SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: UND vs USD 4pm

geaux_sioux

1 hour ago, Westside said:

I viewed it as a kind of "good effort" gesture (on the td play).  Santiago seems like a pretty humble kid.  Doesn't look like taunting to me. 

I agree. I didn't see an issue with the tap on the helmet after the td but I did after his long run. Easily could have drawn a flag. I've noticed it a couple of times this year. I'm guessing it will be cleared up and won't happen again.  No excuse for taunting penalities. 

3 hours ago, Big Green said:

They pass the first play of the game and guess what huge gain.  Need to play less predictable.

Very disappointed in the number of people leaving early yesterday.  Seemed like a slap in the face with all the students that left early after bubba's bucks was announced.  I guess it is not enough to give the students free tickets now they need to be paid to come to the game.  I just don't get it.

Great first win of the season, now need to carry momentum into the next few games and go on a win streak

Student here - who did stick around the whole game. That's just an asinine, holier than thou, thing to say. You think we enjoyed the beat down we were getting prior to the 4th quarter? We showed up in a huge number, - following an 0-2 start just to see the team start getting whipped. Like it or not we have better things to do if we decide the activity isn't worth our time, whether that's UND football or not. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I heard the students who left in a hurry were uncomfortable with the score and rushed to their safe zones. 

Please don't go there. :crazy:

We need to keep working on the student section. They used to be a big factor (2000-05) and we will need them back if we want to turn the Alerus Center into what it used to be and can be again.....the best home field advantage in our conference.

26 minutes ago, NoDakFan said:

Student here - who did stick around the whole game. That's just an asinine, holier than thou, thing to say. You think we enjoyed the beat down we were getting prior to the 4th quarter? We showed up in a huge number, - following an 0-2 start just to see the team start getting whipped. Like it or not we have better things to do if we decide the activity isn't worth our time, whether that's UND football or not. 

What's the reason for lack of participation by the students at the game? That's one of the best parts about a good student section. Slapping the seats on third is great but I didn't really see anything else other than booing the new nickname and some sioux chant at the beginning.

• Upvote 3

The students weren't the only ones who left in the third/early fourth quarters. The team had a great chance to create a lot of new fans and they shat the bed the second and third quarters. The comeback was great, but with how we were playing and our team's D1 history,  I don't really blame them for giving up early. 

With that said, the noise level from the student section was disappointing when there were a lot of students there. I thought the Al was just as loud or louder with 5,500 people towards the end of the game as it ever was with 11,500 in the first half, and there was plenty to be loud about in that first quarter. 

So one of the complaints or reasons from students is that they started 0-2 but easily could be 2-0 and HAD they started 2-0 would have the students been tearing the doors to get tickets and would they of been loud and crazy?? No.  If they were 7-0 and top 5 team would it be better??? Doubt it. 

The team thrives off of the excitement of the crowd especially it's students.  Us old people lose our voices in the first qtr, we need the young to help out. My throat still hurts 

18 minutes ago, 3runsingle said:

It's really sad that today's student "fans" think they are "owed something" from the team. Being a fan means sticking with your guys through the good times and not so good times. (Cubs fans....) This guy seems to think a quarter by quarter assessment is warranted as to whether or not students should stick around. Let me tell you something Snowflake, the world, nor the team owes you anything. Enjoying a game and cheering for your team is a choice made with only intrinsic value attached. Fine, go do your "better things," but then don't complain when your student fee funded student section is reduced to allow better seats for true fans because you and your peers lack the courage to lose on occasion. Its always the guys that never "put themselves out there" to compete that think those that do owe them something. No ribbons for staying to the end of the game, so I guess $#@& it. Lord I pray for this country when this generation is in charge.

Post of the year entry...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

"Kids these days." _____but never "your kid" right?

Cause if you were a student and your buds asked you if you wanted to go have a beer and watch the rest of the game at Playmakers Tavern, you'd for sure stay by yourself.

Maybe these "younger generations" realize how unimportant sports really are in the bigger picture, and there's more productive things to do. 

Maybe the student football section is the exact same given the circumstances of the past 20 years.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

Just now, geaux_sioux said:

Big picture there are things sports teach you like stick-to-itiveness when facing adversity, learning how much investment is required to be great at something, and working in a team towards a common goal.  Sports are very very important. There are stats on top of stats that show at the very least an undeniably strong correlation that athletes are better students and more successful later in life.

Fans. Not players.

Who is one to criticize ones life choices whether they want to go to a football game or go to work, or hunt, or fish, or a family reunion, or leave early in a blowout game, because they aren't die-hard fans who live on message boards criticizing every move by fans, players, and administrators. Who might not grow up to waste a full Sunday glued to a Television set in the fall, but instead go camping and teach that "future generation" the names of birds instead of the names of the new starting Vikings QBs.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Fans. Not players.

Who is one to criticize ones life choices whether they want to go to a football game or go to work, or hunt, or fish, or a family reunion, or leave early in a blowout game, because they aren't die-hard fans who live on message boards criticizing every move by fans, players, and administrators. Who might not grow up to waste a full Sunday glued to a Television set in the fall, but instead go camping and teach that "future generation" the names of birds instead of the names of the new starting Vikings QBs.

If you're addressing my post, I didn't say students have to be football fans. But once they choose to attend, then get up and leave after the prize drawing; they have revealed their character. Might be great kids. Might have a hernia surgery scheduled for 6pm that night. I don't know. But guessing from the mass exodus, they're not really fans. Or they just came for the tuition drawing. Sure hope the young lady who won the $5k tuition bucks comes back October 1.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, 3runsingle said:

If you're addressing my post, I didn't say students have to be football fans. But once they choose to attend, then get up and leave after the prize drawing; they have revealed their character. Might be great kids. Might have a hernia surgery scheduled for 6pm that night. I don't know. But guessing from the mass exodus, they're not really fans. Or they just came for the tuition drawing. Sure hope the young lady who won the $5k tuition bucks comes back October 1.

I've seen grown adults push each to get those consumer electronics discounts on a Friday. Revealed their true colors. 

Welcome to Earth.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 3runsingle said:

Btw Cratter, how often have you taught the next generation the names of birds? With nearly 8,500 posts on here, how would you have the time?  Put some clothes on, you're in a glass house.

I'd have more posts but I'm watching the Vikings. Ten minutes left up 3.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Fans. Not players.

What??

"Look Timmy, a nut hatch, or maybe that is a chickadee, could be a sparrow...."

"Dad, this sucks, can we watch football now?"

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, darell1976 said:

I saw quite a bit FH gear (including me) along with just UND, saw very little Sioux logos compared to the other two. Of course it will be opposite at the REA since they are the biggest opponent of the name.

We were fortunate enough to have Brad Berry give us a tour of the new locker rooms etc. this morning, and he let us ask questions as well and somebody asked about Sioux and the logo.  He knows Sioux isn't coming back (and I'm sure isn't crazy about the new nickname), but he did show us that the new goaltender mask was just finished and it does have Fighting Hawks on it.  I think he knows that in time they will somewhat have to accept it, but he did say it's very important to remember the Sioux history and where they came from.  He said they have to order their jerseys about a year in advance, so there wouldn't be anything on them this year obviously. He didn't say anything along the lines that it wouldn't have Fighting Hawks on it in the future.