SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

3 minutes ago, runaroundsioux said:

He was saying that Major Juniors players can sign an NHL contract anytime and still play MJ. NCAA players can't. I think by the end of March it will be a little late for Jost to help the Avs.

The Avs could have 4 #1 picks and they still would be as good as they are. 

• Upvote 2

The Avs have not used their first pick on a defenseman in a decade. I get it-sometimes you take the best available kid in the draft and Jost certainly was it. That said, the Avs have a lot of talented forwards and centers; their biggest deficiency, IMO, is on the blue line.

As an editorial aside, I almost pick up a vibe of glee on Chambers' part when he wrote of Jost being a "one-and-done" at North Dakota. Let's not forget that he's a beat writer for the Denver Post and DU hockey so there's no love lost between DU and UND. The part about Jost growing up and raised by a single mom was irrelevant and inappropriate in my opinion. 

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

The Avs have not used their first pick on a defenseman in a decade. I get it-sometimes you take the best available kid in the draft and Jost certainly was it. That said, the Avs have a lot of talented forwards and centers; their biggest deficiency, IMO, is on the blue line.

As an editorial aside, I almost pick up a vibe of glee on Chambers' part when he wrote of Jost being a "one-and-done" at North Dakota. Let's not forget that he's a beat writer for the Denver Post and DU hockey so there's no love lost between DU and UND. The part about Jost growing up and raised by a single mom was irrelevant and inappropriate in my opinion. 

I want to start off by saying Chambers is a complete loser, always has been. Reading the article I also agree with your "vibe of glee" and single mom comment. Jost has said himself that he wants to get to the NHL as quick as possible, so I'd be surprised if he's back after this year. 

• Upvote 1

It certainly isn't the first time that Chambers has written an article as "fact" simply because of a hunch that he has.  It also won't be the last.
He's been wrong more often that not.

I'm trying to remember a few years ago when he was making a tentative roster for the upcoming season for DU, and he had like three blue chipper recruits as coming in to play for DU...none of which ended up going to DU.  One of them ended up going to UND.  I can't recall the year or the player (how old am I?), but I got a good laugh out of that one, as did many other posters on here.

7 minutes ago, brianvf said:

It certainly isn't the first time that Chambers has written an article as "fact" simply because of a hunch that he has.  It also won't be the last.
He's been wrong more often that not.

I'm trying to remember a few years ago when he was making a tentative roster for the upcoming season for DU, and he had like three blue chipper recruits as coming in to play for DU...none of which ended up going to DU.  One of them ended up going to UND.  I can't recall the year or the player (how old am I?), but I got a good laugh out of that one, as did many other posters on here.

He said something that Montgomery was going to win a National Title this year or next year. And that Denver was going to get Matthews, Jost, and Fabbro. 

I'm not sure if Montgomery said they were going to win the National Title or Chambers said they were.

10 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

No, he'd play in the AHL.  If he doesn't stay up....which he most likely won't given he's not ready yet.

What he was getting at without saying it, the Avs sign Jost, who can still play Major Juniors, plays 9 games for the Avs gets sent to the WHL and the Avs don't burn a year off his contract. That's what Chambers was getting at by mentioning Strome. 

5 minutes ago, cberkas said:

What he was getting at without saying it, the Avs sign Jost, who can still play Major Juniors, plays 9 games for the Avs gets sent to the WHL and the Avs don't burn a year off his contract. That's what Chambers was getting at by mentioning Strome. 

I see.  Wasn't he just noting the disadvantage between NCAA and CHL?  If Jost signed after this year the advantage he would have is that he wouldn't have to go to the CHL (i.e Jack Roslovic).  If Jost signs after this year there is no way his agent would let him get sent to the CHL.  He'd go to the AHL if he doesn't stick in the Show.

6 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I see.  Wasn't he just noting the disadvantage between NCAA and CHL?  If Jost signed after this year the advantage he would have is that he wouldn't have to go to the CHL (i.e Jack Roslovic).  If Jost signs after this year there is no way his agent would let him get sent to the CHL.  He'd go to the AHL if he doesn't stick in the Show.

That's what you'd expect, but who knows what the Kroenke's do, they obviously don't care about the Avs right now and don't seem to care about the Rams who they are more invested in after moving them to LA.

6 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

That's just terrible writing.  

So compare this Dbag to a real sports writer like Schloss and his article on fighting. 

