SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, Siouxman said:

I think Rocco's problem was he could do things and then made passes that teammates just were not expecting.  So from that perspective he was ineffective at times.

In a lot of ways it's too bad Rocco left early when he did because let's be honest, he didn't have line mates that were on the same skill level as him when he was here.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

In a lot of ways it's too bad Rocco left early when he did because let's be honest, he didn't have line mates that were on the same skill level as him when he was here.

I'd agree.  And the guy had heart. 

9 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Exactly, there's a reason Hakstol could never figure out lines when Rocco was on the team.  He never had anyone that could play at his level here.

I know it's moot, but imagine Rocco with a Schmaltz/Jost and Boeser.  Not sure if the other team would ever get the puck.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Exactly, there's a reason Hakstol could never figure out lines when Rocco was on the team.  He never had anyone that could play at his level here.

I know it's moot, but imagine Rocco with a Schmaltz/Jost and Boeser.  Not sure if the other team would ever get the puck.

I was just thinking "imagine if Rocco was still around to be on last year's team..." 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

Something I seem to notice about Gersich is the vast majority of goals both this season and last have been on redirections or quick rebounds off of shots. What I'd like to see in the second half of this season is more wrist shots from him. Become more of a shooter, rather than just getting the garbage goals.

That's why I think he stays four years.  Right now he lacks the vision and play-making ability some of these elite (1-2 and done) college players have.  But he's an elite grinder.  He need's to round out the rest of his game.  This won't happen in the second half but should start to happen over the next two years.  

17 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Not sure it's a realistic expectation for a kid to become a shooter. Shane doesn't have a blistering wrister and it can improve, yes, but it's hard to just become a shooter. He relies on his quick feet and instinct to guess where he needs to be an buries his chances. 

He actually does have a pretty hard shot.

• Upvote 1

On 1/6/2017 at 9:15 AM, scpa0305 said:

He actually does have a pretty hard shot.

Hard? I'm not sure I'd call it hard. He can shoot, but it's not Boeser, Fratts, Kozek-like. He gets most of his goals from effort and tremendous hard work, it's as simple as that.

34 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Definitely agree with this.

I was thinking  about what Stoney said, We don't know what the Capitals are thinking. I'd call him a wildcard. Who knows? He keeps chipping points he could get a call. 

Never know what a kid wants to do. Some kids like playing college hockey, they like being in college, but they don't particularly like class or homework. No clue how that applies to Gersich, just saying it is a factor for some kids. Really hoping Shane sticks it out for the full 4, because he could be a dominant player by the time he is a senior. 

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Hard? I'm not sure I'd call it hard. He can shoot, but it's not Boeser, Fratts, Kozek-like. He gets most of his goals from effort and tremendous hard work, it's as simple as that.

Haha, well I didn't say that.  But he actually does have a very good shot.  

On a side note, Boeser played great last weekend but he has to work on the quickness of his release.  It takes him so long to get it off.  Before he goes pro it's something he needs to focus on.  Also, I heard his one timer is very good he just relies on that wrister so much.  I want to see the 1 T in a game some time.

7 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Haha, well I didn't say that.  But he actually does have a very good shot.  

On a side note, Boeser played great last weekend but he has to work on the quickness of his release.  It takes him so long to get it off.  Before he goes pro it's something he needs to focus on.  Also, I heard his one timer is very good he just relies on that wrister so much.  I want to see the 1 T in a game some time.

Of his 27 goals last year, I'm almost sure we've seen him 1 T one. Right?!

3 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I was just about to post this. Super interesting.  Kid needs a game. I read it a tad differently.

Yup, read it as he's chomping at the bit to see some action and "earn the #1 spot".

Maybe Berry dressing him as 2nd goalie in Omaha is a step towards a game against Miami?

Probably not, but who knows.

• Upvote 2