SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: UND vs USD 4pm

geaux_sioux

13 minutes ago, siouxfb said:

My biggest concern defensively from Saturday was our tackling. I'm guessing film and grades weren't high in that department. On one play our lb got run over and our safety pushed their qb in the side and he continued for another 15 yards. We have tackled great this year so I assume that will be better on Saturday. 

USD does have one of the trickier offenses we will face this year. I will be watching closely to see how well they move the ball in Valley play and if the qb can manage to stay healthy most of the year.

People have been ragging on Rudolph from the time he was hired.  He is running a ball control offense and when executed is very good as we saw at the end of last season.  So far this year Studs hasn't been very good and the run blocking hasn't been very good.  The positive thing is that both have been better in the second half of games which makes me believe he makes the correct adjustments in order to find success in the second half.  The other thing that some fans seem to forget or not understand is that Bubba is the guy who selected what type of offense fits his coaching philosophy.  It you want Mussman back to chuck it around and leave the defense out to dry it will be more exciting but the defense will certainly give up more points. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

almost every team can say that one or two key players are dinged up but playing are or just out of action but losing cole, Austin and the other 2 d lineman was a big factor in usd gashing us...bubba still hasn't had enough time to build up some quality depth to where losing guys of these quality there is a large dropoff from those injured guys...hope all will be back in Bozeman!!!

Reyes, Cieslak, and Greer all listed on the 2-deep, so assuming they're a "go" against Mont. St.  Engwall and Seibel still out.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BigGame said:

People have been ragging on Rudolph from the time he was hired.  He is running a ball control offense and when executed is very good as we saw at the end of last season.  So far this year Studs hasn't been very good and the run blocking hasn't been very good.  The positive thing is that both have been better in the second half of games which makes me believe he makes the correct adjustments in order to find success in the second half.  The other thing that some fans seem to forget or not understand is that Bubba is the guy who selected what type of offense fits his coaching philosophy.  It you want Mussman back to chuck it around and leave the defense out to dry it will be more exciting but the defense will certainly give up more points. 

IMO:

True, but sometimes if you don't have the players (O-line), you need to be a little bit more creative.  I don't think people are looking for an all out passing attack.  They just want to keep the defense guessing.  Get Santiago a few more passes (Danny Woodhead anyone?), pass it to the tight ends a couple more times a game, and roll Studsrud out a little bit more.  Not asking much, the game just isn't being called in a way that correlates to the teams potential/talent.  It's hard to run the ball between the tackles every play when the line sucks - take this years Vikings and AP for example. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, BigGame said:

Pretty sure most on here (including me) love the run control game.  Its the continuous predictability that personally drives me crazy.  This sums up the 1st half- run,run, shotgun, punt. Rinse and repeat. He has shown over the years that he is incapable of adjusting to what the opposing d is giving the o.  He has a game plan and will not budge from that. Opposing defenses have caught on are lined up knowing damn well what's coming. 

The inexperienced o line can take some blame for the lousy offensive play but again, Randolph needs recognize his strengths and weaknesses and adjust his playbooks predictability. 

Ive been saying for time I believe the o line has talent and was giving them a four game cushion to gel.  It's game four Saturday, will we see an improvement?  I believe so.  Add in a special talent with cloyd at TE along with weaker defenses the line will be ok.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Pretty sure most on here (including me) love the run control game.  Its the continuous predictability that personally drives me crazy.  This sums up the 1st half- run,run, shotgun, punt. Rinse and repeat. He has shown over the years that he is incapable of adjusting to what the opposing d is giving the o.  He has a game plan and will not budge from that. Opposing defenses have caught on are lined up knowing damn well what's coming. 

The inexperienced o line can take some blame for the lousy offensive play but again, Randolph needs recognize his strengths and weaknesses and adjust his playbooks predictability. 

Ive been saying for time I believe the o line has talent and was giving them a four game cushion to gel.  It's game four Saturday, will we see an improvement?  I believe so.  Add in a special talent with cloyd at TE along with weaker defenses the line will be ok.  

