SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Quinnipiac - SATURDAY Gameday NCAA TITLE GAME

AZSIOUX

Got back from Tampa last night and now back to work this morning (ugh!), with a very hoarse voice (along with many I might presume). Getting back on track here, the Sioux were a lot of fun to watch this year and thank you for finally bringing home the championship that we all here believe has been long overdue. Being in Tampa, I'd like to comment on a few things: 1) Tampa is an awesome site for the Frozen Four. The city did a great job in rolling out the red carpet. Much better than Boston, and from some of the other Frozen Fours that I've been able to attend. Every hotel had a representative answering questions, and the venue outside the arena was amazing and fun. 2) Denver Fans are just assholes 3). Boston fans are assholes on steroids. 4) Quinnipiac fans were amazingly graceful - thank you. I can only hope we acted as such in the past.

Thank you Fighting Sioux for a very exciting year to be remembered for a life time.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Drake was pushed into the direction of the goalie and with both hands on the stick he brought them up to try to avoid contact. Something you would normally do to brace for impact. But I think the q goalie embellished a little. That's what it looked like to me. 

Don't agree.   I have that on DVR, and we watched it on replay at the time.  it was a good call, though I don't think they should have called cross-checking.  I think they should have called goalie interference.   He didn't hit the goalie hard enough for cross-checking, but he never should have pushed the goalie there.   That was a dumb penalty.

I'm sure Dubay is also talking about Stecher's xc on Anas.   That was also not a great decision but it was a borderline call, and if you're going to play hurt don't be surprised if someone tries to check you.  That said, I don't condone (was it Janatuinen) who was clearly caught on replay after the whistle taking shots on Anas's shoulder with his stick.   It wasn't a heavy shot, but it's still over the line IMO.

That said, Dubay clearly isn't being objective here.  Quinnipiac should have been called for far more than they were called for.  QU may have felt like the hockey gods owed them a better outcome (a couple posts, some bouncing pucks, etc. that would have really made this a an, dare I say it, a real Anas clencher) but they did get the better part of the officiating overall.

Other than a couple of things, though, I don't know what game Dubay was watching.

3 minutes ago, dagies said:

Don't agree.   I have that on DVR, and we watched it on replay at the time.  it was a good call, though I don't think they should have called cross-checking.  I think they should have called goalie interference.   He didn't hit the goalie hard enough for cross-checking, but he never should have pushed the goalie there.   That was a dumb penalty.

I'm sure Dubay is also talking about Stecher's xc on Anas.   That was also not a great decision but it was a borderline call, and if you're going to play hurt don't be surprised if someone tries to check you.  That said, I don't condone (was it Janatuinen) who was clearly caught on replay after the whistle taking shots on Anas's shoulder with his stick.   It wasn't a heavy shot, but it's still over the line IMO.

That said, Dubay clearly isn't being objective here.  Quinnipiac should have been called for far more than they were called for.  QU may have felt like the hockey gods owed them a better outcome (a couple posts, some bouncing pucks, etc. that would have really made this a an, dare I say it, a real Anas clencher) but they did get the better part of the officiating overall.

Other than a couple of things, though, I don't know what game Dubay was watching.

That was Wolanin, and he wasn't even hitting the correct shoulder.  But remember that led to a 4-on-4 with Anas also in the box, so clearly he did something to precipitate it.

1 minute ago, BigGreyAnt41 said:

That was Wolanin, and he wasn't even hitting the correct shoulder.  But remember that led to a 4-on-4 with Anas also in the box, so clearly he did something to precipitate it.

Yep, agreed.  of course at the time it wasn't clear, at least to me and the tv guys, which shoulder was the bad one.

1 minute ago, dagies said:

I have watched it multiple times too. He was pushed into the direction of the goalie. He did not skate in and it the goalie. If anything the Q goalie sold it. 

3 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

I have watched it multiple times too. He was pushed into the direction of the goalie. He did not skate in and it the goalie. If anything the Q goalie sold it. 

Definitely agree Caggiula was helped in the direction of the goalie and barely made any contact. If they were gonna call Caggiula for the cross check on that the goalie should of got called for a dive too as he was barely touched. Refs let goalie get away with a bunch of slashes anytime anybody was near the net as well.

3 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Definitely agree Caggiula was helped in the direction of the goalie and barely made any contact. If they were gonna call Caggiula for the cross check on that the goalie should of got called for a dive too as he was barely touched. Refs let goalie get away with a bunch of slashes anytime anybody was near the net as well.

