SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: UND vs USD 4pm

geaux_sioux

One more train of thought:
I understand the run on 1st down mentality, namely, shorten the game. That running play gets the game clock moving. 

But, if you go three and out (because you've set up 3rd and 8), you've actually hurt yourself in that you've (a) put your defense back on the field, and (b) shortchanged yourself for time later if you fall behind. 

In the perfect world, you get five yards on first down and the clock is moving. Much goodness comes from that combination. Your odds of a first down go way up. And the clock is moving (the original, shorten the game goal). 

From the reading I've done, when you are 1st and 10 the stats say you should get a first down 66% of the time. The stats also say you are 66% likely to get a first down if you are 2nd and 5 (better if 2nd and 4; worse if 2nd and 6 or more). 

Hang on ... I'm going somewhere with this.

We don't have Georges; we have an offensive line that is a work in progress; we have a mobile quarterback, and a decent group of underneath receivers and TEs. But every team with video out there knows the run is coming on first down.  Hand off Santiago on 1st and 10 becomes 2nd and 9. First down odds drop way off.  

Why aren't we doing more short/intermediate passing on 1st and 10? 

Put an 11 or 12 package out there, use the TEs and have the WRs who are best at the underneath routes run the short-range stuff.  

To me if UND lined up an 11 package of 22, 88*, and 11, 31, and 81 on first down that's a mess to have to try to cover. 

*Why 88? Because the redshirt is off, he's big and has the right body, and he can catch over the middle

• Upvote 1

On September 17, 2016 at 10:54 PM, darell1976 said:

Just got back to Fargo and that was a game I won't forget. Lots of problems early on, up 14-6 then giving up 3 TD's before the half and trailing by 20 at one point. So with 11:00 left they announce who gets the tuition money in the contest, exit the students and enter a comeback for the ages. A pick 6, 2 OT's, a bunch of review calls at the end, but most importantly A WIN!!! Heard some boos when the Fighting Hawks name was called, a "lets go Sioux" chant, and of course a "F the Bison" chant that no one but one guy repeated (probably the alcohol talking). The audio from the video board is horrible couldn't understand a word of it. The announcer was awesome, glad to have him back after missing him last year. I still would like to have Welcome to the Jungle play when the team comes out, instead of playing it then stopping for a video then the team comes out. Should be the other way around with the video first then the song as the team runs out. One thing I noticed was the multiple Hawk logos around the Alerus. Not only lit up on the advertising board and the scoreboard but along the sidelines, I don't recall a Sioux logo being displayed like that. I can't wait to go back on Homecoming and hopefully coming home after another UND win.

Couldn't agree more on the opening...play the video first then music as the Team comes out. The way they did it seemed kinda anticlimactic.

As for crowd noise...I was told it was pretty loud on the field and helped our boys during the game. Good Hime Field advantage!

Enjoyed talking with all the tailgaters/fans...great atmosphere!

1 hour ago, MoSiouxFan said:

Haven't heard from you in a while, Teeder.  Did you make it to the game Sat.?

I was there. My voice, or lack there of, today, is evidence of that fact.

I have some thoughts.  I'm not as down on the team as some nor as high as others, at this point. Maybe tonight during MNF, I will throw my two cents out there. 

Here's where my attention will be. My fantasy team is down by 5 going into tonight, and I have 1 running back (Langford) going against the Philly D. My opponent is done for the week. Think I can get 6 Pts out of Langford tonight? I'll be 2-0, then!

Just now, Teeder11 said:

I have some thoughts.  I'm not as down on the team as some nor as high as others, at this point. Maybe tonight during MNF, I will throw my two cents out there. 

Here's where my attention will be. My fantasy team is down by 5 going into tonight, and I have 1 running back (Langford) going against the Philly D. My opponent is done for the week. Think I can get 6 Pts out of Langford tonight? I'll be 2-0, then!

Good; looking forward to your thoughts.  Not a fantasy football guy.  My son-in-law wanted me to join his group recently, but I just wasn't that interested; much more interested in the college game.:)

28 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Hey, I'm still playing in Week 3 of the "USCHO Losers Pool" contest* courtesy the Dolphins and 49ers. :D

*It's like pick-to-click, but you have to pick an NFL team to lose that week. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

You gotta like the way Jade is playing and rotating in.  We have good players and depth at Outside Backer, that's for sure.

I've only lived in Moorhead since 2008. I live by Chase Morlock's parent's and always give Chase a hard time about Jade being smarter then he is for going to UND.

• Upvote 1

I'd also add some motion action to #22 with #5 in the backfield.  

if we run on first, slow the linebackers down a step on occasion.  

I like the idea of keeping the clock going but think we need to flip flop strategy and get aggressive to get a lead first and than run the clock.  I also still believe a little faster tempo up to the line would help our offense.  

