SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

1 minute ago, siouxfan512 said:

What are the chances we see Gersich stick around for 4 years? I am hoping for, at least, 1 more year from the kid, but having a guy like that for 4 years would be great.

Caps fan blogs are already freaking out about getting him signed ASAP since he can become a free agent next summer if he wants to leave school. 

10 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

What are the chances we see Gersich stick around for 4 years? I am hoping for, at least, 1 more year from the kid, but having a guy like that for 4 years would be great.

I would think pretty good.  He'll be back for sure next season.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Not big enough, yet. Still gets knocked off the puck too easily. I'd be very, very surprised to see him leave after this year. Less after his junior year, but I'd bet he's a four year guy.

3 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Caps fan blogs are already freaking out about getting him signed ASAP since he can become a free agent next summer if he wants to leave school. 

His uncle (or pretty close relative) is the GM.  They should be on the same page.

I really hope Pogo stays for his senior year.  There were rumors last summer that he wanted to come back for one more year.  I like the kid but unless he already has his degree, he could use another year at this level.

28 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

His uncle (or pretty close relative) is the GM.  They should be on the same page.

I really hope Pogo stays for his senior year.  There were rumors last summer that he wanted to come back for one more year.  I like the kid but unless he already has his degree, he could use another year at this level.

Yeah, I was hoping Pogo would have a little more impact this year. Hopefully, he (and the rest of the boys) are prepared to step it up in the second half.

42 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Not big enough, yet. Still gets knocked off the puck too easily. I'd be very, very surprised to see him leave after this year. Less after his junior year, but I'd bet he's a four year guy.

That was kind of my thinking as well. Size works against him, but he definitely has skill. I guess it just depends on if these guys want to play college or some AHL. Agreed, he should (and hopefully will) be a 4 year player. Kid could put up some monster numbers as a senior.

5 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

That was kind of my thinking as well. Size works against him, but he definitely has skill. I guess it just depends on if these guys want to play college or some AHL. Agreed, he should (and hopefully will) be a 5 year player. Kid could put up some monster numbers as a senior.

Definitely has the skill and he has a knack for being in the right place. Kid is always around the net and that's why he's been so dynamite this year.

17 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Yeah, I was hoping Pogo would have a little more impact this year. Hopefully, he (and the rest of the boys) are prepared to step it up in the second half.

Don't look now but he has 4G - 2A in his last 3 games and at least 1 point in 6 of his last 8 games.

He's also tied for 2nd in goals and he's only behind the top 3 of Gersich, Boeser, and Jost in total points.

Something I seem to notice about Gersich is the vast majority of goals both this season and last have been on redirections or quick rebounds off of shots. What I'd like to see in the second half of this season is more wrist shots from him. Become more of a shooter, rather than just getting the garbage goals.

4 minutes ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

Something I seem to notice about Gersich is the vast majority of goals both this season and last have been on redirections or quick rebounds off of shots. What I'd like to see in the second half of this season is more wrist shots from him. Become more of a shooter, rather than just getting the garbage goals.

Why? This is how Gersh scores. They all count for one.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Why? This is how Gersh scores. They all count for one.

Don't get me wrong, I'll take a goal any way we can get it. But it would just be adding another weapon to his arsenal. I'm not saying stop getting the tap-ins and redirections. But take a few more shots away from the net, and see what happens. 

8 minutes ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

Don't get me wrong, I'll take a goal any way we can get it. But it would just be adding another weapon to his arsenal. I'm not saying stop getting the tap-ins and redirections. But take a few more shots away from the net, and see what happens. 

Gotta disagree, it's not his game.  He takes the puck to the net and turns rebounds into goals with freakish consistency.

He doesn't have a Boeser or even Jost-level wrist shot so drive the net and slide it five hole.  If you can't, dish it to those other guys for a cycle or have them take that shot. Then clean up if the goalie happens to get a pad on it.

I can't remember once this season where I thought 'Gersich really should have shot that puck earlier instead of driving to the net'. 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

ZPar scored most of his goals around the net too.   It's a combination of hard work and instinct, I think.   And quickness, which Gersich certainly has. 

9 minutes ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

Not sure it's a realistic expectation for a kid to become a shooter. Shane doesn't have a blistering wrister and it can improve, yes, but it's hard to just become a shooter. He relies on his quick feet and instinct to guess where he needs to be an buries his chances. 

2 hours ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

That simply means that he is getting to the dirty areas, something the Union coach said his players were afraid to do.  You absolutely have to have those types of goals.

Don't know about you guys, but I personally have had more fun watching Shane's development these last couple years than I did watching Rocco trying to be flashy and highlight-reel his in the latter part of his UND career. That doesn't take away from RG's talent at all- he's an awesome hockey player but Gers playing a clean, quality game and producing as much as he has this year and the end of last season is a real treat. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SiouxSherm94 said:

Don't know about you guys, but I personally have had more fun watching Shane's development these last couple years than I did watching Rocco trying to be flashy and highlight-reel his in the latter part of his UND career. That doesn't take away from RG's talent at all- he's an awesome hockey player but Gers playing a clean, quality game and producing as much as he has this year and the end of last season is a real treat. 

I think Rocco's problem was he could do things and then made passes that teammates just were not expecting.  So from that perspective he was ineffective at times.

• Upvote 2