SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: UND vs USD 4pm

geaux_sioux

2 hours ago, 3runsingle said:

Lots of grandpa talk. I guess age is still fair game among you petunias. Precious few on here have anything meaningful to add: Gundy, geaux, sciatoka, teeder, hell even Oxbow, as negative as he is, can be entertaining at times. (I know I've missed some favorites) Most of the rest of you never make a primary observation, just snipes from the cheap seats. Every coach should be fired, nickname bla bla bla, won't ever come back again because of whatever. I've read this forum for a number of years yet never posted. Now I know why. Some "I know you are, but what am I" discussions have literally gone on for years. Pretty f'n easy to hide behind a moniker and snipe. That's why I avoided it. And will now retire from it and leave you fantasy media stars to enjoy yourselves. 

I battled the "entitlement" crowd before concerning players and guaranteeing their scholarships.....Yada Yada Yada.  For the most part I don't think they are bad people, they are just wired differently than I am.  Don't allow them to shout you down.  We all want what's best for UND, and views vary, not a big deal.

These types of games are not easily forgotten. What a great come back victory, and twice in a row over SD at the Alerus! Can you imagine what it would of be like on this thread, if all the fans stayed till the end and we lost. I'll take the W. Maybe that's what motivated the team, we'll see how the season goes.

When are people going to stop talking about "Bandwagon fans", whether it's NDSU or UND.  Here is a news flash......ALL TEAMS HAVE BANDWAGON FANS........in every sport.....and every team.  When you win more......more people want to be part of that, and this is nothing new.....it's always been that way.....can't believe so many people sit and complain about bandwagon fans.   Do you think the stands at Memorial Stadium were full in the mid 80's when we sucked, that is before my time but I doubt they were.  It is kind of lame that there was a mass exodus after the scholarship announcement, but since I wasn't there at the time to see exactly when it occurred.....I don't know if it was before or after it looked like we still had some hope so I won't comment too much about that.   However we haven't had a strong enough winning football culture the past 4-5 years to make the average student want to stay when it looks like you are getting blown out.  Let's keep winning and that will come around over time. Arguing about the fact that there are some bandwagon fans is like arguing about there being snow and cold weather in ND in the winter. 

It was nice to be back at UND again this weekend and to a game......it's been a long time since I've been to a game.  Unfortunately I did have to leave at the end of the 3rd quarter to make it to a banquet (I already skipped the social hour and stayed as long as I could).  I wish I could have seen the 4th quarter because just seeing the first three didn't leave a good taste in my mouth walking out of the Alerus.  I'm so glad we came back and won as we needed that W, but we obviously have a lot to work on and I think every game we play in will likely be close going into the 4th quarter.  The line and blocking up front is struggling so much right now I don't think we can be consistent enough to blow out anybody.  I'm not even sure what the heck to think for the game next week against MT St.

• Upvote 2

On 9/17/2016 at 6:42 PM, Longtime fan said:

Oxbow what else are we missing about ndsu.  Let us know please

Only time the dimwit chimes in is when und is down.   Sick of it 

On 9/17/2016 at 6:43 PM, Oxbow6 said:

You kiss your wife's boyfriend with that mouth?

While I lol'd at the bottom comment - lets keep civil here. Oxbow usually predicts a UND win. The only one here who pretends tonot be an NDSU fan when he is is Johnboy.

So let me get this straight, a UND fan comes on the board and posts about his views or perspective and is promptly attacked by a group of fans that don't agree.  As far as I can tell he is pretty correct in a lot of what he says.  If you leave as "a fan" at halftime because the team you claim to support is losing you are pussy and didn't belong at the game in the first place.  I get that some people have good reasons they might need to leave early but you are kidding yourself if you think most people that walked out had an actual reason other than they suck, I am leaving. 

Yes people support a winner, but how do you even know if you don't stick it out to watch the game. 

• Upvote 4

two desirable characteristics that UND student fans DID NOT show by leaving early:

1. Decency - if you're only there for the chance that you might win a scholarship, just stay for the whole game. Otherwise, odds are low enough that you should have waited a few tables that afternoon and made $100 bucks guaranteed. Have the decency to hide your selfishness.

2. Commitment - Just finish what you start. Not hard - you sat there for 2.5 hours, why not finish it out?

UND made the massive mistake of trying not to inconvenience the students by waiting until the very end of the game to reveal the winner. I suggest next time they not hide their intentions and wait until the players are in their respective locker rooms. I was a student last fall - it sucked getting called out on this site. But he is right - they do leave every time, they do lack the decency to hide the selfish motives and the commitment to finish something even when its become inconvenient for them. Its funny - we all want attendance and atmosphere to improve - but only one poster has dared to put the blame on the fans and not the team.

(he was basically tarred and feathered)

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

When are people going to stop talking about "Bandwagon fans", whether it's NDSU or UND.  Here is a news flash......ALL TEAMS HAVE BANDWAGON FANS........in every sport.....and every team.  When you win more......more people want to be part of that, and this is nothing new.....it's always been that way.....can't believe so many people sit and complain about bandwagon fans.   Do you think the stands at Memorial Stadium were full in the mid 80's when we sucked, that is before my time but I doubt they were.  It is kind of lame that there was a mass exodus after the scholarship announcement, but since I wasn't there at the time to see exactly when it occurred.....I don't know if it was before or after it looked like we still had some hope so I won't comment too much about that.   However we haven't had a strong enough winning football culture the past 4-5 years to make the average student want to stay when it looks like you are getting blown out.  Let's keep winning and that will come around over time. Arguing about the fact that there are some bandwagon fans is like arguing about there being snow and cold weather in ND in the winter. 

