SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: UND vs USD 4pm

geaux_sioux

1 minute ago, darell1976 said:

Refs were very bad especially the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty all because our guy was getting off the receiver. Multiple holdings not called, were these Big Sky refs since it was an OOC game?  

There will always be calls missed, but when the impact is a touchdown pass the bad refs need to be reviewed.

• Upvote 2

I've never been so pissed and so happy about a game in my life. Our CBs are making plays every game now. It's incredible. I honestly never knew if I'd ever see the day the way things were going. Arnell needs to be better. It seems he is the culprit most big plays and he is not a very good tackler. I'm also not sure how Hunt didn't intercept that pass that ended up going for a long TD. He played it perfect and then got out muscled on the ball. Is Santiago dinged right now? He doesn't have his usual burst... And the OL is not helping matters. They need to grow up in a hurry because they are the major liability of this team. If the offense can find an identity that works this team could be dangerous. Til then are our own worst enemy. Oh, and it feels great to get the monkey off the back! 

1 minute ago, tnt said:

Though Hunt deserved that by getting in the guy's face. Wish Bubba would have sat him longer after that play.  That could have been the turning point in the game.

In his defense, taunting is part of the game now.  It goes on all game long on both sides.  I'm not saying it's right but it's Mickey Mouse when refs call it after big plays because they literally could call it every single play.

6 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Refs were very bad especially the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty all because our guy was getting off the receiver. Multiple holdings not called, were these Big Sky refs since it was an OOC game?  

I think they were because the host school (UND) is a Big Sky team. They certainly performed like Big Sky refs. :angry::glare:

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dlsiouxfan said:

The officiating in that game was horrid.  There is no way that they had a conclusive enough shot to overturn Santiago's first TD in overtime.  They also amateurishly almost played the entire OT in the same enzone and had to whistle the play dead immediately before the snap to correct it.  

100 % agree with Santiago.  When his cheek hit the ground his chest was on the goal line, ball was held on chest.

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I've never been so pissed and so happy about a game in my life. Our CBs are making plays every game now. It's incredible. I honestly never knew if I'd ever see the day the way things were going. Arnell needs to be better. It seems he is the culprit most big plays and he is not a very good tackler. I'm also not sure how Hunt didn't intercept that pass that ended up going for a long TD. He played it perfect and then got out muscled on the ball. Is Santiago dinged right now? He doesn't have his usual burst... And the OL is not helping matters. They need to grow up in a hurry because they are the major liability of this team. If the offense can find an identity that works this team could be dangerous. Til then are our own worst enemy. Oh, and it feels great to get the monkey off the back! 

Wasn't it Tyus Carter that got out muscled on that play?

Just now, dlsiouxfan said:

In his defense, taunting is part of the game now.  It goes on all game long on both sides.  I'm not saying it's right but it's Mickey Mouse when refs call it after big plays because they literally could call it every single play.

You're right, there is a lot of that, but that is where I would hope our coaches could teach discipline, not knowing when it will be called.  It is selfish to even risk it, because it makes it all about you, not the team. You rid your team of that type of selfish behavior, you have a leg up on just about every team.

• Upvote 1

Just now, tnt said:

You're right, there is a lot of that, but that is where I would hope our coaches could teach discipline, not knowing when it will be called.  It is selfish to even risk it, because it makes it all about you, not the team. You rid your team of that type of selfish behavior, you have a leg up on just about every team.

I am pretty sure Bubba will drive that point home in practice next week.

10 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

saw arnell on wed...could hardly walk...got dinged in practice but his family was in town to watch him play...don't think he was anywhere near 100 percent but yes he has to step up...