#ChuckThePigSkin

Just kidding. I haven't analyzed down and distance breakdown of play selection, but I don't think as an offensive unit, we've been able to (yet) establish ourselves as road graters who line it up, yell here it comes, and you can't stop it anyway. To steal from Dan Barrerio, first down passes are NOT against the rules.  

Again, I missed a game, and would need to go back and look to see if my memory is anything close to accurate on play selection, though.

Just now, UND1983 said:

My bad, looking at wrong game.  I need to wake up.

UND doesn't get away clean though.  If you go to the UNDSports website and click the score for the UND-USD game, it'll bring you to the stats/summary page.  At least a couple of those stats and items in the scoring summary are incorrect/incomplete, leading me to question all of them.

14 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

UND doesn't get away clean though.  If you go to the UNDSports website and click the score for the UND-USD game, it'll bring you to the stats/summary page.  At least a couple of those stats and items in the scoring summary are incorrect/incomplete, leading me to question all of them.

Which stats are off?  Wednesday morning brain teaser!  

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

Here we go, kids.  The first down plays from the USD game, copy and pasted in all their glory.

Breakdown:

Run = 23

Pass = 6

So UND is trying to run on first down, right?  The goal is to gain 4+ yards on first down to create an easy, two-way second down play that puts the defense in a tough spot.  

How many times did they get 4+ yards on first down RUNNING the ball?   Answer = 12 for 23

How many times did they get 4+ yards on first down PASSING the ball?   Answer = 3 for 6  

Judging from those numbers, HALF the time UND got what they wanted on first down running the ball.  HALF the time UND got what they wanted passing the ball.  

This tells me that they aren't operating at the level they want to no matter what they do.  Efficiency on first down is LOW right now.  

1-10 at Und27 Keaton Studsrud pass complete to Noah Wanzek for 37 yards to the USD36, 1ST DOWN UND (Warner,Jacob).
1-10 at Usd36 John Santiago rush for 3 yards to the USD33 (Mertlik,Colin;Coker,Alex).
1-15 at Und10 John Santiago rush for 10 yards to the UND20, fumble forced by Warner,Jacob,
1-10 at Und33 Brady Oliveira rush for 13 yards to the UND46, 1ST DOWN UND
1-10 at Und46 John Santiago rush for loss of 2 yards to the UND44
1-10 at Usd44 Brady Oliveira rush for 2 yards to the USD42
1-10 at Usd42 Brady Oliveira rush for 4 yards to the USD38
1-10 at Usd29 Keaton Studsrud pass incomplete to Travis Toivonen
1-10 at Und25 John Santiago rush for 1 yard to the UND26
1-10 at Usd38 John Santiago rush for 6 yards to the USD32
1-10 at Usd15 John Santiago rush for 2 yards to the USD13
1-10 at Und10 Keaton Studsrud rush for 4 yards to the UND14 
1-10 at Und19 John Santiago rush for 1 yard to the UND20
1-10 at Und25 John Santiago rush for 12 yards to the UND37
1-10 at Und37 Keaton Studsrud pass complete to Luke Stanley for 7 yards to the UND44

Halftime

1-10 at Und17 John Santiago rush for 2 yards to the UND19
1-10 at Und26 John Santiago rush for no gain to the UND26
1-10 at Und38 Keaton Studsrud rush for 6 yards to the UND44
1-10 at Usd18 Brady Oliveira rush for 5 yards to the USD13 
1-10 at Und38 John Santiago rush for 4 yards to the UND42
1-10 at Und48 Keaton Studsrud pass incomplete to John Santiago
1-10 at Usd39 Keaton Studsrud rush for loss of 2 yards to the USD41
1-10 at Usd13 Keaton Studsrud pass complete to Alex Cloyd for 6 yards to the USD7
1-10 at Und33 Keaton Studsrud rush for loss of 1 yard to the UND32 
1-10 at Und47 Keaton Studsrud pass incomplete to John Santiago
1-10 at Usd16 John Santiago rush for 5 yards to the USD11
1-10 at Usd25 John Santiago rush for 25 yards to the USD0, 1ST DOWN UND, TOUCHDOWN

Overtime

1-10 at Usd25 John Santiago rush for no gain to the USD25 
1-G at Usd08 John Santiago rush for 7 yards to the USD1 

This is really great stuff. Thanks for looking this up/compiling this. Where did you find this play summary?

