SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

22 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I really don't think there are as many UND fans converting to Bison football fans in GF as you may think.  Sure there might be a coupe, but I think that the Bison fans/alums/etc that have been in GF for years are just being "extra proud" of thier team snd wearing their Championship gear around town to rub it in the faces of their rival.  If you were a UND fan living in Fargo and UND football had won 5 national Championships in a row.  I think you would make an extra effort to make sure you wear your UND Championship gear a little more than usual.

I do agree that NDSU has gained more of the uncommited fans that have no loyalty to either university.  But I highly doubt there is a large number of UND fans that decided to start cheering for their rival.

I have also seen Bison fans at home hockey games wearing championship gear and flaunting it in front of everyone. Never mind they don't even have a hockey program.

36 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I really don't think there are as many UND fans converting to Bison football fans in GF as you may think.  Sure there might be a coupe, but I think that the Bison fans/alums/etc that have been in GF for years are just being "extra proud" of thier team snd wearing their Championship gear around town to rub it in the faces of their rival.  If you were a UND fan living in Fargo and UND football had won 5 national Championships in a row.  I think you would make an extra effort to make sure you wear your UND Championship gear a little more than usual.

I do agree that NDSU has gained more of the uncommited fans that have no loyalty to either university.  But I highly doubt there is a large number of UND fans that decided to start cheering for their rival.

I was in Grand Forks and one store had SU shirts on clearance 25% off - seemed to be because they were slow sellers. SU shirts stand out in Grand Forks because they are rare - like someone wearing a Minnesota shirt. 

• Upvote 1

I hope Wentz is drafted #1 and has a hall of fame career.

However, if ac fans are expecting a love fest guess again.  The ac has become the Patriots among FCS fans.  People are sick of watching them win and the media exposure they get.

It's what happens when you win so much.  Call it butthurt if you wish, but you'd better pack a lunch because you'll be using that phrase a whole lot.  Get used to it.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Carson Wentz is a fantastic QB and a North Dakota kid who will be a 1st round draft pick.  Wish we would have landed him out of high school.

Doesn't mean myself or anyone has to cheer for him just because he's from ND.  Kind of like cheering for ndsu athletics right?  Just something I don't do, sorry.

I don't wish him ill-will and I think he will do just fine, but just because it's good for ndsu, doesnt mean it has to be good for UND too.  In fact, it's NOT good for UND.

It has nothing to do with "butthurt". 

It has everything to do with my loyalty and pride to UND. Hope you can respect that?

It's not as if I've joined Team Makers. Wentz has had a spectacular rise to national fame recently and I see it benefiting UND in the future. As much as NDSU? Nope. But it's not as if they can really get much better than they already are.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, homer said:

And any opinions of anything other than he is the greatest QB in the draft were called out as "butt hurt" and "shaped by hate of the Bison."

Do I think he was the best QB at our level?  Yep.  I also have no idea how his career will pan out.  I watched him play one game at a higher level and blitzing wasn't allowed.  I can find mixed reviews from his week last week and even those are worth as much as a weatherman's 30 day forecast.  

I'm not sure who thinks that. I do think he has the potential to be a staring QB in the NFL.  I think he will be a first round pick but I don't know if he will make it or not.  I have never stated he is the best QB in the draft.  I don't think so. That opinion doesn't qualify me for the "love fest" some refer to. Some of the posts from our fans don't seem to recognize what he has done and what a number of NFL teams and coaches thinks he can do. I think it makes us look petty when we try to disregard his potential.  I don't care if anyone agrees. This is a blog.  I also recognize there are a  people on this site who don't want anyone with a differing opinion to challenge anyone's thinking. I am not referring to you or anyone in particular, but I'm sure you see the same.  I also don't agree with those who feel his success in any way helps us.  It doesn't.  It helps the AC folks. I

• Upvote 2

I guess Bison fans will have to forgive us UND fans for not sharing in the enthusiasm to the level they are about Carson Wentz going in the first round.  After 8 FBS wins (including teams in both the Big 10, and Big 12), 5 MVFC titles, and 5 straight National Championships (not to mention to ESPN Gameday appearances and an ESPN roadshow) .....I guess we are all a little tired of hearing about all the Bison's success.  I respect their program.  They have accomplished what no other FCS team has or will ever do again.  Having a former QB now being talked about as going in the top 10 of the NFL draft is just one more thing.  Obviously we are jealous of the success.  So is every team/player/coach/player/fan in the FCS.  But this is just one more thing that we have to hear Bison fans talking about as they puff their chests out.  

