerus for the game was surprised more people were not wearing appearal with F-n Hawks on it.  Guess the general fan base did not hear from those on this site the new nickname/logo is really taking hold and catching on.

I was disappointed in the student section and there frequent use of the Sioux name at the game.  It's been  3 years since the retirement. Time to move on.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, northernraider said:

I was disappointed in the student section and there frequent use of the Sioux name at the game.  It's been  3 years since the retirement. Time to move on.

Thought about pointing that out too but didn't want to rain on the glowing reviews of Hawk's stuff out in mass.

You know what is a real crowd killer? - Run the ball, same play, feeble 3rd down attempt, punt then same play same play same play punt - repeat for 6 possessions.  There is absolutely no excuse for any football team at any level to have a string of futility and stubbornness like this.  None.  Shame Shame Shame on Rudolf and Shame on Bubba for allowing it.  That may be the worst stretch of offensive football I have ever seen.  And how did we go from too many quarterbacks to all of our eggs in the Studsrud basket - Not sure if I have seen a QB regress so far from his Sophomore to Junior year ever in this program.  

• Upvote 4