SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: UND vs USD 4pm

geaux_sioux

14 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Not sure. They need to try something different with the OL. They are holding the offense back in every way possible.

he's kinda undersized but at center that can be a bonus sometimes...move coe and bench whoever is struggling...for all we know bell's shoe fell off but I remember him out there for a few snaps...

9 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

he's kinda undersized but at center that can be a bonus sometimes...move coe and bench whoever is struggling...for all we know bell's shoe fell off but I remember him out there for a few snaps...

The edge that Aplin plays with could be contagious for that unit. I'm very open to the coaches trying some new combos out.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Irish said:

You know what is a real crowd killer? - Run the ball, same play, feeble 3rd down attempt, punt then same play same play same play punt - repeat for 6 possessions.  There is absolutely no excuse for any football team at any level to have a string of futility and stubbornness like this.  None.  Shame Shame Shame on Rudolf and Shame on Bubba for allowing it.  That may be the worst stretch of offensive football I have ever seen.  And how did we go from too many quarterbacks to all of our eggs in the Studsrud basket - Not sure if I have seen a QB regress so far from his Sophomore to Junior year ever in this program.  

^^ absolutely !!! 100% agree

I will scream this every week ........use your damn TEs!!!!!!  

very predicatable and very frustrating.   Any DC should love going against us.  Then when it's an obvious pass play on 3rd down we are in shotgun, they bring the house for either a sack or a run for your life situation for Keaton.  Can we not pass on first downs??  Is this a rule of Randolph!?  98% of the time in the last three years it's a run on first down, the opposing teams have figured this out.  

I really feel that Keaton should sit the first qtr or more against mont st. He is just not tuned in.  Maybe it would be better having him watch the game ffrom the sideline to see whst the d is bringing??  Idk. Thank god for Santiago's ability 

• Upvote 2

They pass the first play of the game and guess what huge gain.  Need to play less predictable.

Very disappointed in the number of people leaving early yesterday.  Seemed like a slap in the face with all the students that left early after bubba's bucks was announced.  I guess it is not enough to give the students free tickets now they need to be paid to come to the game.  I just don't get it.

Great first win of the season, now need to carry momentum into the next few games and go on a win streak

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Hopefully Cloyd getting in last game is a sign that they will increase the looks to the TEs. I also think we should throw more back shoulder stuff to our WRs. They are tall and reliable and ate USD alive on back shoulder throws.

only problem with back shoulder throws is that the play is normally done at that point...whether its five yards or 30...it seems like a lot of the routes the guys run when they catch them they are turned the wrong way instead of hitting them on a "route" pointed to the endzone?

but yes...I've been saying for years that our te's are almost totally ignored...adler got some touches towards the end of his career but yes largely ignored for years.

Speaking of taunting, I've noticed Santiago tapping on the helmets of opposing players after he makes a play on them - could that be considered taunting (he did it right after the touchdown catch against SD) and a few other times. We can't afford to put anything in the hands of the referees. 

44 minutes ago, homer said:

I really don't think it's completely the oline play, it's the predictable play calling and QB struggling to make some throws.  USD manned up on the outside and played to stop the run.  My thoughts:

- Olivera needs more carries

- need to show some jet sweep action with Santiago and time it up right to have it be a threat.  WATCH tape on how NDSU uses it

- pick up the pace on offense.  Studrud and our offense looks more comfortable.  The best they have looked this year was vs Bowling Green and USD in the 2nd half when we needed points.  

- for as good as Santiago has been, a little less east and west

- rushing numbers will get better starting next week as the defenses in the big sky will not be as physical as what we have seen so far.  

- defense needs a little more discipline 

- LOL at the guy last week that said Reyes is overrated. He just needs to stay healthy

We need to move the pocket, roll out, PA and roll the pocket to change things up some times.  Our base pass block pocket is too tight and too predictable.  Keaton throws well on the run.  I feel our offensive identity is still MIA this season.