19 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Hate writing this as cole is an absolute stud and a talent but he needs to tighten up his pass covering skills a tad. Had a int for a td=awsome, but had quite a few blown coverages in the sd game. Believe two tds were on him.  Should be easily corrected in the film room.   

Be careful. I found out last week that this kind of talk about Reyes is not acceptable around here. :silly:

What you are saying is correct. He is the most talented player out there on defense for UND, but he makes too many mistakes to be considered an elite defender. Great safeties do not make coverage mistakes each game that lead to TDs.

13 hours ago, BigGame said:

I don't have a huge problem with what Rudolph is trying to do, but I don't think the talent is there yet to make it all work as well as we would like. When you have to replace four on the offensive line, plus another great blocker in Adler and you are running with two true freshman receivers it's tough to be consistent. But if you look at the overall body of work the last two weeks, the offense has approached 400 yards each game and Santiago has been over 100 yards rushing each game. It's been ugly at times but those numbers should be enough to win.

14 minutes ago, RD17 said:

Be careful. I found out last week that this kind of talk about Reyes is not acceptable around here. :silly:

What you are saying is correct. He is the most talented player out there on defense for UND, but he makes too many mistakes to be considered an elite defender. Great safeties do not make coverage mistakes each game that lead to TDs.

Did you watch the game?  Interested to hear what these mistake(s) are that he is making.  I know the other safeties are blatantly blowing coverages for all to see.  

They are consistently hammering Reyes up in there (0-5 yards) for run support & so forth but there have been a couple plays in last two games where a guy comes out into the zone he was in.  Is it his job to wheel back and cover down field?  Only the staff knows those answers.  

Anyone who was actually at the game could see/knows Reyes was the best FB player on the field in the first half of the game vs. USD and it wasn't close. He got nicked up and wasn't the same player in the 2nd half.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Anyone who was actually at the game could see/knows Reyes was the best FB player on the field in the first half of the game vs. USD and it wasn't close. He got nicked up and wasn't the same player in the 2nd half.

His open field tackling ability is about the best I've seen.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Did you watch the game?  Interested to hear what these mistake(s) are that he is making.  I know the other safeties are blatantly blowing coverages for all to see.  

They are consistently hammering Reyes up in there (0-5 yards) for run support & so forth but there have been a couple plays in last two games where a guy comes out into the zone he was in.  Is it his job to wheel back and cover down field?  Only the staff knows those answers.  

Yes, I watched the game. I believe the fullback should have been his responsibility over the top on the longer pass, but I can't say for sure. However, the last touchdown the previous week against BGSU was on Reyes. 

Reyes played a much better game against USD than he did against BGSU. He has the physical tools for sure but needs to clean up some things in coverage to be a truly great safety. All I'm trying to say is that I don't believe he is consistent enough to be considered the All-American candidate many believe he is. 

2 hours ago, UND-1 said:

Here we go, kids.  The first down plays from the USD game, copy and pasted in all their glory.

Breakdown:

Run = 23

Pass = 6

So UND is trying to run on first down, right?  The goal is to gain 4+ yards on first down to create an easy, two-way second down play that puts the defense in a tough spot.  

How many times did they get 4+ yards on first down RUNNING the ball?   Answer = 12 for 23

How many times did they get 4+ yards on first down PASSING the ball?   Answer = 3 for 6  

Judging from those numbers, HALF the time UND got what they wanted on first down running the ball.  HALF the time UND got what they wanted passing the ball.  

