SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: UND vs USD 4pm

geaux_sioux

55 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

"Dad........how many 3 and outs do I have to sit thru. We suck."

"Bobby, you know Rudolph doesn't open up the play book until the early 4th when we are down by 2 scores. Just shut up and finish your pretzel!"

".......but Dad the pretzel is dry and stale plus I'm thirsty. Can we go?"

"No and stop whining. I want to see the call will be a bubble screen on 3rd and 8 again."

What kind of dad would get his kid a pretzel when there are dip n dots? 

7 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

We need to move the pocket, roll out, PA and roll the pocket to change things up some times.  Our base pass block pocket is too tight and too predictable.  Keaton throws well on the run.  I feel our offensive identity is still MIA this season.

Completely agree. Running the ball the majority of the time is fine, but the play-action and counter game is not there yet. Play-action bootlegs with a run/pass option are desperately needed given Studsrud's abilities. Get Cloyd and any other TE that can run routes and catch involved more. Also, I think Santiago and Oliveira should be in the game at the same time a lot more. We'll see what Bubba and Rudolph come up with, but there needs to be some minor changes.

Defense played great on Saturday, especially when you factor in the two defensive touchdowns; however, they can't give up the big play (the long TD pass against Tyus Carter was pathetic in terms of execution and it was a back-breaker). If the offense doesn't turn it over and they sustain drives better, the defense can shine and should be able to hold down the scoring quite well. The 34 points given up in regulation on Saturday was skewed by bad UND T.O.P. and big pass plays. UND's offense has to help out the defense some. 

1 hour ago, lawkota said:

To these posters bitching about the students: What about the 1500+ others that left early? I'm in the lower level of 205 and it was noticeably sparse to start the 4th.

On the whole though, I thought the crowd was great.

Section 214 was pretty empty after they announced the winner. Pretty sad as they missed one hell of a comeback.

39 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Completely agree. Running the ball the majority of the time is fine, but the play-action and counter game is not there yet. Play-action bootlegs with a run/pass option are desperately needed given Studsrud's abilities. Get Cloyd and any other TE that can run routes and catch involved more. Also, I think Santiago and Oliveira should be in the game at the same time a lot more. We'll see what Bubba and Rudolph come up with, but there needs to be some minor changes.

Defense played great on Saturday, especially when you factor in the two defensive touchdowns; however, they can't give up the big play (the long TD pass against Tyus Carter was pathetic in terms of execution and it was a back-breaker). If the offense doesn't turn it over and they sustain drives better, the defense can shine and should be able to hold down the scoring quite well. The 34 points given up in regulation on Saturday was skewed by bad UND T.O.P. and big pass plays. UND's offense has to help out the defense some. 

If the offense can keep some drives going and give the defense a rest then I think we will see what the  D can really do. It would also keep the other teams offense out of rhythm. Build a lead, shutdown the run game and get after the QB. That's the kind of game I would like to watch. (keeps the blood pressure down)

Outside of a handful of years the student section at UND football game has been crap.  They only support a winner and sometimes not even that.  Most fans in all sports are fair weather type fans and UND has plenty of them and I am not just talking about the student section this is all fans.  If the game is important enough to attend I would like to think most could stick it our to support the team.  Some likely have good reason to leave early but a mass exodus does seem more like they aren't really at the game to support and cheer on the team. 

Most college students don't have anything so important they need to leave mid game although large chunks of this game were hard to watch. 

9 hours ago, NoDakFan said:

Student here - who did stick around the whole game. That's just an asinine, holier than thou, thing to say. You think we enjoyed the beat down we were getting prior to the 4th quarter? We showed up in a huge number, - following an 0-2 start just to see the team start getting whipped. Like it or not we have better things to do if we decide the activity isn't worth our time, whether that's UND football or not. 

I do take a little offense at the attitude because you imply that student shouldn't show or the football team is lucky students showed up because they were 0 - 2 going into the game.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NoDakFan said:

EDIT: Let me be clear. I want people to stay the whole game. I wish we had a packed house every game for the whole game. But I'm also not gonna go jump down their throats for leaving or call them snowflakes and entitled because they want to do something else. 

Well UND and Grand Forks does have a lot of "snowflakes" but that isn't new. 

