SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

No one benefited from staying an extra year more than Nick Schmaltz IMO.  His progress from year 1 to year 2 was tremendous.

100% true, he went from a teenager to a man on the ice.

I'd put money on Jost staying for his sophomore year.

He loves UND and as good of a hockey player he is, he seems to be even a better person so we're lucky to have him.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

...and he was very very very close to staying for a third year.

Won't happen because of the recent injury but Brock could use another year as well IMO.  His 2 way game is marginal at this point but NHL teams desperately need guys that can bury the puck and he is a true goal scorer.

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Won't happen because of the recent injury but Brock could use another year as well IMO.  His 2 way game is marginal at this point but NHL teams desperately need guys that can bury the puck and he is a true goal scorer.

I agree. Although I do really like the NHL's development model by playing a year in the AHL.  It's such a good league.  However, if you are under the legal age to drink a beer in most cities, I would stick around a play another year of college puck.  Unless a player is beyond elite I guess (I am talking about those underagers that are playing in the NHL full time).  At least when a player leaves after their junior year they can go out with the boys (whether they are in the NHL or AHL). 20 is so young in the grand scheme of things.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I agree. Although I do really like the NHL's development model by playing a year in the AHL.  It's such a good league.  However, if you are under the legal age to drink a beer in most cities, I would stick around a play another year of college puck.  Unless a player is beyond elite I guess (I am talking about those underagers that are playing in the NHL full time).  At least when a player leaves after their junior year they can go out with the boys (whether they are in the NHL or AHL). 20 is so young in the grand scheme of things.

i dont think schmaltz had anything to gain by coming back another year. playing in the AHL is fine for a kid his age who has already mastered college hockey

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UNDhoops said:

i dont think schmaltz had anything to gain by coming back another year. playing in the AHL is fine for a kid his age who has already mastered college hockey

Agreed, played 26 games in the NHL to start his career. Didn't produce at the necessary level in the show so gaining confidence in the A with 4G 1A in 7 games(he must actually be shooting now!).  I'd guess he'll be up again this year.

52 minutes ago, UNDhoops said:

His decision wasn't a bad one.  He's logged the NHL games.  If it were me, I would have stuck around to play another year, that's all I was saying.  Schmaltz was a beast last year, but he was playing on a line with Caggs and Boeser.  Had the Blackhawks not been so thin, Schmaltz would have been sent down much sooner....he had a very very long leash.  I watch a ton of Blackhawks games and while Schmaltz had his moments, he was definitely not ready for the show.  He needs an AHL year (or needed another year of college).

Saying he had nothing to gain by coming back another year isn't entirely true.  He would have continued to develop strength, etc.  The competition wouldn't have been as good as the A (obviously) but he still would have gotten better.  46 pts isn't "mastering" college hockey (especially given the linemates he had).  Gaudreau hung around for 3 years...he "mastered" college hockey.  I get where you are coming from though.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, burd said:

All this talk about development is fine, but when you get right down to brass tacks, how to the puck bunnies compare?

Having gone to UND and attended many a hockey party, I'd say the bunnies are just fine and MUCH less expensive to keep happy :)

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UNDhoops said:

Disappointed that Tyler Motte from the ugly helmets is on the big club while Schmaltz is not.

3 hours ago, SJHovey said:

And, it worked.

If you're trying to get page views and sessions, trolling a rabid, vocal fan base like UND's is a smart business decision. Ryan Lambert of Puckdaddy does it from time-to-time. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Goon said:

If you're trying to get page views and sessions, trolling a rabid, vocal fan base like UND's is a smart business decision. Ryan Lambert of Puckdaddy does it from time-to-time. 

At the expense of being a legitimate journalist, sure, if that's what you want to be known as. 

3 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

At the expense of being a legitimate journalist, sure, if that's what you want to be known as. 

Here are some of the things Chambers has written over the years. He couldn't get over Malone's hit on Martin. 

To quote my buddy DaveK, the hit was made in the context of making a hockey play. It was a freak accident. Yet, Chambers focused on it for a very long time. 

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2011/08/22/for-what-its-worth-malone-getting-online-attention-with-avs/7819/

Of this gem, there was no reason for Chambers to write this article.

http://www.denverpost.com/2011/03/24/dus-martin-feels-snubbed-by-sioux/

I'd forgot about this one. 

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2014/01/21/landon-smith-bchl-scoring-leader-nhl-free-agent-former-denver-and-north-dakota-recruit/16508/

3 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Having gone to UND and attended many a hockey party, I'd say the bunnies are just fine and MUCH less expensive to keep happy :)

As a current student, I can say the same for them today. Puck bunny personalities here are nothing special.

• Upvote 1

It is interesting comparing Chambers' speculation and sensationalism to Schloss' factually-supported opinions.  I've disagreed with what Schloss writes from time to time, but I'll be darned if he doesn't present it in a way that is nearly bulletproof.  Meanwhile Chambers made up Matthews potentially landing at DU out of thin air.  

Does Chambers get trolled on Twitter similar to how a few Duluth fans harass Schloss?  We have our share of embarrassing fans on social media.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

It is interesting comparing Chambers' speculation and sensationalism to Schloss' factually-supported opinions.  I've disagreed with what Schloss writes from time to time, but I'll be darned if he doesn't present it in a way that is nearly bulletproof.  Meanwhile Chambers made up Matthews potentially landing at DU out of thin air.  

Does Chambers get trolled on Twitter similar to how a few Duluth fans harass Schloss?  We have our share of embarrassing fans on social media.

You only get trolled if people care about what you are doing.  No one cares about DU, the Avs, hockey in Denver in general or Mike Chambers, for that matter.

That's why I love it that Lambert and Meloni go out of their way to insult the UND hockey program and us, the UND fans, every single week in their podcast.  The day they stop trolling us is the day we'll know we've become irrelevant in the college hockey world.

• Upvote 3