SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: UND vs USD 4pm

geaux_sioux

2 hours ago, RD17 said:

Be careful. I found out last week that this kind of talk about Reyes is not acceptable around here. :silly:

What you are saying is correct. He is the most talented player out there on defense for UND, but he makes too many mistakes to be considered an elite defender. Great safeties do not make coverage mistakes each game that lead to TDs.

Wo wo wo!!! You said he was over rated, I said nothing like that.  I said he had to tighten up his pass coverage a tad.

Reyes is a great tackler, I wonder if he loves coming up and making plays against the run so much he gets a little antsy to come up and lay the wood that guys slip by him sometimes?  It looked like the USD TD may have been on him but I'm not sure.  Hopefully he can remain a bit more healthy though the rest of the year. If he had been healthy and played 4 quarters every game.....he'd likely be our leading tackler.  Usually I don't think having a safety be your leading tackler is a good thing is it?  Means  the guys up front aren't making the play......however he is so good at coming up and making the tackle that is a big part of why he has so many. 

6 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Reyes is a great tackler, I wonder if he loves coming up and making plays against the run so much he gets a little antsy to come up and lay the wood that guys slip by him sometimes?  It looked like the USD TD may have been on him but I'm not sure.  Hopefully he can remain a bit more healthy though the rest of the year. If he had been healthy and played 4 quarters every game.....he'd likely be our leading tackler.  Usually I don't think having a safety be your leading tackler is a good thing is it?  Means  the guys up front aren't making the play......however he is so good at coming up and making the tackle that is a big part of why he has so many. 

With the amount of plays he makes near the line of scrimmage I'd say the rule of thumb doesn't apply here. If his tackles were down field I would completely agree.

Just now, geaux_sioux said:

With the amount of plays he makes near the line of scrimmage I'd say the rule of thumb doesn't apply here. If his tackles were down field I would completely agree.

I agree with that, most of his tackles are near the line of scrimmage, not down field.  However I wonder if since he is making so many plays at the line of scrimmage and being aggressive, could that potentially leave him vulnerable to getting beat over the top?  Not saying he is.......more just a question or thought. 

4 hours ago, UND-1 said:

Which stats are off?  Wednesday morning brain teaser!  

Turnovers for sure.  I was also under the impression UND actually finished with more yards than USD, but I may have been off there.  They also have a guy with the last name Riley catching a touchdown for USD.  After a little research, I see a guy named Riley Donovan caught a TD, so maybe the UND stats guy just knows him personally and decided to go with the first name. ;)

13 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

It looked like the USD TD may have been on him but I'm not sure. 

I just went back and watched the first USD TD on the fullback up the seam.  Cover zero, tight end blocked down and fullback came out like was going to go to the flat on a quick hitter.  I stand corrected - that one was on Reyes. 

Tough read, great play design by USD. "Gotcha" play. I imagine they broke a film tendency there too.

The play before that, Cole ran up the seam with the inside WR on a double-move and broke up the pass in the end zone. ;)

If I was the opposing offensive coordinator and saw how many plays Reyes was making up at the line of scrimmage, I guarantee you I'd design at least 1 or 2 plays specifically to try and take advantage of that aggressiveness and burn him deep, just like the USD coordinator did on that play.   All safeties get burned deep at some point by a good play design and fake.  Since Cole makes so many plays by the line of scrimmage it's just something that we'll have to look and see if he ends up getting taken advantage of more than just on a rare occasion. But believe me other offensive coordinators are going to do their best to do so. 

4 hours ago, UND-1 said:

Here we go, kids.  The first down plays from the USD game, copy and pasted in all their glory.

Breakdown:

Run = 23

Pass = 6

So UND is trying to run on first down, right?  The goal is to gain 4+ yards on first down to create an easy, two-way second down play that puts the defense in a tough spot.  

How many times did they get 4+ yards on first down RUNNING the ball?   Answer = 12 for 23

How many times did they get 4+ yards on first down PASSING the ball?   Answer = 3 for 6  

Judging from those numbers, HALF the time UND got what they wanted on first down running the ball.  HALF the time UND got what they wanted passing the ball.  

This tells me that they aren't operating at the level they want to no matter what they do.  Efficiency on first down is LOW right now.  

1-10 at Und27 Keaton Studsrud pass complete to Noah Wanzek for 37 yards to the USD36, 1ST DOWN UND (Warner,Jacob).
1-10 at Usd36 John Santiago rush for 3 yards to the USD33 (Mertlik,Colin;Coker,Alex).
1-15 at Und10 John Santiago rush for 10 yards to the UND20, fumble forced by Warner,Jacob,
1-10 at Und33 Brady Oliveira rush for 13 yards to the UND46, 1ST DOWN UND
1-10 at Und46 John Santiago rush for loss of 2 yards to the UND44
1-10 at Usd44 Brady Oliveira rush for 2 yards to the USD42
1-10 at Usd42 Brady Oliveira rush for 4 yards to the USD38
1-10 at Usd29 Keaton Studsrud pass incomplete to Travis Toivonen
1-10 at Und25 John Santiago rush for 1 yard to the UND26
1-10 at Usd38 John Santiago rush for 6 yards to the USD32
1-10 at Usd15 John Santiago rush for 2 yards to the USD13
1-10 at Und10 Keaton Studsrud rush for 4 yards to the UND14 
1-10 at Und19 John Santiago rush for 1 yard to the UND20
1-10 at Und25 John Santiago rush for 12 yards to the UND37
1-10 at Und37 Keaton Studsrud pass complete to Luke Stanley for 7 yards to the UND44

