SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: UND vs USD 4pm

geaux_sioux

It's really tough to know what to make of that game.  It's great to have a win but at this point I don't know if that's the start of a run or what will ultimately be the high point of a disappointing season.  Anyways we need to have respect for winning.  We're going to find out a lot about this team next week in Montana.

12 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

At least he was walking without a limp, but for him to be on the sidelines at crunch time is concerning.

I agree. Watching him on the sidelines in OT, it looked like he was in a good mood, not showing any disappointment of an injury, but knowing his toughness, there had a to be a good reason he wasn't in the game.

After the last two weeks my thought is our offense needs some more tempo.  They have looked ok when we've been down and needed scores.  We don't have to be USD or Bowling Green fast but getting to the line with 15 seconds on the play clock seems to get something more of a rythem. Not pretty but the passing game gets going enough to create some space for the running game. 

• Upvote 3

Let us remember that the current regime has two full recruiting classes under its belt (the first class was hastily put together in a couple of months and cannot be considered a full recruiting class). So depth is still somewhat of an issue. The lack of consistency on both sides of the ball is the difference between winning and losing games and that is something that will come with time.

Today's comeback win should give the players some much-needed confidence after two tough losses. Time to focus on Montana State.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, homer said:

After the last two weeks my thought is our offense needs some more tempo.  They have looked ok when we've been down and needed scores.  We don't have to be USD or Bowling Green fast but getting to the line with 15 seconds on the play clock seems to get something more of a rythem. Not pretty but the passing game gets going enough to create some space for the running game. 

This is a good observation.  For whatever reason we struggle with getting the play in and then we have to rush through our jet motion which screws up our timing on offense.  I don't know why this continues to be an issue.  All of these guys were in this offense last year so really should have this figured out.

Tyus was in great position all day and had a nice acrobatic pick in his mitts sans an equally good play by the WR. Harris with back to back pick six games. Reyes doing what he does: causing havoc and pick six to his resume. Hunt showing a lot of athletic ability and solid cover skills. 

Is it too early to say the secondary has improved leaps and bounds?

• Upvote 2

Just got back to Fargo and that was a game I won't forget. Lots of problems early on, up 14-6 then giving up 3 TD's before the half and trailing by 20 at one point. So with 11:00 left they announce who gets the tuition money in the contest, exit the students and enter a comeback for the ages. A pick 6, 2 OT's, a bunch of review calls at the end, but most importantly A WIN!!! Heard some boos when the Fighting Hawks name was called, a "lets go Sioux" chant, and of course a "F the Bison" chant that no one but one guy repeated (probably the alcohol talking). The audio from the video board is horrible couldn't understand a word of it. The announcer was awesome, glad to have him back after missing him last year. I still would like to have Welcome to the Jungle play when the team comes out, instead of playing it then stopping for a video then the team comes out. Should be the other way around with the video first then the song as the team runs out. One thing I noticed was the multiple Hawk logos around the Alerus. Not only lit up on the advertising board and the scoreboard but along the sidelines, I don't recall a Sioux logo being displayed like that. I can't wait to go back on Homecoming and hopefully coming home after another UND win.

• Upvote 1

Just now, UND-1 said:

I will admit that USD was much better than I gave them credit for.  Did not expect their defense to be that tough up front.  

Not going to gloat one bit.  They could have won just as easy as we did.

I'm worried that has more to do with our O-line than their defensive front. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

I'm worried that has more to do with our O-line than their defensive front. 

That is what I am thinking as well. USD was giving up an average of 35 points per game before today. We made their defensive line look like a bunch of All-Americans.

Hopefully the line will get better as they work together in practice and in games. Otherwise, this season won't end up where we all want it to end up (a.k.a. the playoffs).

1 minute ago, UND-1 said:

I will admit that USD was much better than I gave them credit for.  Did not expect their defense to be that tough up front.  

Not going to gloat one bit.  They could have won just as easy as we did.

Usd wasn't necessarily that good up front.  They had 11 in the box and und ran 40 consecutive plays up the middle.  They were giving up 300 yrds per game and 7.1 ave the first two games.    Unds play calling was horrific and made them look much much better 

7 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

Tyus was in great position all day and had a nice acrobatic pick in his mitts sans an equally good play by the WR. Harris with back to back pick six games. Reyes doing what he does: causing havoc and pick six to his resume. Hunt showing a lot of athletic ability and solid cover skills. 

Is it too early to say the secondary has improved leaps and bounds?

Corner play looks pretty solid this year.  The safety play is good when Reyes is in cause Reyes is great and the other 3 safeties are somewhere around 'average'.  So without Reyes in the game, safeties are nothing spectacular.

Also disappointed in O-Line play.

USD's first pass TD should have been called back.  Labatt broke thru the line and was totally mugged.  He would have been safer on the streets of Chicago that play.  I know the staff is sending that play in for review.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Corner play looks pretty solid this year.  The safety play is good when Reyes is in cause Reyes is great and the other 3 safeties are somewhere around 'average'.  So without Reyes in the game, safeties are nothing spectacular.

USD's first pass TD should have been called back.  Labatt broke thru the line and was totally mugged.  He would have been safer on the streets of Chicago that play.  I know the staff is sending that play in for review.

Ever since we joined the Big Sky Conference, the one negative I have seen is the horrible officiating week after week. They miss stuff that shouldn't be missed. Like the non-PI call late in the game when they mugged our receiver in the end zone and got away with it.

• Upvote 2

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

Ever since we joined the Big Sky Conference, the one negative I have seen is the horrible officiating week after week. They miss stuff that shouldn't be missed. Like the non-PI call late in the game when they mugged our receiver in the end zone and got away with it.

Refs were very bad especially the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty all because our guy was getting off the receiver. Multiple holdings not called, were these Big Sky refs since it was an OOC game?  

2 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Refs were very bad especially the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty all because our guy was getting off the receiver. Multiple holdings not called, were these Big Sky refs since it was an OOC game?  

Though Hunt deserved that by getting in the guy's face. Wish Bubba would have sat him longer after that play.  That could have been the turning point in the game.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

The officiating in that game was horrid.  There is no way that they had a conclusive enough shot to overturn Santiago's first TD in overtime.  They also amateurishly almost played the entire OT in the same enzone and had to whistle the play dead immediately before the snap to correct it.