There was always controversy over attendance figures for playoff games at Memorial during the good times.  The place would look very full but the numbers announced were a lot less than what people expected.  At that time it was blamed on the fact that everyone had on a lot of cold weather clothes and spread out because there weren't actual seats, only benches.

Anyone remember the Lennon D2 days when there was 5500-6000 for a playoff game?  A playoff game!!! That happened often and some are railing on the students that actually made the effort to show up Saturday even if they left early.

Carry on...............

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Anyone remember the Lennon D2 days when there was 5500-6000 for a playoff game?  A playoff game!!! That happened often and some are railing on the students that actually made the effort to show up Saturday even if they left early.

Carry on...............

Yah I do.  It was called "we are bored with opening round teams we already destroyed in prior years, plus now we have to pay for our tickets  to watch it again".  That and Roger under reported the attendance to make more money for UND.  Not by a ton but he did.

16 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Yah I do.  It was called "we are bored with opening round teams we already destroyed in prior years, plus now we have to pay for our tickets  to watch it again".  That and Roger under reported the attendance to make more money for UND.  Not by a ton but he did.

So your point justifies "fans" not showing up for playoff games back in the day?  But students who agonized thru almost 3 quarters of really bad football by UND on Saturday and decided to bolt now should be burned at the stake? 

Simple question(s)?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

So your point justifies "fans" not showing up for playoff games back in the day?  But students who agonized thru almost 3 quarters of really bad football by UND on Saturday and decided to bolt now should be burned at the stake? 

Simple question(s)?

When we play good football in meaningful games (playoff implications) most people will stay until the end.

11 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Simple question(s)?

I don't care about the students now, they can do whatever they want.  I was simply addressing why fans didn't show up for those playoff opening games.  

23 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Simple question(s)?

Let's be clear.  Around 11:00 minutes in the 4th quarter the winning student was announced.  In the next 60 seconds I estimate 60% of the students left.  It was humiliating, shallow, and disrespectful IN MY OPINION.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Let's be clear.  Around 11:00 minutes in the 4th quarter the winning student was announced.  In the next 60 seconds I estimate 60% of the students left.  It was humiliating, shallow, and disrespectful IN MY OPINION.

If the marketing ploy of Bubba Bucks was to keep them for 3+ quarters it worked.  If that wouldn't have been in place 90% would have left at half just because of the poor product on the field. I get what you are saying.........it's a Catch 22.

I look at it after 3 weeks of the season this FB program and it's fan base should realize there are bigger issues right now than the conversation that is going on about the student section.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

If the marketing ploy of Bubba Bucks was to keep them for 3+ quarters it worked.  If that wouldn't have been in place 90% would have left at half just because of the poor product on the field. I get what you are saying.........it's a Catch 22.

Since the strategy to get students to the game is to devalue the product they need to be damn sure the establish some entertainment value when they do come. They were a few min too late on Saturday. Plus that stretch of ineptitude didn't help.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, ClassB said:

two desirable characteristics that UND student fans DID NOT show by leaving early:

1. Decency - if you're only there for the chance that you might win a scholarship, just stay for the whole game. Otherwise, odds are low enough that you should have waited a few tables that afternoon and made $100 bucks guaranteed. Have the decency to hide your selfishness.

2. Commitment - Just finish what you start. Not hard - you sat there for 2.5 hours, why not finish it out?

UND made the massive mistake of trying not to inconvenience the students by waiting until the very end of the game to reveal the winner. I suggest next time they not hide their intentions and wait until the players are in their respective locker rooms. I was a student last fall - it sucked getting called out on this site. But he is right - they do leave every time, they do lack the decency to hide the selfish motives and the commitment to finish something even when its become inconvenient for them. Its funny - we all want attendance and atmosphere to improve - but only one poster has dared to put the blame on the fans and not the team.

(he was basically tarred and feathered)

He was tarred and feathered for posting a very condescending and patronizing response to a student who left early. If he had included the season-ticket holders and general admission ticket holders who left early, most people wouldn't have had a problem with it. But he gave them a free pass, while he launched into a generational chauvinist rant about how terrible the millennials are.

We have way more important things to be concerned about anyway. As this team continues to improve and play more consistently, the fans will come. It just isn't going to happen instantly, not after all the bad years we have endured around here.

• Upvote 1

Let's face it - in this day and age it is all about the product on the field, and while it is nice to rally in the 4th to go 1-2 if we continue to run an offense that makes fans want to bash their head against the wall it will be hard to develop a positive buzz about this program.  Perhaps the most frustrating two quarters of football I have seen here at UND.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Irish said:

Let's face it - in this day and age it is all about the product on the field, and while it is nice to rally in the 4th to go 1-2 if we continue to run an offense that makes fans want to bash their head against the wall it will be hard to develop a positive buzz about this program.  Perhaps the most frustrating two quarters of football I have seen here at UND.  

More frustrating than the first 4 games of the 2014 season when everyone wanted Rudolph gone for not being able to run the ball with inferior players and a brand new offense?  Or last year vs. Drake when the offense mentally shut it down up 21-0 looking forward to NDSU the next week?  

I have read many comments like that above about how "frustrated" people are.   Just trying to rank them.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, UND-1 said:

More frustrating than the first 4 games of the 2014 season when everyone wanted Rudolph gone for not being able to run the ball with inferior players and a brand new offense?  Or last year vs. Drake when the offense mentally shut it down up 21-0 looking forward to NDSU the next week?  

I have read many comments like that above about how "frustrated" people are.   Just trying to rank them.  

There's your answer..........if you have enough examples to rank them you know there are issues.

• Upvote 1