Stechers penalty to make it 5 on3 was stupid. A rare one by him. Under 2 minutes in the first with a 2 goal lead. UND was outplaying them badly at that point. But we won so why complain :)

7 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Stechers penalty to make it 5 on3 was stupid. A rare one by him. Under 2 minutes in the first with a 2 goal lead. UND was outplaying them badly at that point. But we won so why complain :)

Did he get him with a cross-check?  Sure

Would 95% of NCHC players have dropped like a sack of potatoes upon receiving said cross-check, as Anas did?  No

Would the penalty have been called had Anas not flopped?  Unlikely

Just my opinion.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

The way Anas was playing can you blame him? I would have done much worse to him so I considered it having good self control on Stechers part.

• Upvote 1

Here is Dubays follow up post. Crack must really screw with ones head.

I knew my post about North Dakota hockey would bring out the hatred from the fan base but I defy any fan to dispute the facts presented in the post. Obviously I editorialized when I called them thugs and a disgrace but everything i backed it up with is factual and unimpeachable. It amazes me that the fan base will forever deny something that everyone indside college hockey has acknowledged for years. North Dakota plays a style of hockey that goes over the line more than any t...eam in the game. But as I also mentioned, year in year out they are absolutely loaded with talent and an elite program by every measure. To be honest, I'm not sure why the fans bristles the way they do when this topic comes up. Again, read the post from yesterday and find a factual misrepresentation. There are none. Embrace what you are, an elite program that plays an in your face style that at times goes much farther than the college game should. Still don't believe me? Hakstol really did send a thug onto the ice in the closing seconds to pound on an opponent. That story is true and it's a disgrace at the college level.

Dubay is a disgrace to college hockey.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, sioux rube said:

I knew my post about North Dakota hockey would bring out the hatred from the fan base but I defy any fan to dispute the facts presented in the post. Obviously I editorialized when I called them thugs and a disgrace but everything i backed it up with is factual and unimpeachable. It amazes me that the fan base will forever deny something that everyone indside college hockey has acknowledged for years. North Dakota plays a style of hockey that goes over the line more than any t...eam in the game. But as I also mentioned, year in year out they are absolutely loaded with talent and an elite program by every measure. To be honest, I'm not sure why the fans bristles the way they do when this topic comes up. Again, read the post from yesterday and find a factual misrepresentation. There are none. Embrace what you are, an elite program that plays an in your face style that at times goes much farther than the college game should. Still don't believe me? Hakstol really did send a thug onto the ice in the closing seconds to pound on an opponent. That story is true and it's a disgrace at the college level.

I am really surprised that UND hockey makes it into the top 200-300 things that Dubay has to worry about.  His plate is pretty full.

My favorite part is seeing all of the tweets, facebook posts, etc. from opposing fan bases trying to shift the narrative to anything besides the fact that we won our 8th national title! Our team won the national championship and it wasn't even close. We are the best team in the country and it feels amazing!

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

My favorite part is seeing all of the tweets, facebook posts, etc. from opposing fan bases trying to shift the narrative to anything besides the fact that we won our 8th national title! Our team won the national championship and it wasn't even close. We are the best team in the country and it feels amazing!

Absolutely, it is not even debatable! 6-2, 5-2, 4-2, 5-1 over the 4 games that really matter.

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Dubay is a disgrace to college hockey.

I feel bad for the guy...had a dream job covering the team he loved and just gave it all away due to addiction.  Hadn't heard much about him in the past few years so did a quick search and found that he's obviously still struggling as he was arrested on drug related charges just last April.  Also saw that he had been fired from Tom Barnard Podcast in 2014. As far as his comments, he's a Gofer homer so I'll leave it at that.  Hope he gets the help he needs. 

2 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

I feel bad for the guy...had a dream job covering the team he loved and just gave it all away due to addiction.  Hadn't heard much about him in the past few years so did a quick search and found that he's obviously still struggling as he was arrested on drug related charges just last April.  Also saw that he had been fired from Tom Barnard Podcast in 2014. As far as his comments, he's a Gofer homer so I'll leave it at that.  Hope he gets the help he needs. 

Addiction sucks. I am so glad I never got hooked into that stuff.

I think it started when his wife left him for his own brother. Some people turn to alcohol. Dubay turned to illegal drugs.

As a fellow human being, I am pulling for him to get his life in order.

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

Absolutely, it is not even debatable! 6-2, 5-2, 4-2, 5-1 over the 4 games that really matter.

Wow, when you look at the tournament in these terms, UND beat the hell out of everyone they played. 

• Upvote 2