Halftime

1-10 at Und17 John Santiago rush for 2 yards to the UND19
1-10 at Und26 John Santiago rush for no gain to the UND26
1-10 at Und38 Keaton Studsrud rush for 6 yards to the UND44
1-10 at Usd18 Brady Oliveira rush for 5 yards to the USD13 
1-10 at Und38 John Santiago rush for 4 yards to the UND42
1-10 at Und48 Keaton Studsrud pass incomplete to John Santiago
1-10 at Usd39 Keaton Studsrud rush for loss of 2 yards to the USD41
1-10 at Usd13 Keaton Studsrud pass complete to Alex Cloyd for 6 yards to the USD7
1-10 at Und33 Keaton Studsrud rush for loss of 1 yard to the UND32 
1-10 at Und47 Keaton Studsrud pass incomplete to John Santiago
1-10 at Usd16 John Santiago rush for 5 yards to the USD11
1-10 at Usd25 John Santiago rush for 25 yards to the USD0, 1ST DOWN UND, TOUCHDOWN

Overtime

1-10 at Usd25 John Santiago rush for no gain to the USD25 
1-G at Usd08 John Santiago rush for 7 yards to the USD1 

To take this a step further, 6 pass plays for 50 yards = 8.33 yard average

23 run plays for 107 yards = 4.65 yard average

without the 25 yard TD scamper (so for most of the game) 22 run plays for 82 yards = 3.73 yard average

Passing looks good on 1st down and that's at a 50% completion.  On 1st down, should be near 75% completion especially coming from run heavy team.  Why??  Cause teams are not expecting it and we don't need long yardage, short and medium passes will do.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

To take this a step further, 6 pass plays for 50 yards = 8.33 yard average

23 run plays for 107 yards = 4.65 yard average

without the 25 yard TD scamper (so for most of the game) 22 run plays for 82 yards = 3.73 yard average

Passing looks good on 1st down and that's at a 50% completion.  On 1st down, should be near 75% completion especially coming from run heavy team.  Why??  Cause teams are not expecting it and we don't need long yardage, short and medium passes will do.  

To be fair, if you are going to take out one big running play, it would be fair to take out the outlier on the pass side, which was the first play of the game. Meaning that after the first play of the game, the 5 passes on first down netted 13 yards, which is a dismal 2.6 yard average (mainly due to 3 of remaining 5 being incomplete).

I do think that they need to work in some more play action on first down especially with the tight end leaking to the middle of the field or just out into the flats because I'm pretty sure it will be open. To your point, no reason they shouldn't be well above 50% and the numbers will improve with that and conversely should help stop teams from selling out on the run. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UND-1 said:

Here we go, kids.  The first down plays from the USD game, copy and pasted in all their glory.

Breakdown:

Run = 23

Pass = 6

So UND is trying to run on first down, right?  The goal is to gain 4+ yards on first down to create an easy, two-way second down play that puts the defense in a tough spot.  

How many times did they get 4+ yards on first down RUNNING the ball?   Answer = 12 for 23

How many times did they get 4+ yards on first down PASSING the ball?   Answer = 3 for 6  

Judging from those numbers, HALF the time UND got what they wanted on first down running the ball.  HALF the time UND got what they wanted passing the ball.  

This tells me that they aren't operating at the level they want to no matter what they do.  Efficiency on first down is LOW right now.  

1-10 at Und27 Keaton Studsrud pass complete to Noah Wanzek for 37 yards to the USD36, 1ST DOWN UND (Warner,Jacob).
1-10 at Usd36 John Santiago rush for 3 yards to the USD33 (Mertlik,Colin;Coker,Alex).
1-15 at Und10 John Santiago rush for 10 yards to the UND20, fumble forced by Warner,Jacob,
1-10 at Und33 Brady Oliveira rush for 13 yards to the UND46, 1ST DOWN UND
1-10 at Und46 John Santiago rush for loss of 2 yards to the UND44
1-10 at Usd44 Brady Oliveira rush for 2 yards to the USD42
1-10 at Usd42 Brady Oliveira rush for 4 yards to the USD38
1-10 at Usd29 Keaton Studsrud pass incomplete to Travis Toivonen
1-10 at Und25 John Santiago rush for 1 yard to the UND26
1-10 at Usd38 John Santiago rush for 6 yards to the USD32
1-10 at Usd15 John Santiago rush for 2 yards to the USD13
1-10 at Und10 Keaton Studsrud rush for 4 yards to the UND14 
1-10 at Und19 John Santiago rush for 1 yard to the UND20
1-10 at Und25 John Santiago rush for 12 yards to the UND37
1-10 at Und37 Keaton Studsrud pass complete to Luke Stanley for 7 yards to the UND44