7 hours ago, 3runsingle said:

It's your attitude son. You displayed it quite openly in your post. You feel entitled to support a winning team. Entitlement and over-indulgence are rampant among today's youth. More so than any time in our history. Maybe not you personally but certainly prevalent among your generation. I blame my generation of parents. We did it. We bubble-wrapped our kids, packed fresh fruit and bottled water for mandatory snacks at soccer games. We drove, or flew, you around to travel team tournaments and stayed in the best hotels every weekend. You had brand new uniforms for club teams every year that we would have never had for our high school team. We made sure the team only had enough players to be certain everyone would get into the game. Nobody should ever have to sit the bench. We made sure everyone felt like a winner all the time and didn't allow you to ever feel the sting of disappointment for coming in second or, heaven forbid, last. Everyone is equal at all times. We filled every waking hour you had with organized activities: sports, art, music lessons, camps, clubs. We even arranged "hanging out" with your peers and gave it a name: play date. I am sorry we did this to you. We didn't give you the opportunity to experience the joy and satisfaction of overcoming adversity on your own. We didn't allow you to create your own fun with friends or to discover on your own what your personal gifts truly were.  I am sorry.

I don't want to turn back the clock,  but the world we've created for you concerns me. It's not real and eventually it collapses in on itself. Hard drug use is rampant among your generation. Suicide and depression are as well. There is a general dissatisfaction with personal status because you live on-line and think everybody's selfie is how they live 24/7/365. We did this to you. We over-indulged in prom limos and parties and trips to places you should have waited to see when you had earned the ability to pay for it yourself and truly enjoy it. I am sorry.

You get to live in a world where technology has allowed you to individualize your entertainment. No arguing over the remote, no compromise over the music to listen to in the car. No need to interact in person with other human beings if you so choose. It can be all you, all the time. I AM SORRY WE DID THIS TO YOU.

And so you don't necessarily feel the need to finish watching a game, or a book, or movie, or sometimes go to your job that simply doesn't satisfy you to the fullest at all times. You "have better things to do." 

You are right, the world isn't about football or sports. Talk about over-indulgence; see: sports. I get it. I'm simply pointing out where I believe the entitled attitude originates. Why so many young people today are "front-runners" only superficially siding with the best, the "winners" and yet somehow feeling satisfied in doing so.

So, NoDakFan, I'm happy you were at the game and stayed. My rant is "in general" and not intended to cover EVERY millennial. (Oh, and I'm not as old you assume either.) I'm disappointed that so many of your peers bolted after the announcement. Can't cover up their motivation for attending. What's in it for me. Maybe not all...but simply can't say that many were heading home to study for Monday.

USAF, good for you. Good for us. Thank you for your service. Just keep fighting for America even if we get behind. And, the shots about age... Always ill-advised since we'll all get there if we are fortunate to live long enough. Its inevitable. You can always avoid being lazy, cranky, obnoxious, maybe even fat.... but there is only one alternative to getting old.

At least you have the balls to retort....good for you. Now off to TedX, send a Snapchat of your junk to your girlfriend, sip a $7 caramel frappe half/caf, or whatever the hell the "better" is that you millennials have to do. (My last line was in jest. See, I still have a sense of humor.) Now, gotta change my Depends and walk out to pick up my morning newspaper......

The only one acting "entitled" here is you. You think the students owe you anything? Does this student need to bow down and kiss your a$$? The answers to both questions are no and no. Get off your high horse and quit acting like you are better than everyone else.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

One more train of thought:
I understand the run on 1st down mentality, namely, shorten the game. That running play gets the game clock moving. 

But, if you go three and out (because you've set up 3rd and 8), you've actually hurt yourself in that you've (a) put your defense back on the field, and (b) shortchanged yourself for time later if you fall behind. 

In the perfect world, you get five yards on first down and the clock is moving. Much goodness comes from that combination. Your odds of a first down go way up. And the clock is moving (the original, shorten the game goal). 

From the reading I've done, when you are 1st and 10 the stats say you should get a first down 66% of the time. The stats also say you are 66% likely to get a first down if you are 2nd and 5 (better if 2nd and 4; worse if 2nd and 6 or more). 

Hang on ... I'm going somewhere with this.

We don't have Georges; we have an offensive line that is a work in progress; we have a mobile quarterback, and a decent group of underneath receivers and TEs. But every team with video out there knows the run is coming on first down.  Hand off Santiago on 1st and 10 becomes 2nd and 9. First down odds drop way off.  

Why aren't we doing more short/intermediate passing on 1st and 10? 

Put an 11 or 12 package out there, use the TEs and have the WRs who are best at the underneath routes run the short-range stuff.  

To me if UND lined up an 11 package of 22, 88*, and 11, 31, and 81 on first down that's a mess to have to try to cover. 

