SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

Just now, petey23 said:

True, but the same experts back in November said that if you are looking for a starting qb in this draft you are out of luck.

And the majority of scouts and arm chair quarterbacks are saying Carson needs at least 1 or 2 years to learn before taking over a starting job. Not to many guys go from college QB to starting in the NFL in year 1 and succeed.

• Upvote 2

Just now, sioux rube said:

And the majority of scouts and arm chair quarterbacks are saying Carson needs at least 1 or 2 years to learn before taking over a starting job. Not to many guys go from college QB to starting in the NFL in year 1 and succeed.

Yep. Most years you are lucky if you have 2 starting qb's in the draft who can step in year one and start......and those are usually bad teams who have time to let a qb develop.

2 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I'm not he one who started the weak QB prospects story. I'm pretty sure that's what they have been saying all year.

wentz will be decimated when he stares down receivers while under pressure from a pro dline and a weak oline. We have not seen him play under much pressure in his career and now the defenses just got a whole lot better. Who ever drafts him better not plan to start him. If he has the potential he is going to need to be coached up to the next level QB skills.

Geaux sioux your the one who is butt hurt because your lame logos didn't get picked by UND......

If you're going to talk smack to me get your grammar correct. And yea, of course I'm compensating for my lame designs by suggesting that a local kid just might be a legit NFL QB prospect. Well done.

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

Does anyone recall Bison fans drooling over a kid from Carrington who was drafted by Minnesota, or any other UND players that got drafted? It works both ways there are Bison fans who don't care about UND players from college on, and there are UND fans who don't care about Bison players from college on...unless he is on your fantasy team.:p

Most Bison fans I know were very deferential to Jimmy K and said he was the best college football player they had seen. For me I never root against athletes unless they are classless and I will most certainly be a fan of a ND kid no matter where he played college ball.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bison06 said:

That's not exactly how it works. In fact, I believe Carson will be under even more scrutiny in the scouting process due to the "disadvantage" of coming from an FCS school. People will view him with a much more skeptic eye and if after that additional scrutiny he still gets drafted where he is currently projected, it will be that much more impressive to me. Correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't looked it up. But has an FCS player ever been drafted in the top 10?

Air McNair and Sweetness were top 5 I believe.

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

Does anyone recall Bison fans drooling over a kid from Carrington who was drafted by Minnesota, or any other UND players that got drafted? It works both ways there are Bison fans who don't care about UND players from college on, and there are UND fans who don't care about Bison players from college on...unless he is on your fantasy team.:p

It's called taking the high road. Just because they drag successful UND players through the mud does not mean we have to do the same.

• Upvote 2

Just now, petey23 said:

Most Bison fans I know were very deferential to Jimmy K and said he was the best college football player they had seen. For me I never root against athletes unless they are classless and I will most certainly be a fan of a ND kid no matter where he played college ball.

But there are some Sioux fans that  aren't against Carson and there are some that are, he is a legitimate NFL prospect and we will just have to wait and see what he does in the NFL

Let me get this straight, you want UND football fans to laud an FU player - gosh I'm thinking if you went to an Auburn fan site and asked them to laud an Alabama quarterback you might read some comments that couldn't be printed here. Why is it so important to get affirmations from us - our bison guests quite often tell us how wrong and how much they don't respect our opinions anyway? 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Let me get this straight, you want UND football fans to laud an FU player - gosh I'm thinking if you went to an Auburn fan site and asked them to laud an Alabama quarterback you might read some comments that couldn't be printed here. Why is it so important to get affirmations from us - our bison guests quite often tell us how wrong and how much they don't respect our opinions anyway? 

I for one am pulling for Caggiula and Boeser to have great NHL careers. I hope Ratelle gets a shot at an NFL roster and hope he makes it. They all seem like good kids. I don't know why most of you can't see Wentz's talent and pull for him to have a good NFL career. 