This tells me that they aren't operating at the level they want to no matter what they do.  Efficiency on first down is LOW right now.  

1-10 at Und27 Keaton Studsrud pass complete to Noah Wanzek for 37 yards to the USD36, 1ST DOWN UND (Warner,Jacob).
1-10 at Usd36 John Santiago rush for 3 yards to the USD33 (Mertlik,Colin;Coker,Alex).
1-15 at Und10 John Santiago rush for 10 yards to the UND20, fumble forced by Warner,Jacob,
1-10 at Und33 Brady Oliveira rush for 13 yards to the UND46, 1ST DOWN UND
1-10 at Und46 John Santiago rush for loss of 2 yards to the UND44
1-10 at Usd44 Brady Oliveira rush for 2 yards to the USD42
1-10 at Usd42 Brady Oliveira rush for 4 yards to the USD38
1-10 at Usd29 Keaton Studsrud pass incomplete to Travis Toivonen
1-10 at Und25 John Santiago rush for 1 yard to the UND26
1-10 at Usd38 John Santiago rush for 6 yards to the USD32
1-10 at Usd15 John Santiago rush for 2 yards to the USD13
1-10 at Und10 Keaton Studsrud rush for 4 yards to the UND14 
1-10 at Und19 John Santiago rush for 1 yard to the UND20
1-10 at Und25 John Santiago rush for 12 yards to the UND37
1-10 at Und37 Keaton Studsrud pass complete to Luke Stanley for 7 yards to the UND44

Halftime

1-10 at Und17 John Santiago rush for 2 yards to the UND19
1-10 at Und26 John Santiago rush for no gain to the UND26
1-10 at Und38 Keaton Studsrud rush for 6 yards to the UND44
1-10 at Usd18 Brady Oliveira rush for 5 yards to the USD13 
1-10 at Und38 John Santiago rush for 4 yards to the UND42
1-10 at Und48 Keaton Studsrud pass incomplete to John Santiago
1-10 at Usd39 Keaton Studsrud rush for loss of 2 yards to the USD41
1-10 at Usd13 Keaton Studsrud pass complete to Alex Cloyd for 6 yards to the USD7
1-10 at Und33 Keaton Studsrud rush for loss of 1 yard to the UND32 
1-10 at Und47 Keaton Studsrud pass incomplete to John Santiago
1-10 at Usd16 John Santiago rush for 5 yards to the USD11
1-10 at Usd25 John Santiago rush for 25 yards to the USD0, 1ST DOWN UND, TOUCHDOWN

Overtime

1-10 at Usd25 John Santiago rush for no gain to the USD25 
1-G at Usd08 John Santiago rush for 7 yards to the USD1 

Interesting stats, but without being at the game, these don't tell the whole picture.  Watching our offense was downright painful for most of the game and the biggest problem was that we were so predictable.  The chart doesn't show, for example, how many first downs we had the dive up the middle with 8 in the box.  Rudolf has shown absolutely no ability to adjust during the game to keep the opponents off balance and guessing.  Like I have said, when we get against a weaker opponent our RB's will look like world beaters and Rudolf will think that he is on the right track.  Then when someone stuffs the run we will do nothing to adjust.  

8 minutes ago, Irish said:

Interesting stats, but without being at the game, these don't tell the whole picture.  Watching our offense was downright painful for most of the game and the biggest problem was that we were so predictable.  The chart doesn't show, for example, how many first downs we had the dive up the middle with 8 in the box.  Rudolf has shown absolutely no ability to adjust during the game to keep the opponents off balance and guessing.  Like I have said, when we get against a weaker opponent our RB's will look like world beaters and Rudolf will think that he is on the right track.  Then when someone stuffs the run we will do nothing to adjust.  

They rarely had 8 in the box.  They had 7 with two safeties over the top.  Which dictates run.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

They rarely had 8 in the box.  They had 7 with two safeties over the top.  Which dictates run.  

Actually, a tight end across the middle of the field is a great strategy here - and running is only successful if your line gets a push.