*Why 88? Because the redshirt is off, he's big and has the right body, and he can catch over the middle

This is the thing - there is absolutely no excuse for this mind-numbing play calling on any level.  I have given up on Rudolf as he has shown us time and time again he can't/won't adjust.  But come on Bubba - you are a better football mind than this.  Why are we doing this?  And here's the problem - at some point we will play a cupcake that gives our running backs a little room and zoom - they will run absolutely gash their opponents.  Rudolf will go "see - we just needed to give this offense a little time".  Then when we face the big boys again - same old same old.  If Bubba wants to increase the attendance and atmosphere  (which we all do) then please give us a gameplan that doesn't make us want to poke our eyes out.  Time Bubba made some changes.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

And making a total a$$ out of himself.

While we are talking "entitlement", a lot of posters on this forum act "entitled" all the time. But since they are older, they can act like that and the students better shut up and do what they are told. Yeah, whatever. :silly:

Kids live what they learn. And they learn a lot by watching us. A lot of us should look in the mirror before we throw rocks from our glass houses....especially 3runsingle.

........and because of FS4L I have learned a lot especially the errors of my ways politically hence I'll be voting for Hillary!  ;):silly:

• Downvote 4

22 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I left early and I'm not a student. I'll take my lashes now.

However, I did have a much better view on my TV of the comeback but I suppose this makes me a snowflake... oh well :D

When is your public caning so I can come watch?

8 hours ago, 3runsingle said:

It's your attitude son. You displayed it quite openly in your post. You feel entitled to support a winning team. Entitlement and over-indulgence are rampant among today's youth. More so than any time in our history. Maybe not you personally but certainly prevalent among your generation. I blame my generation of parents. We did it. We bubble-wrapped our kids, packed fresh fruit and bottled water for mandatory snacks at soccer games. We drove, or flew, you around to travel team tournaments and stayed in the best hotels every weekend. You had brand new uniforms for club teams every year that we would have never had for our high school team. We made sure the team only had enough players to be certain everyone would get into the game. Nobody should ever have to sit the bench. We made sure everyone felt like a winner all the time and didn't allow you to ever feel the sting of disappointment for coming in second or, heaven forbid, last. Everyone is equal at all times. We filled every waking hour you had with organized activities: sports, art, music lessons, camps, clubs. We even arranged "hanging out" with your peers and gave it a name: play date. I am sorry we did this to you. We didn't give you the opportunity to experience the joy and satisfaction of overcoming adversity on your own. We didn't allow you to create your own fun with friends or to discover on your own what your personal gifts truly were.  I am sorry.

I don't want to turn back the clock,  but the world we've created for you concerns me. It's not real and eventually it collapses in on itself. Hard drug use is rampant among your generation. Suicide and depression are as well. There is a general dissatisfaction with personal status because you live on-line and think everybody's selfie is how they live 24/7/365. We did this to you. We over-indulged in prom limos and parties and trips to places you should have waited to see when you had earned the ability to pay for it yourself and truly enjoy it. I am sorry.

You get to live in a world where technology has allowed you to individualize your entertainment. No arguing over the remote, no compromise over the music to listen to in the car. No need to interact in person with other human beings if you so choose. It can be all you, all the time. I AM SORRY WE DID THIS TO YOU.

And so you don't necessarily feel the need to finish watching a game, or a book, or movie, or sometimes go to your job that simply doesn't satisfy you to the fullest at all times. You "have better things to do." 

You are right, the world isn't about football or sports. Talk about over-indulgence; see: sports. I get it. I'm simply pointing out where I believe the entitled attitude originates. Why so many young people today are "front-runners" only superficially siding with the best, the "winners" and yet somehow feeling satisfied in doing so.

So, NoDakFan, I'm happy you were at the game and stayed. My rant is "in general" and not intended to cover EVERY millennial. (Oh, and I'm not as old you assume either.) I'm disappointed that so many of your peers bolted after the announcement. Can't cover up their motivation for attending. What's in it for me. Maybe not all...but simply can't say that many were heading home to study for Monday.

USAF, good for you. Good for us. Thank you for your service. Just keep fighting for America even if we get behind. And, the shots about age... Always ill-advised since we'll all get there if we are fortunate to live long enough. Its inevitable. You can always avoid being lazy, cranky, obnoxious, maybe even fat.... but there is only one alternative to getting old.

At least you have the balls to retort....good for you. Now off to TedX, send a Snapchat of your junk to your girlfriend, sip a $7 caramel frappe half/caf, or whatever the hell the "better" is that you millennials have to do. (My last line was in jest. See, I still have a sense of humor.) Now, gotta change my Depends and walk out to pick up my morning newspaper......

FYI drug use has fallen precipitously during the current generation (except for marijuana which, whatever) and suicide rates are mostly up among veterans who were pushed into a war by old people. This isn't the dumbest rant I have ever read but it is a strong effort. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Something that really got under my skin was at the beginning of the game when UND was on offense trying to run plays, and our student section was booing the Fighting Hawks name being said over the PA, and starting Sioux Forever cheers.  Smart.  

This pissed me off more than anything. Some real clueless students/"football fans" at my alma mater nowadays, and it is beyond frustrating. 

Certainly not all are ignorant, but there was a good sized group of individuals on Saturday that had their priorities mixed up.