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Oh, I can't disagree with you there. I just get tired of being told that what happens at NDSU has zero impact on UND, because it just isn't true.

What happens at the AC does affect UND. I said it doesn't affect me nor does what UND does  affect me.  I don't believe  reacting to what they do is the best way to move forward. I believe we should be doing what is best for UND and have a comprehensive strategy to reestablish ourselves in a position to be successful.  I don't care what the media says and does, nor do I care who wears Bison gear.  It shouldn't  bother us. What is more bothersome is the snail's pace we are moving in our transition. We need to finish Phase II of the practice facility, upgrade the scoreboard in the Betty,  Improve our coaches salaries, improve the game day experience for fans etc.   At the end of the day, I see some progress with FB and with scholarships and facilities for all sports.  We need a new president that understands the impact of intercollegiate athletics on the University. We need our Alumni Association to be a part of the comprehensive plan including marketing the University. The success at the AC doesn't help us. We can't control what they do.  We can make sure what they do there doesn't hurt us however.  Fussing over attention for one of their athletes or how many folks wear the AC gear only hurts you if you let it.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

How the AC does impacts UND and it's programs because it is in the same state and is located only 80 miles away. Like it or not, their success combined with our mediocrity makes it harder for us to get our programs to where we all want them.

I completely agree with you. Many misinterpret this notion assuming it means UND cannot be a successful DI football program. Obviously, that is not the case; however, it certainly does make it more difficult on UND when the majority of North Dakota's and Minnesota's premier football talent prefers NDSU over UND. Also, former UND football fans have flocked down to Fargo to support NDSU football over the past 5 years or so. All in all, it isn't beneficial for UND football at all. 

With those facts said, what "iramurphy" stated above is also right on; UND needs to control what they can control and make upgrades. Furthermore, the job that Bubba and his staff are doing in terms of recruiting, coaching/developing, and promoting the football program is crucial to UND football becoming revitalized. UND completing phase II of the HPC would be tremendous for the football program due to the upgrades in coaching offices, meeting rooms, locker rooms, etc. 

Also, the UND administrative efforts at the Alerus Center on gameday needs to improve. 

• Upvote 2

One thing NDSU has proven is your program lives and dies by it's quarterback.   They had a hot QB during the transition and rode it right into the Mo valley football conference.   Next QB not so good and the Bison were 3-8.   Get hot with the next two QB's and they have five titles.    This is where we are falling far short.   Did we even seriously try to get Wentz?    Not bringing in  a top notch HS prospect at QB this recruiting year will only add to our continued sideways drift.   As much as our program has improved, it's never going to get where it needs to without solid, and I mean outstandingly solid QB play.

8 minutes ago, TRex said:

One thing NDSU has proven is your program lives and dies by it's quarterback.   They had a hot QB during the transition and rode it right into the Mo valley football conference.   Next QB not so good and the Bison were 3-8.   Get hot with the next two QB's and they have five titles.    This is where we are falling far short.   Did we even seriously try to get Wentz?    Not bringing in  a top notch HS prospect at QB this recruiting year will only add to our continued sideways drift.   As much as our program has improved, it's never going to get where it needs to without solid, and I mean outstandingly solid QB play.

I heard we turned our chair 1st for Wentz, but he decided to go with Blake.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, TRex said:

You seem to be forgetting that NDSU won 8 games this year, including 3 playoff games, without their potential  first round QB.

16 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

You seem to be forgetting that NDSU won 8 games this year, including 3 playoff games, without their potential  first round QB.

That backup for NDSU wasn't too shabby, though. Easton Stick put up over 1,100 yards passing with a 61% completion percentage, 500 yards rushing, and 18 total touchdowns to only 4 interceptions. Point is, NDSU has solid QB play. UND did not have top QB play until the end of the 2015 season when Studsrud came back and started doing some really nice things. Without solid QB play, its hard to win big games. Having a really good defense helps. 

8 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This is how I feel as well. That is why it hurts to see so much Bison gear being worn around Grand Forks; we are losing the battle for fans in our own freaking city! The tide must be stemmed before it drowns us all.

I was in GF over the holidays and saw one guy wearing an NDSU hat. I saw UND gear EVERYWHERE.  

I remember reading bisonville about ten years ago and they were complaining about the same thing you are complaining about. Sioux gear was everywhere. Was it true then?  I don't know, but I sure didn't see much bison stuff while I was in GF. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

It would be cool if Wentz being drafted would help boost participation numbers. And of those kids participating maybe more of them will dream big and try and achieve it? Both scenarios are good for both schools.

