SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, John W. said:

Thx, but I have a great life....beautiful wife.....great kids and grandbabes....just love to jab the 'puckters' of UND , SOME of whom are obnoxious and sanctimonious as Bizzon f'ballers!!!!! ( sanctimonious May be too difficult a word for many ....should be prefaced by the hockey phrase 'and uh')

Great life*

*in flyover country where I need to find otherwise to look down upon 

The doom and gloom on here never fails. Wonder if the rankings people or the RPI machine have any clue how bad the Sioux are? According to those they are fine right now, even after a split at home against a hot team ranked 18th.

Some worried about them even making the top 16! I would love to bet on that?

I'm still saving for Chicago! Call me optimistic I guess...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, bigskyvikes said:

The doom and gloom on here never fails. Wonder if the rankings people or the RPI machine have any clue how bad the Sioux are? According to those they are fine right now, even after a split at home against a hot team ranked 18th.

Some worried about them even making the top 16! I would love to bet on that?

I'm still saving for Chicago! Call me optimistic I guess...

Just curious........if they finish at 16 or 15 in the Pairwise at season's end does that big thud still make a sound? ;)

• Upvote 2

Western is a pretty decent team.  We were definitely better, even without Boeser, Shaw, and Jost (from a depth perspective).  But Allison and Iccopelli (sp?) shined.  Those guys are supposed to shine.  Our squad had a lot of passengers Saturday night and our special teams is a joke right now.  The positive thing is that we can also beat any team in the country as well.  They need to put it all together and make sure they finish in the top 16 in the pairwise....top 12-13 to be safe with conference winners.  I've seen folks blame the forwards, D, and goalie at different times this year but the only real problem is our PK and PP scoring.  If we had a +90% PK and a +20% PP we're a top 5 team.  At this point I'm more frustrated with the PK.

This team is built to play 5x5 hockey and grind out wins (important toward the end of the year when the refs start to swallow their whistles).  

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

WMU is at 11 in the Pairwise.

Better yet...for a split at home. I looked at RPI.

I agree with scpa0305, I see you do also. He isn't counting them out. The potential is soooo there! Just taking a little time.

Let's hope Berry can rev em up in the 2nd half after a not so great start like Hak used to. 

I just think pushing the panic button right now is silly.

41 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

Yup, it does feel more like 14-15 then last year to me too.

'Just get in the tourney' is my mantra for this season. Then playing the rest of the tournament in Fargo and Chicago with our great fanbase could put us over the top.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Yup, it does feel more like 14-15 then last year to me too.

'Just get in the tourney' is my mantra for this season. Then playing the rest of the tournament in Fargo and Chicago with our great fanbase could put us over the top.

1-3-2 in our last 6 home games... I'm not sure the crowd can be the difference.  Hopefully something lights a fire under this team eventually.  

I agree with your first point though.  Just get in and then anything can happen.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, SJHovey said:

I've always thought in the college game you can't overstate the difference that the physical strength and experience of a senior, or even junior, can make.  We've all seen the differences in players like a Caggiula right on down to a Pattyn from their first season or two to the end of their college career.

I think Pogo, Joel J. and Hoff will play much better in the 2nd half of the season.  Plus a healthy Brock B.  Maybe even Wilkie will finish some scoring chances.

41 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

1-3-2 in our last 6 home games... I'm not sure the crowd can be the difference.  Hopefully something lights a fire under this team eventually.  

I agree with your first point though.  Just get in and then anything can happen.

It can be if we get back to playing top 10 hockey, which is about what is required to make the tournament. In other words, if we make the tournament we will be playing well enough that a rabid crowd such as one that will exist in Fargo WOULD be a huge difference.

If we go the equivalent 1-3-2 in our remaining home games there won't be a team to cheer on in Fargo and/or Chicago.

One of the college hockey podcasts I listen to is Hockey Goes to College with Ryan Lambert of Puck Daddy, everyone's favorite around here, and Joe Meloni of College Hockey News.  I listen to them primarily because of the intense hatred they have for all things North Dakota, we fans most of all.  But they also watch a lot of east coast hockey in person and they certainly pay attention to the game.

Yesterday's episode was kind of amusing.  I came away from it thinking these guys feel the same way as Brad S., although they didn't summarize it as nicely.  They basically said Duluth and UMD seem to be the two best teams, by a decent margin.  After that we'll put Penn St., simply out of default, because of their record, but don't come to us surprised if they start losing a bunch of games.

The intent of that episode was to discuss teams that might be in the 4-10 ranking.  But what was funny was as they went through and talked about a bunch of teams, most of the time they would say something like, "yeah, I just don't see them as a top 5 type of team.  I might believe they are the 10th or 12th best team in the country."  Then the other guy would agree and they'd move on to the next team.