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

I don't need any affirmations from UND folks but I really thought since Carson is from our great state that it would be different. I was wrong. No biggie. Looking forward to draft day whether I will be in Chicago or Bismarck for it. Once in a lifetime experience having a family member possibly going in the first round. 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

I for one am pulling for Caggiula and Boeser to have great NHL careers. I hope Ratelle gets a shot at an NFL roster and hope he makes it. They all seem like good kids. I don't know why most of you can't see Wentz's talent and pull for him to have a good NFL career. 

All the bad talk about wentz is just ridiculous. I wish nothing but the best for him the rest of the way

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, petey23 said:

True, but the same experts back in November said that if you are looking for a starting qb in this draft you are out of luck.

QB is the main focus of every team and those who cover football and Carson has elevated himself to the top of this draft class. Best scenario for him is to go to a team with a starting QB at the end of his career(Dallas) and he can step in when ready.

Very few QB's are starters right out of College and dare I say none of them including Manning were good in thier first year. I would like to see Wentz have some success. If he gets drafted in the first round I assure you he will get his chance to prove himself. 

• Upvote 1

"We" don't have to celebrate a kid just because he is from North Dakota. I choose which teams and players I want to root for or against. You can choose to root for or celebrate whomever you would like, but don't keep telling us that we have to root for someone just because they are from North Dakota. I didn't celebrate or root for the Potulny boys when they tried to make it in the NHL and they were from Grand Forks. How many of you were rooting for them? I don't plan to root for Wentz. If he makes it, good for him. If he doesn't, he will fit in with the 99.9% that aren't successful in the NFL. Wentz is trying to be successful in a career where very few are actually successful. How many good NFL quarterbacks are actually playing right now? Maybe 15 or 20? Definitely less than 25. That includes guys like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady that have been in the league for years. There are maybe 100 total QB jobs in the NFL. The reality of the situation is that the odds are stacked against Wentz being a successful starting quarterback. Most years only 1 or 2 really make it. Only time will tell if he is part of that 1 or 2. But I don't have to root for him.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, sioux rube said:

I don't need any affirmations from UND folks but I really thought since Carson is from our great state that it would be different. I was wrong. No biggie. Looking forward to draft day whether I will be in Chicago or Bismarck for it. Once in a lifetime experience having a family member possibly going in the first round. 

In the NFL, for the most part talent is even.  Carson just had 2-5 years in which his O-line and D-line dominated games, most every game.  An undeniable factor exists of what SU provided Carson vrs the NFL, which has a lack of one team dominating week in-and-out.  All QBs in the NFL have games where they'll get knocked around or where their defense doesn't dominate the field position game.  I am really indifferent as to his future success, but I am interested to see how it turns out.  Good luck to the young man.

• Upvote 2

There's no question that wentz is talented. His measurements are very impressive:  6'6" 230 pds.  His athleticism is very much above average considering his size. He's a smart kid and very humbled from everything I've heard.  His work ethic is not questioned.  Big arm.  If he can get drafted by a team with a scheme that fits him best, I could see him excelling.  My only question in him is his decision making.  I don't follow ndsu so I have no idea how he's looked in games.  Only seen 3 qtrs of him vs und. 

Okay, as much as I rip on FU, I want CW to go as early in the first round as possible for two reasons.

1.  He's ftom North Dakota.  Good for the state.  

2.   He's an FCS player who played in Notth Dakota.  As UND improves with coaching and facilities and tries to recruit locally, it's important that local talent know they can  stay in state and get noticed.  Yeah, more of an advantage for the Fargo school now. But, we have a bright future.  

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Good luck to Wemtz but I just don't see it happening until he plays at the highest level and I see him perform. I could be wrong or right .

i like how you notice drakes and Brock's talent but I'm pretty sure caggs is not drafted. He is one of the best goal scores in college but does not quite have the ideal measure-ables for the nhl. Maybe now you see that anyone can be wrong when judging talent ! You need to be elite to perform well at qb in the nfl 

5 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

If you're going to talk smack to me get your grammar correct. And yea, of course I'm compensating for my lame designs by suggesting that a local kid just might be a legit NFL QB prospect. Well done.

Quit your whining. You brought it on yourself. No one cares about grammar unless you work in merrifield hall.