Nationwide, participation numbers are down.  Worries about injuries and probably cost are driving numbers down.  Not sure if this is happening in North Dakota, but I've read about this in Colorado and other states.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/29/sports/football/As-Worries-Rise-and-Players-Flee-a-Missouri-School-Board-Cuts-Football.html?_r=0

6 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

I was in GF over the holidays and saw one guy wearing an NDSU hat. I saw UND gear EVERYWHERE.

I remember reading bisonville about ten years ago and they were complaining about the same thing you are complaining about. Sioux gear was wverywhere. Was it true then?  I don't know, but I sure didn't see much bison stuff while I was in GF.

I see much more UND stuff in Fargo than I see FU stuff in Grand Forks.  Of course, more UND grads in F-M area.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, TRex said:

If we are a running team first and throw only when we have to, then we are not going to get a QB like Wentz. The best QB's, who can win games for you, tend to gravitate to schools that show they can develop QB talent and have a good mix of run/pass that will allow those QB's to improvise and make plays.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

If we are a running team first and throw only when we have to, then we are not going to get a QB like Wentz. The best QB's, who can win games for you, tend to gravitate to schools that show they can develop QB talent and have a good mix of run/pass that will allow those QB's to improvise and make plays.

Like NDSUs run first offense?

our offense will attract good QBs. Rudolph had them at St Cloud.  Just gotta win and keep developing players. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TRex said:

I think this is what sunk Lennon at SIU. They were usually weak at the QB position and you won't be a playoff team or contender doing that.

2 hours ago, Gothmog said:

I would say that shows NDSU knows how to get QB's year after year.    We need to do the same, go after the top talent.   To be the best we need to get the best.

5 hours ago, iramurphy said:

What happens at the AC does affect UND. I said it doesn't affect me nor does what UND does  affect me.  I don't believe  reacting to what they do is the best way to move forward. I believe we should be doing what is best for UND and have a comprehensive strategy to reestablish ourselves in a position to be successful.  I don't care what the media says and does, nor do I care who wears Bison gear.  It shouldn't  bother us. What is more bothersome is the snail's pace we are moving in our transition. We need to finish Phase II of the practice facility, upgrade the scoreboard in the Betty,  Improve our coaches salaries, improve the game day experience for fans etc.   At the end of the day, I see some progress with FB and with scholarships and facilities for all sports.  We need a new president that understands the impact of intercollegiate athletics on the University. We need our Alumni Association to be a part of the comprehensive plan including marketing the University. The success at the AC doesn't help us. We can't control what they do.  We can make sure what they do there doesn't hurt us however.  Fussing over attention for one of their athletes or how many folks wear the AC gear only hurts you if you let it.

I have made many of your points on this forum many times and I agree with you 1000%. I just like to use NDSU as a point of reference when discussing what we are capable of as an institution if we pull it all together. But like you said, the "snail's pace" we are moving is frustrating. And all that success 80 miles down I-29 just makes it even more obvious than it already is. You are right though, it's more about what we do than what they do. I just get frustrated and I have to vent somewhere; this is as good a place as any.

I wish Carson Wentz all the best. He's done the work and earned the shot. That said ...

I've seen a lot of hyped, can't miss, QBs coming out of college over the years. And more miss than hit. Not saying that'll happen here, but history says it's far easier to be hyped and miss than get one of 32 jobs. 

At least Wentz seems like a smart enough kid to understand that and ignore the hype and keep doing the work. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/1/2016 at 0:59 AM, Sioux94 said:

I was thinking this the other day and agree with you.  Yes the publicity benefits NDSU a lot, but in this case it can help make kids, and not just ND kids, realize that we can play some pretty good football and I think this actually can be a positive thing for UND.    Mid year when they started talking about Wentz being drafted, I was kind of hoping maybe he and the Bison would fizzle a little this year because I'm so sick of hearing about NDSU and wasn't looking forward to hearing about all of that.  Now that it's here and he is looking at going so high, growing up and living in western ND my whole life I do think it is kind of cool a kid from Bismarck may be a top 5 pick.   I let go of my total dislike for NDSU in this instance.  I'm certainly not going to tell others though that they have to love him or like him even, just throwing my two cents in.  It took me a little while to get past the NDSU thing though when the draft talk really started heating up lately.  As a Cowboys fan.....if Dallas takes him at #4 I'll have to like him.  If he turns into a flop.......well then just one more reason to dislike NDSU :) 

Brick by brick my citizens, brick by brick...

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...