By the time the podcast was over a listener would be convinced there were two really good teams, an unknown and untested team at #3, and then about eight teams that really can't be ranked any higher than 10.

The strange thing is, I don't know that I necessarily disagree with them.

I really feel like this UND team might be able to come in under the radar, so to speak, given our start.  Make the tourney, win the Fargo regional and it suddenly becomes a two game event.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

One of the college hockey podcasts I listen to is Hockey Goes to College with Ryan Lambert of Puck Daddy, everyone's favorite around here, and Joe Meloni of College Hockey News.  I listen to them primarily because of the intense hatred they have for all things North Dakota, we fans most of all.  But they also watch a lot of east coast hockey in person and they certainly pay attention to the game.

Yesterday's episode was kind of amusing.  I came away from it thinking these guys feel the same way as Brad S., although they didn't summarize it as nicely.  They basically said Duluth and UMD seem to be the two best teams, by a decent margin.  After that we'll put Penn St., simply out of default, because of their record, but don't come to us surprised if they start losing a bunch of games.

The intent of that episode was to discuss teams that might be in the 4-10 ranking.  But what was funny was as they went through and talked about a bunch of teams, most of the time they would say something like, "yeah, I just don't see them as a top 5 type of team.  I might believe they are the 10th or 12th best team in the country."  Then the other guy would agree and they'd move on to the next team.

By the time the podcast was over a listener would be convinced there were two really good teams, an unknown and untested team at #3, and then about eight teams that really can't be ranked any higher than 10.

I really feel like this UND team might be able to come in under the radar, so to speak, given our start.  Make the tourney, win the Fargo regional and it suddenly becomes a two game event.

I think most of us see it that way, Hovey.  To go deep, they will need Cam to be locked in--without that, it cannot happen.  But that is not an unrealistic hope. 

• Upvote 2

Here's how I look at the season so far, they are currently 9-6-3 and ranked 10 in the PWR (obviously pretty volatile right now). There has been more positives than negatives when looking overall, they've had a few bad games (Minnesota Fri, Mich State, Western Michigan), but also a lot of games where they played pretty well (Denver, UMD Sat, Minny Sat), but came up short.

They've done pretty well, without (1) Healthy Boeser (2) Gardner / Poganski significantly underperforming (3) Injuries on defense

Get Boeser back, Gardner / Poganski get back to their late season form and the freshman dman will have now a half year under their belts. There's no reason they can't win it all again.

25 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

I tried to listen to their podcast a few weeks back but when they kept joking about the number 69 and laughing at the joke I couldn't handle anymore.

There's a reason they are employed in print and not on radio or tv where they don't have the benefit of editors & revisions to make them appear more refined and succint. 

15 minutes ago, AJS said:

Here's how I look at the season so far, they are currently 9-6-3 and ranked 10 in the PWR (obviously pretty volatile right now). There has been more positives than negatives when looking overall, they've had a few bad games (Minnesota Fri, Mich State, Western Michigan), but also a lot of games where they played pretty well (Denver, UMD Sat, Minny Sat), but came up short.

They've done pretty well, without (1) Healthy Boeser (2) Gardner / Poganski significantly underperforming (3) Injuries on defense

Get Boeser back, Gardner / Poganski get back to their late season form and the freshman dman will have now a half year under their belts. There's no reason they can't win it all again.

Honestly how many games have we played this year with a 100% healthy d-core? 1? My other concern there is overplaying Poolman and Ausmus. 

14 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I tried to listen to their podcast a few weeks back but when they kept joking about the number 69 and laughing at the joke I couldn't handle anymore.

There's a reason they are employed in print and not on radio or tv where they don't have the benefit of editors & revisions to make them appear more refined and succint. 

Yeah, you put your finger on the primary problem with their podcast.  At their best the feel unscripted, two friends who just really love college hockey, sitting around and talking about the current status of the game and the teams that play.  But at their worst, they (and by "they" I mean usually Lambert) get sidetracked talking for four minutes about their high school soccer days or something.

On 12/12/2016 at 4:02 PM, John W. said:

Thx, but I have a great life....beautiful wife.....great kids and grandbabes....just love to jab the 'puckters' of UND , SOME of whom are obnoxious and sanctimonious as Bizzon f'ballers!!!!! ( sanctimonious May be too difficult a word for many ....should be prefaced by the hockey phrase 'and uh')

So, basically, you're a 60-year-old nobody that get's his rocks off trolling a message board? Wow! You're pathetic. 

• Upvote 2