Halftime

1-10 at Und17 John Santiago rush for 2 yards to the UND19
1-10 at Und26 John Santiago rush for no gain to the UND26
1-10 at Und38 Keaton Studsrud rush for 6 yards to the UND44
1-10 at Usd18 Brady Oliveira rush for 5 yards to the USD13 
1-10 at Und38 John Santiago rush for 4 yards to the UND42
1-10 at Und48 Keaton Studsrud pass incomplete to John Santiago
1-10 at Usd39 Keaton Studsrud rush for loss of 2 yards to the USD41
1-10 at Usd13 Keaton Studsrud pass complete to Alex Cloyd for 6 yards to the USD7
1-10 at Und33 Keaton Studsrud rush for loss of 1 yard to the UND32 
1-10 at Und47 Keaton Studsrud pass incomplete to John Santiago
1-10 at Usd16 John Santiago rush for 5 yards to the USD11
1-10 at Usd25 John Santiago rush for 25 yards to the USD0, 1ST DOWN UND, TOUCHDOWN

Overtime

1-10 at Usd25 John Santiago rush for no gain to the USD25 
1-G at Usd08 John Santiago rush for 7 yards to the USD1 

My complaint is the 1st half.  It's the first half that und usually digs a hole for themselves.  So there were 15 first downs in the first half for und:  

12 of 15 times it was rush on 1st down(80%) only three of fifteen go for 7 yards or more , two of those immediately followed the first 1st down of the game which was a pass, big gains of 10 and 13.   Und initially stunned usd with a 1st down pass.  Made them defend the entire field.  Not so predictable.  The rest of the half was in par with his playbook. The half ended with 9 of the 11 first  downs were runs, only one going over 7 yards or more. Five went for 2 yards or less.   Most of which were  Santiago up the middle.   Predicatable 

USD does not have a good d. They were giving up 297 yards a game at a 7.1 ave against the rush (New Mexico and weber).   If not so predictable, a home run hitter like santiago would of abused them for the tune of 250 yards even with a inexperienced line. 

I used 7 yards or more instead of your 4 yards simply because usd was giving up 7.1 through the two first games against so so competition.  Santiago's abilities far exceed the play calling 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

To be fair, if you are going to take out one big running play, it would be fair to take out the outlier on the pass side, which was the first play of the game. Meaning that after the first play of the game, the 5 passes on first down netted 13 yards, which is a dismal 2.6 yard average (mainly due to 3 of remaining 5 being incomplete).

I do think that they need to work in some more play action on first down especially with the tight end leaking to the middle of the field or just out into the flats because I'm pretty sure it will be open. To your point, no reason they shouldn't be well above 50% and the numbers will improve with that and conversely should help stop teams from selling out on the run. 

Kinda fair....the pass play was right away, was exciting, showed how effective it could be.

We had to wait around all game long......and into overtime before the 25 yard run.  So for the entire game in regulation, running the ball was 3.73 average.  That's why I looked at it that way.

8 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Kinda fair....the pass play was right away, was exciting, showed how effective it could be.

We had to wait around all game long......and into overtime before the 25 yard run.  So for the entire game in regulation, running the ball was 3.73 average.  That's why I looked at it that way.

No disagreements. Numbers always amuse me, same things can be used to tell multiple stories and prove opposite points. Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics.

To the point, doubt anyone would disagree that they need to add a few more passes to the 1st down call sheet. Not the home run type, just the safe 4-8 yard variety. And preferably no cross field 10 yard outs!

33 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

My complaint is the 1st half.  It's the first half that und usually digs a hole for themselves.  So there were 15 first downs in the first half for und:  

12 of 15 times it was rush on 1st down(80%) only three of fifteen go for 7 yards or more , two of those immediately followed the first 1st down of the game which was a pass, big gains of 10 and 13.   Und initially stunned usd with a 1st down pass.  Made them defend the entire field.  Not so predictable.  The rest of the half was in par with his playbook. The half ended with 9 of the 11 first  downs were runs, only one going over 7 yards or more. Five went for 2 yards or less.   Most of which were  Santiago up the middle.   Predicatable 

USD does not have a good d. They were giving up 297 yards a game at a 7.1 ave against the rush (New Mexico and weber).   If not so predictable, a home run hitter like santiago would of abused them for the tune of 250 yards even with a inexperienced line. 

I used 7 yards or more instead of your 4 yards simply because usd was giving up 7.1 through the two first games against so so competition.  Santiago's abilities far exceed the play calling 

This shows Rudolf at his best.  

7 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Did you see any of the USD vs New Mexico game?  Almost like playing Cal Poly and what they did to SDSU. 

• 2 months later...