SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: UND vs USD 4pm

geaux_sioux

That win can change a season. UND played terrible FB for almost 3 quarters but they hung in there. Got a huge break with the late pick 6 then cash in in OT. Have to parlay this win into a road win next week vs the Cats.

• Upvote 1

First, tremendous effort by the boys to complete the comeback. We were down and out, and we clawed our way back in. There must be a curse for USD in the Alerus.

Second, hats off to USD. They played a great game, and really controlled the play. Steveler was everything that he was advertised to be and more. I was really impressed with their defensive front, and how they dominated our O-Line for the majority of the game. Our O-Line seriously needs to find a rhythm going into the conference schedule.

Pros: We got a WIN. Despite giving up so many points, our D still made a lot of plays including critical defensive TDs. I'll cut our D some credit for giving up so many pts, since they were on the field so much. Congrats to Toivenen on his TV, and brilliant catch by Wanzek early in the game.

Cons: Offense is still struggling overall. Not sure why Studs is struggling so much after a nice season last yer, but he needs to find some consistency. We're not going to be able to keep up with these type of rally games all year, so we need to figure out how to play offense early and consistently. We have a great D, but they are getting wore out.

We truly escaped with a win, BUT WE WON. Time to move forward and focus on Mt St. Move to 2-2 and this is a whole new season (one with a nice road win). Lets do it guys!

10 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

You have a better chance of seeing Oxbow6 at a Bernie Sanders rally than cheering for NDSU...

I'm surprised he flew out to Tampa to support NDSU at the frozen four.  And he goes to your Hoggsbreath Sioux gathering with all his NDSU crap....

• Upvote 1

I'm just going to throw this out there ...

We beat USD ....

USD beat NDSU last season...

We basically just beat Iowa, and we're pretty much 5 time Nat'l Champs!!!!!  (I'm joking for those who don't get satire)

Honestly, props to our guys for finding a way to win. Also a sincere congrats to the Bison for their win. You just keep thinking they have level off and come back to reality a bit, and they keep finding a way to do pretty astonishing things. You can hate the team or the fans, but can't deny what they have done. Hats off to them. Truly hope we can get to somewhat of that status at some point. I know a lot of NDSU fans that never expected to see this program become what it has. Programs can change and pic up momentum, and I hope UND can find that in the future.

USD exposed a lot of issue for UND, and hopefully we can figure it out. Right now, I'm just happy with the win. On to Mt St.

49 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

How empty was the Alerus when the comeback started ? I hope the students watched the end after the first half

Students pulled out immediately after the scholarship announcement.

Also lots of empty seats besides the students after the first half.  

Those that stayed made a lot of noise during the comeback. 

• Upvote 2

As said last week the slow starts to the games are becoming a pattern....and the pattern continued today. 

USD got comfortable with that large lead, and I leaned over in the third and half jokingly said we "got them right where we want them."......and I might have also said "Lets make them trash the locker room again." at that time. :lol:

Wow - even after this exciting win it is hard to know what to make of this team.   I think if we took an honest look at the team we would see some glaring weaknesses that we hoped would go away with Muss - specifically, a Junior quarterback who has seriously regressed (even with our new indoor practice facility) an offensive line with absolutely no push, play calling that usually is a serious determent, a lack of team speed, and very undisciplined play.  I expected much more from this team in their third game.  Add in a patented slow start and you have 1-2.  I am seriously very tired of the imbalance in college football in North Dakota year after year.  A frustrating team to follow so far.  

There's flaws for sure. I've never been sold on Studsrud as a championship caliber QB, though his legs are much better than his arm. He still sits on his target from start of play to pass. I'm more concerned about team D. SD ran when they wanted and passed when they wanted all the game. We stiffened when we needed to and most importantly

THIS WAS THE BEST WIN I'VE SEEN IN YEARS. I was there and it was loud for most of the game and it was a great W.

It's pretty amazing how far the secondary has come in just a couple years. Muss' last year, any team that had even a mediocre air game was good for 35pts. 

I was at the Great West championship winning game in 2011, and almost feel bad for USD the similar way this ended. But UND needed the win so much more.

Keaton needs his 4th quarter mojo to be there all game. But whatever the cause, it's pretty cool that this team can put points up when needed. 

3 minutes ago, shep said:

There's flaws for sure. I've never been sold on Studsrud as a championship caliber QB, though his legs are much better than his arm. He still sits on his target from start of play to pass. I'm more concerned about team D. SD ran when they wanted and passed when they wanted all the game. We stiffened when we needed to and most importantly

THIS WAS THE BEST WIN I'VE SEEN IN YEARS. I was there and it was loud for most of the game and it was a great W.

Not sure I agree with "SD ran and passed when they wanted all the game."  They may have in the first half, but we shut them out after their first possession of the second half, until OT.

I was at the game and was wondering if anyone noticed that Reyes didn't play for most of the 4th quarter and OT (and we still managed to win).  Hope it's nothing serious.

6 minutes ago, shep said:

3 minutes ago, shep said: