SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

20 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

To the AC fans who have nothing better to do than read our blogs, I will preface my remarks with the confession in that according to some of the experts on this blog, I couldn't objectively evaluate a QB, so take this with a grain of salt.  On the other hand I have sat on the couch in Jerry Jones post game suite on numerous occasions while my son-in law was a two time pro-bowler with the Cowboys.  They are very interested in Wentz.  They took Romo out of Northern Illinois and they look at the AC as being on the same level and they would be correct. They also have a long history of taking small school guys. Wentz has been successful against FBS competition when he faced them.   He has  size, athletic ability, speed and smarts.  He also has "it".  People gravitate to his leadership and personality.  I don't know who will draft him nor when.  Cowboys would be a great fit .   Jason Garrett was a QB and had a chance to coach him all week at Senior Bowl.  If he performs to his ability at the Combine and Pro Day he will likely be a top 10 pick.  He would likely learn the system under Romo for the next 2-3 years.   He was given the opportunity to develop like that at the AC under Brock Johnson and Vigen and if he can do that for 2-3 years in the NFL he could be very good. I am not an AC fan, but if you can't see the kids talent and potential, you don't know FB.  

Well, he actually went to eastern Illinois, and they are in fact in the exact same level as ndsu! So there is that I guess.

I think UND fans are just sick of hearing about Carson Wentz because we are just sick of having NDSU shoved down our throat 24/7/365. All you hear outside of the Grand Forks city limits is Bison this, Bison that. I have seen way too many people in Grand Forks wearing Bison gear. That never used to happen. But that is what happens when one school in North Dakota has stunning success at the Division I level and the other has a crappy transition period and is still struggling mightily in more than one sport. It is nauseating to see how far UND athletics has fallen over the past 10 years or so; our regional profile has never been worse and we risk losing an entire generation of fans both in-state and regionally. Bubba is getting FB turned around in a hurry, but other than that program and Men's Hockey, our programs are just "Meh".

Carson Wentz is not the real issue here, it's the frustration level that some of us are feeling with regard to the very different paths UND and NDSU have taken over the past 10 years. Whether Wentz can or will cut it in the NFL is just a proxy discussion connected to the 800 pound gorilla in the room that I just pointed out.

• Upvote 1

How the AC does and how their fans act doesn't affect me.  It makes us look bad when we make critical remarks about a kid who has proven himself to be a legitimate 1st round draft pick.  The discussion wasn't about their obnoxious fans and media it was thoughts on the Wentz kid and his potential as an NFL draft pick and player.  

• Upvote 4

56 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I think UND fans are just sick of hearing about Carson Wentz because we are just sick of having NDSU shoved down our throat 24/7/365. All you hear outside of the Grand Forks city limits is Bison this, Bison that. I have seen way too many people in Grand Forks wearing Bison gear. That never used to happen. But that is what happens when one school in North Dakota has stunning success at the Division I level and the other has a crappy transition period and is still struggling mightily in more than one sport. It is nauseating to see how far UND athletics has fallen over the past 10 years or so; our regional profile has never been worse and we risk losing an entire generation of fans both in-state and regionally. Bubba is getting FB turned around in a hurry, but other than that program and Men's Hockey, our programs are just "Meh".

Carson Wentz is not the real issue here, it's the frustration level that some of us are feeling with regard to the very different paths UND and NDSU have taken over the past 10 years. Whether Wentz can or will cut it in the NFL is just a proxy discussion connected to the 800 pound gorilla in the room that I just pointed out.

Well said!

3 hours ago, Hayduke said:

Okay, as much as I rip on FU, I want CW to go as early in the first round as possible for two reasons.

1.  He's ftom North Dakota.  Good for the state.  

2.   He's an FCS player who played in Notth Dakota.  As UND improves with coaching and facilities and tries to recruit locally, it's important that local talent know they can  stay in state and get noticed.  Yeah, more of an advantage for the Fargo school now. But, we have a bright future.  

I was thinking this the other day and agree with you.  Yes the publicity benefits NDSU a lot, but in this case it can help make kids, and not just ND kids, realize that we can play some pretty good football and I think this actually can be a positive thing for UND.    Mid year when they started talking about Wentz being drafted, I was kind of hoping maybe he and the Bison would fizzle a little this year because I'm so sick of hearing about NDSU and wasn't looking forward to hearing about all of that.  Now that it's here and he is looking at going so high, growing up and living in western ND my whole life I do think it is kind of cool a kid from Bismarck may be a top 5 pick.   I let go of my total dislike for NDSU in this instance.  I'm certainly not going to tell others though that they have to love him or like him even, just throwing my two cents in.  It took me a little while to get past the NDSU thing though when the draft talk really started heating up lately.  As a Cowboys fan.....if Dallas takes him at #4 I'll have to like him.  If he turns into a flop.......well then just one more reason to dislike NDSU :) 

45 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Wasn't it NDSU's JohnBoy that was saying Wentz is......"meh....average" or was that the entire graduating Bison class of 2011 that was always saying that? 

Oh yeah. Sometimes I wonder if hes actually that stupid.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I was thinking this the other day and agree with you.  Yes the publicity benefits NDSU a lot, but in this case it can help make kids, and not just ND kids, realize that we can play some pretty good football and I think this actually can be a positive thing for UND.    Mid year when they started talking about Wentz being drafted, I was kind of hoping maybe he and the Bison would fizzle a little this year because I'm so sick of hearing about NDSU and wasn't looking forward to hearing about all of that.  Now that it's here and he is looking at going so high, growing up and living in western ND my whole life I do think it is kind of cool a kid from Bismarck may be a top 5 pick.   I let go of my total dislike for NDSU in this instance.  I'm certainly not going to tell others though that they have to love him or like him even, just throwing my two cents in.  It took me a little while to get past the NDSU thing though when the draft talk really started heating up lately.  As a Cowboys fan.....if Dallas takes him at #4 I'll have to like him.  If he turns into a flop.......well then just one more reason to dislike NDSU :) 

It would be cool if Wentz being drafted would help boost participation numbers. And of those kids participating maybe more of them will dream big and try and achieve it? Both scenarios are good for both schools.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

I for one am pulling for Caggiula and Boeser to have great NHL careers. I hope Ratelle gets a shot at an NFL roster and hope he makes it. They all seem like good kids. I don't know why most of you can't see Wentz's talent and pull for him to have a good NFL career. 

I think most of us think Wentz is a heck of a QB and has a future in the NFL. Time will tell if he is good, great, or average.

9 hours ago, iramurphy said:

How the AC does and how their fans act doesn't affect me.  It makes us look bad when we make critical remarks about a kid who has proven himself to be a legitimate 1st round draft pick.  The discussion wasn't about their obnoxious fans and media it was thoughts on the Wentz kid and his potential as an NFL draft pick and player.  

And any opinions of anything other than he is the greatest QB in the draft were called out as "butt hurt" and "shaped by hate of the Bison."

Do I think he was the best QB at our level?  Yep.  I also have no idea how his career will pan out.  I watched him play one game at a higher level and blitzing wasn't allowed.  I can find mixed reviews from his week last week and even those are worth as much as a weatherman's 30 day forecast.  

• Upvote 1

http://herosports.com/news/heres-why-fcs-recruiting-is-more-fun-to-follow-than-fbs-recruiting

I guess what I'm getting at is with the FCS, you're still getting Division I ballplayers. These guys are good, they just may be late bloomers. Maybe they grew 3 inches and put on 30 pounds of muscle since that hype-market combine the spring of their junior year of high school. Maybe they live in an area that isn't recruited well. Maybe the big boys just simply whiffed--it happens. Recruiting is an inexact science and mistakes are made in bunches.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, iramurphy said:

How the AC does impacts UND and it's programs because it is in the same state and is located only 80 miles away. Like it or not, their success combined with our mediocrity makes it harder for us to get our programs to where we all want them.

• Upvote 1

I thought this was a pretty objective take on the situation, pretty insightful article in general about pre-draft hype. Carson Wentz Hype Train Needs to Slow It's Roll -  http://thedraftwire.usatoday.com/2016/01/31/carson-wentz-is-who-we-thought-he-was-and-there-is-nothing-wrong-with-that/

What in the world does this have to do with North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz? Well I’ll tell you. I don’t want what happened to Jones, and what happens to so many prospects every year, to happen to Wentz. Carson Wentz (and every other quarterback in this draft) is not a top ten (or even 20) prospect, and that is absolutely ok. We just need to accept it and stop trying to make these passers into something they simply aren’t.

For some reason, every year we feel compelled to put at least a few quarterbacks in our top 20, typically placing one or two in the top ten. Why? By the same process that led to many declaring Jake Locker or EJ Manuel or Mark Sanchez or Blaine Gabbert as a first round pick. We feel an undue responsibility to elevate them in our minds and content to a status they not only haven’t achieved, but one that isn’t even attainable for them right now, simply because they play the most intriguing position in the game. And that isn’t fair to the prospect, or right as evaluators

Grading in a vacuum, there isn’t a top ten quarterback in this class, a conclusion I felt that most evaluators had reached pretty decisively a month ago. Slowly but surely that belief seems to be evaporating as it has in the past, as more and more analysts buy into the hype surrounding one of the draft’s top four passers. I’m picking on Wentz, who is the flavor of the month, but really the signal caller’s draft stock represents a bigger issue. There is tons of talent at the quarterback position in the 2016 class, but we simply don’t have a blue-chip prospect this year. Can we be ok with that? Can our boards, rankings, content, and even tweets reflect that?

23 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

How the AC does impacts UND and it's programs because it is in the same state and is located only 80 miles away. Like it or not, their success combined with our mediocrity makes it harder for us to get our programs to where we all want them.

But if there are more good players coming up as a result of Wentz being drafted we will both reap the rewards. More good ND players to go around.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

But if there are more good players coming up as a result of Wentz being drafted we will both reap the rewards. More good ND players to go around.

Oh, I can't disagree with you there. I just get tired of being told that what happens at NDSU has zero impact on UND, because it just isn't true.

4 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Carson Wentz is a fantastic QB and a North Dakota kid who will be a 1st round draft pick.  Wish we would have landed him out of high school.

Doesn't mean myself or anyone has to cheer for him just because he's from ND.  Kind of like cheering for ndsu athletics right?  Just something I don't do, sorry.

I don't wish him ill-will and I think he will do just fine, but just because it's good for ndsu, doesnt mean it has to be good for UND too.  In fact, it's NOT good for UND.

It has nothing to do with "butthurt". 

It has everything to do with my loyalty and pride to UND. Hope you can respect that?

This is how I feel as well. That is why it hurts to see so much Bison gear being worn around Grand Forks; we are losing the battle for fans in our own freaking city! The tide must be stemmed before it drowns us all.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This is how I feel as well. That is why it hurts to see so much Bison gear being worn around Grand Forks; we are losing the battle for fans in our own freaking city! The tide must be stemmed before it drowns us all.

I really don't think there are as many UND fans converting to Bison football fans in GF as you may think.  Sure there might be a coupe, but I think that the Bison fans/alums/etc that have been in GF for years are just being "extra proud" of thier team snd wearing their Championship gear around town to rub it in the faces of their rival.  If you were a UND fan living in Fargo and UND football had won 5 national Championships in a row.  I think you would make an extra effort to make sure you wear your UND Championship gear a little more than usual.

I do agree that NDSU has gained more of the uncommited fans that have no loyalty to either university.  But I highly doubt there is a large number of UND fans that decided to start cheering for their rival.

49 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Carson Wentz is a fantastic QB and a North Dakota kid who will be a 1st round draft pick.  Wish we would have landed him out of high school.

Doesn't mean myself or anyone has to cheer for him just because he's from ND.  Kind of like cheering for ndsu athletics right?  Just something I don't do, sorry.

I don't wish him ill-will and I think he will do just fine, but just because it's good for ndsu, doesnt mean it has to be good for UND too.  In fact, it's NOT good for UND.

It has nothing to do with "butthurt". 

It has everything to do with my loyalty and pride to UND. Hope you can respect that?

A post of perfection!!!  Well done!