5 hours ago, MoSiouxFan said:

Totally agree.  I don't think that Santiago is that kind of a kid.  I agree that he comes across as a pretty humble kid.

I just don't want to have him get into a habit that would give referee's the chance to throw a flag as they might see it differently.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, lawkota said:

To these posters bitching about the students: What about the 1500+ others that left early? I'm in the lower level of 205 and it was noticeably sparse to start the 4th.

On the whole though, I thought the crowd was great.

The fans that left had their reasons for leaving.  Maybe their 4 year old kid was antsy and couldn't sit still any longer.  Maybe they had a night ob that they had to get to.  Seeing fans leave during the game sucks whether they are students or not.  Everyone had their reasons for leaving, justified or not.  The reason the students are getting ripped is it is obvious the reason they stuck around.  Once the tuition prize was awarded, they left in masses.  So it is not off limits to question your reasons and your motives for being at the game.  

10 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The fans that left had their reasons for leaving.  Maybe their 4 year old kid was antsy and couldn't sit still any longer.  Maybe they had a night ob that they had to get to.  Seeing fans leave during the game sucks whether they are students or not.  Everyone had their reasons for leaving, justified or not.  The reason the students are getting ripped is it is obvious the reason they stuck around.  Once the tuition prize was awarded, they left in masses.  So it is not off limits to question your reasons and your motives for being at the game.  

After USD marched down the field the opening drive of the 3rd quarter to make it a 20 point game, can you blame kids who weren't really fans before the game for saying "Well, we may as well stick around for the tuition drawing"?  This was UND's opportunity to convince them to become fans and the offense fell flat for 45 minutes..... again.

29 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Something that really got under my skin was at the beginning of the game when UND was on offense trying to run plays, and our student section was booing the Fighting Hawks name being said over the PA, and starting Sioux Forever cheers.  Smart.  

Real classy 

They might get their point across a little better if they protest at a march while holding up signs that read " sioux logos matter".   At least they had some pride and left early 

What I learned this weekend:

- The offensive line still needs a lot of work. 2nd and goal at the 1 foot line in the 2nd OT, to win, and no push? So goes the offensive line, so goes the season. 

- There's a play USD needs to take out of their play book. It was good for 14 point ... for UND's defense. Their QB can not make that throw. Just ask 8 and 19. 

- The first two losses are on me. Why? I wore my new Fighting Hawks hat all day Saturday and UND won. I didn't wear it for SBU or BGSU. 

52 minutes ago, sprig said:

At 11 minutes remaining,  think the comeback started at 9+ minutes, may have been 10 points,  don't remember

I'm pretty sure it was after they cut the lead to 10.  At that point UND was back in it.  It could have been a tie game and most of the student would leave.  I don't think it is the cool thing to stay for the whole game.  I guess that is what happens when you bribe the student s to attend. 

By no means am I lets the rest of the crowd off the hook.  No reason for them to leave.  It was still a game going into the 4th quarter.

17 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Speaking of taunting, I've noticed Santiago tapping on the helmets of opposing players after he makes a play on them - could that be considered taunting (he did it right after the touchdown catch against SD) and a few other times. We can't afford to put anything in the hands of the referees. 

I would call it taunting.  Kind of like tapping a kid on the head and saying good try.

8 hours ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

If the offense can keep some drives going and give the defense a rest then I think we will see what the  D can really do. It would also keep the other teams offense out of rhythm. Build a lead, shutdown the run game and get after the QB. That's the kind of game I would like to watch. (keeps the blood pressure down)

You gotta like the way Jade is playing and rotating in.  We have good players and depth at Outside Backer, that's for sure.

56 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

What I learned this weekend:

- The offensive line still needs a lot of work. 2nd and goal at the 1 foot line in the 2nd OT, to win, and no push? So goes the offensive line, so goes the season. 

- There's a play USD needs to take out of their play book. It was good for 14 point ... for UND's defense. Their QB can not make that throw. Just ask 8 and 19. 

- The first two losses are on me. Why? I wore my new Fighting Hawks hat all day Saturday and UND won. I didn't wear it for SBU or BGSU. 

I brought my three year old daughter.

in the two previous seasons and to start this year...they have NEVER lost a game she's been to.  Coincidence???:0

• Upvote 1