Chambers makes up an opinion and writes it up like a Jr high assignment. And doesn't support it with any type of background, interviews, facts other than a perverted hot take by infering Jost signs mid season because he has a single mother.  

Disgusting. 

THIS IS WHY SPORTSWRITERS ARE BECOMING EXTINCT.

People don't really pay money for garbage, we have it ssooooooooooooo good with Schloss, don't take it for granted.

If I had to guess, he's trolling UND fans. Chamber is the King of click baits and is famous for trolling UND fans. He's the Ryan Lambert of professional hockey.  I'd say that there's a chance that Jost signs after this season. I think he's jumping the gun 

• Upvote 1

In the real conversation of Jost, Yes there is a chance he signs as soon as UND season is over.....my OPINION is that is a 80% chance.  Aves may intices him to sign by giving him games yet this year.....although they do not want to burn a year by doing it.

Jost is a special player. In my OPINION he is NOT really NHL ready especially physicality wise, and a second year of building his man body in the gym will help him. 

He may be ready for the AHL andmaybe a year there will be what he needs.

Jost will be an NHL force. But I really believe being flung into a bad bad team in Colorado will not do him or Colorado any good in 16-17 or 17-18.

Play 1 more year at UND...Aves can add more draft picks and have is ELC start in 18-19.

And who doesn't want to win back to back NCAA titles. #Hang10dude

1 minute ago, Frozen4sioux said:

In the real conversation of Jost, Yes there is a chance he signs as soon as UND season is over.....my OPINION is that is a 80% chance.  Aves may indices him to sign by giving him games yet this year.....although they do not want to burn a year by doing it.

Jost is a special player. In my OPINION he is NOT really NHL ready especially physicality wise, and a second year of building his man body in the gym will help him. 

He may be ready for the AHL andmaybe a year there will be what he needs.

Jost will be an NHL force. But I really believe being flung into a bad bad team in Colorado will not do him or Colorado any food in 16-17 or 17-18.

Play 1 more year at UND...Aves can add more draft picks and have is ELC start in 18-19.

And who doesn't want to win back to back NCAA titles. #Hang10dude

You'd think NHL teams would want their players to go the NCAA route, the NHL teams have to sign their players in the CHL in 2-3 years after drafting them where they have 4 years going the NCAA route. 

Jost hasn't been all that noticeable during the WJC. Another year at UND is what he needs. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, cberkas said:

You'd think NHL teams would want their players to go the NCAA route, the NHL teams have to sign their players in the CHL in 2-3 years after drafting them where they have 4 years going the NCAA route. 

Jost hasn't been all that noticeable during the WJC. Another year at UND is what he needs. 

Agreed....other than the Russia game.  He's good but been more of a role player.  He captains next year's team as well as Team Canada during next's year's WJC.

- Jost models his game after Johnny Toews, Toews played 2 years of college hockey.

- Jost made the comment during his 1st game at The Ralph that this is the best place ever to play hockey. He made similar glowing comments in NYC to reporters after the game. 

- Someone I know in his class said that he asked what classes he should take as he'll "probably only be here a couple years". 

- Chambers is a known troll who writes opinions(guesses) as if they are facts. Such as, Matthews joining DU. He bends the truth to fit his narrative without regard for any facts.

None of this is concrete proof either way but I'd put his chances at coming back at 75%. But let's figure that out after celebrating our 9th title in April.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, cberkas said:

... and also a chance to totally lose a high end draft pick like Vesey by staying and going the free agent route.  I think more teams are concerned about this possibility.

6 minutes ago, tnt said:

... and also a chance to totally lose a high end draft pick like Vesey by staying and going the free agent route.  I think more teams are concerned about this possibility.

the fans of some of those teams sure are scared, I know that much.... 

It's seen as what will happen if a guy stays past his sophomore year. 

The selfish fan in me always wants to see these guys stay for four years. I'm sure there is far more to the big picture for these guys then we'll ever see and it's different for every kid. That being said I try to enjoy them while they're here and hope after they leave everything works out for the best. Every once in a while a guy leaves early that's a real head scratcher though.

16 hours ago, Godsmack said:

The definitive critique by Godsmack. Well done. 

• Upvote 1

Jost may well leave after this season; he has the raw hockey talent for that. However, he would be well served to stay and let his body develop for one more season. He's not the biggest guy out there and the wear will have an effect.