• Upvote 1

Took a peak at the play by play summary from the game... Ran 26 plays on 1st down. 6 pass attempts & 20 rush attempts. (There were a couple of Keaton runs - can't remember if all were designed or if some were scrambles from pressure).... Regardless, we are still running over 70% of 1st down plays. I understand our run-first mentality, but even us arm-chair QBs watching & in the stands know what's coming. 

http://www.undsports.com/downloads2/1198504.HTM?ATCLID=211174964&SPSID=58640&SPID=6399&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=13500#GAME.PLY

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

We need to move the pocket, roll out, PA and roll the pocket to change things up some times.  Our base pass block pocket is too tight and too predictable.  Keaton throws well on the run.  I feel our offensive identity is still MIA this season.

Don't disagree with this either.

I just didn't want to pile on the oline.  While their play needs to improve, we have 4 new starters and need to do some things to help them, along with the offense.  

10 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Actually, our offensive identity is pretty well established - one yard plunges till the cows come home.  Especially on first down - and we'll keep doing it until you stop us

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Speaking of taunting, I've noticed Santiago tapping on the helmets of opposing players after he makes a play on them - could that be considered taunting (he did it right after the touchdown catch against SD) and a few other times. We can't afford to put anything in the hands of the referees. 

Noticed that too.  Just do your job without all the bravado. This team can't afford giving up 15 boneheaded plays

13 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

I viewed it as a kind of "good effort" gesture (on the td play).  Santiago seems like a pretty humble kid.  Doesn't look like taunting to me. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

only problem with back shoulder throws is that the play is normally done at that point...whether its five yards or 30...it seems like a lot of the routes the guys run when they catch them they are turned the wrong way instead of hitting them on a "route" pointed to the endzone?

but yes...I've been saying for years that our te's are almost totally ignored...adler got some touches towards the end of his career but yes largely ignored for years.

Adler was an absolute stud!  Had they given him more a chance to prove it he would of been on some all American lists.  Guy was incredibly built, hands of glue and an extremely hard worker.  He is dearly missed.  

2 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Adler was an absolute stud!  Had they given him more a chance to prove it he would of been on some all American lists.  Guy was incredibly built, hands of glue and an extremely hard worker.  He is dearly missed.  

agree with everything on adler...hope they don't take three and half years to figure out that alex c is a special type of te...

19 minutes ago, Westside said:

I viewed it as a kind of "good effort" gesture (on the td play).  Santiago seems like a pretty humble kid.  Doesn't look like taunting to me. 

I did as well, however on one of his better runs he got in the D man's face in a taunting manner, similar to Hunt. We don't need that on either side of the ball. Do your job, and act like you've been there before. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Productive offensive identity.....to clarify.

The concept of Bubba Ball is fantastic and one most fans love, but it only works if you can impose your will on teams - see Iowa - and even then you need to mix it up.  Here's my prediction:  - When we play weaker teams we will look like world-beaters.  We have two running backs that can rip you a new one if they get some space, and our defense is good enough to help with field position.  When things are going our way, Rudolf looks like Lane Kiffin and will mix it up.  Studsrud without any pressure will start to look good.  The faithful will think we have arrived (again).  Our defense is good enough to get us to 6-4 or 7-3 and we will be happy.  However, every time we run into a good defense we revert to yesterdays version of the offense.  It happens year after year.  Until this changes we will be a good team but never get over the hump.  We allow good teams to go 8 in the box all day long.

53 minutes ago, Irish said:

The concept of Bubba Ball is fantastic and one most fans love, but it only works if you can impose your will on teams - see Iowa - and even then you need to mix it up.  Here's my prediction:  - When we play weaker teams we will look like world-beaters.  We have two running backs that can rip you a new one if they get some space, and our defense is good enough to help with field position.  When things are going our way, Rudolf looks like Lane Kiffin and will mix it up.  Studsrud without any pressure will start to look good.  The faithful will think we have arrived (again).  Our defense is good enough to get us to 6-4 or 7-3 and we will be happy.  However, every time we run into a good defense we revert to yesterdays version of the offense.  It happens year after year.  Until this changes we will be a good team but never get over the hump.  We allow good teams to go 8 in the box all day long.

I would like to clarify that USD has a terrible d.  Brutal ! Worse then anything we will see in the big sky.  They can slow down predictable teams that run up the #2 hole every play.  Makes the DC look really good 

• Upvote 1