Lots of talk about the O-line. I think the difference between the line of late last year and early this year can be summed up in two words: Elijah Grady. Our run game would be much more effective with him bowling over defenders. Too bad it didn't work out. And thus can solved in three words:. Next man up. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

No way man. I was watching on tv and called the penalty before the flag flew. The corner had a tremendous play to break up the pass, theb stood over the receiver, stared him down and ran his mouth. It was a STUPID but earned penalty. Could have cost us the game,but a hard less learned for the young man. At least we came back and won, because that penalty was a momentum shift.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Great comeback and win but anyone who watched that game live knows this team has a long long ways to go. Most of all I'm surprised by the lack of discipline...too many stupid penalties coupled with poor decision making and execution too many times. Not what I wanted to see in game 3 with Bubba at the helm. Defensively this team will be ok. Reyes was the best player on the field for most of the game. O-line is average by FCS standards and that's generous. Santiago and Brady got yards out of nothing time and time again yesterday. Studs......I know he's the best UND has at that position but he is wildly inconsistent in his throws and decision making. To defend him to some extent his options to throw to are not even average FCS talent at this stage. No game changers on the outside whatsoever. Special teams are solid. The potential for a good FB team is there. For 2/3 of that game yesterday UND was far from a good FB team but this week vs USD was a must win IMO...and they checked it off the list. Next Saturday is another vs MSU. Oh and it was Carter that lost the battle on the long TD play.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

No way man. I was watching on tv and called the penalty before the flag flew. The corner had a tremendous play to break up the pass, theb stood over the receiver, stared him down and ran his mouth. It was a STUPID but earned penalty. Could have cost us the game,but a hard less learned for the young man. At least we came back and won, because that penalty was a momentum shift.

I agree. STUPID! I know its a freshman, but you can't do that. It was a turning point. He made a nice play, and would have been 3rd and long; instead it's 15 yards and they kept marching.

47 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Great comeback and win but anyone who watched that game live knows this team has a long long ways to go. Most of all I'm surprised by the lack of discipline...too many stupid penalties coupled with poor decision making and execution too many times. Not what I wanted to see in game 3 with Bubba at the helm. Defensively this team will be ok. Reyes was the best player on the field for most of the game. O-line is average by FCS standards and that's generous. Santiago and Brady got yards out of nothing time and time again yesterday. Studs......I know he's the best UND has at that position but he is wildly inconsistent in his throws and decision making. To defend him to some extent his options to throw to are not even average FCS talent at this stage. No game changers on the outside whatsoever. Special teams are solid. The potential for a good FB team is there. For 2/3 of that game yesterday UND was far from a good FB team but this week vs USD was a must win IMO...and they checked it off the list. Next Saturday is another vs MSU. Oh and it was Carter that lost the battle on the long TD play.

Agree about Studs. I wish someone was pushing him for PT, but that's not the case. I agree the receivers aren't flying around out there, but it doesn't matter as he simply chooses which one he's passing to as soon as he gets the ball from center, locks on that guy and throws it. Sometimes it works and it worked enough times to get a W.

8 hours ago, dlsiouxfan said:

I disagree.  holding is part of the game, too...everybody does it.  It's a penalty.  I bet it can get called on every single play.

You do something stupid, you get flagged.    Taunting?!!  Player gets flagged for that it's on that player alone.  And "yes", that's when the wheels started to come off.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Agreed on everything. 

We've discussed for months two major concerns:

1)  O line.  Most of us agreed it would take 3-4 games for this unit to gel and get to where they would be comfortable with all the line reads.  There is talent here.  They have not been getting a good push and Demon seems to be the main culprit.  He is way to good and I expected more from him.  I hope to see a change against mont st (game 4) that will get the momentum going forward. The loss of elijah is massive

2) cb or secondary.  Much improved from last year. Love the way they are defending.   Very thin in numbers however.  If Deion and cole are to go down this unit will be hurting.  Noticed arnell with a big gimp...hope he's ok.  I really like Torrey, wish he would start opposite of Deion.   I feel they are Unds best 2 cbs.  Torrey is getting more comfortable by the week, definitely doesn't seem to be playing like a fresh.  Needs to make the play and get back to next play......no stupid personal foul crap. 

Und finally got a "w" even though it wasn't pretty.   I hope it's a momentum swing for the team and coaches. 

Und doesn't have a bye week this year to get that mid season heal up time so remaining healthy is very crucial.  

Another bright spot was there but punting unit.  We must have pinned them inside the 5 or 10 yard line.  Nice punt and coverage.  We didn't expect that in the beginning of the  season.

I think tyus should have worked on the pass breakup rather than interception. I don't think he saw the field again after that.  We do have good CB's and only going to get better.