SiouxSports.com Forum

GDT: Sioux vs puppies who pee on the porch

gfhockey

I'll admit to being frustrated with Hak's lack of championships - however, in his defense, we've gone into the Frozen Four with some pretty good goalies - at least two on the Hobey Baker list - and have had some uncharacteristic and monumental meltdowns.  I can't think of a time when we had a goalie stand tall or play even to or slightly above his talent.  What gives with our continued goalie let downs?  The names change, but the results are the same.  

I'll admit to being frustrated with Hak's lack of championships - however, in his defense, we've gone into the Frozen Four with some pretty good goalies - at least two on the Hobey Baker list - and have had some uncharacteristic and monumental meltdowns.  I can't think of a time when we had a goalie stand tall or play even to or slightly above his talent.  What gives with our continued goalie let downs?  The names change, but the results are the same.  

Zane last year. What was a letdown about his performance at any point in the tournament?

Did we run in to a hot goalie

Wonder how many boys played with broken bones last nite

You know, I hope you had the b*lls to hang out outside of the team breakfast this morning and personally confront every member of the team and coaching staff with your tired old lines after they finished up and walked out. You go tell 'em how it is, gfdrunkey. It's a damn shame that they couldn't win YOU a championship this weekend.
  • Upvote 2

You know, I hope you had the b*lls to hang out outside of the team breakfast this morning and personally confront every member of the team and coaching staff with your tired old lines after they finished up and walked out. You go tell 'em how it is, gfdrunkey. It's a damn shame that they couldn't win YOU a championship this weekend.

better be careful, he might think that it is a personal attack

I agree that goaltending has been the problem in a few of the elimination games.  Parise had a bad one, Lammy, and now Zane.  I thought Zane last year was very good, and Dell was also rock solid against Michigan (and in fact great that whole postseason).

There wasn't much of an elbow there the BU kid sold it pretty well. Didn't even look like Schmaltz tried to initiate contact more like the BU guy just skated in to him with his head down. BU got away with a number of elbows and hooks last night but that really was no surprise with Marco Hunt reffing.

Maybe this Marco Hunt ref is aware of the constant degrading of himself and other officials by Sioux fans. What one person calls passion another may call harassment or asshole move. I don't recall there ever being a nice thing said about a ref on Siouxsports, if they were good someone might say ok, but other would just go meh. Maybe you reap what you sow. Just look at the Game Day Thread title, sure it might be funny, but is pretty disrectful. Fire gfcocky.

I must say I was mightily disappointed at the outcome last night.  Zane let in a couple that he normally wouldn't have, and we got off to a slow start.  This is the last of the players that wore the Fighting Sioux jerseys, and I was hoping for a great outcome at the F4.  It just didn't happen.  Now it is baseball season.

Maybe the jinx is over now all the Sioux players will be gone.  Maybe next year the Fighting Sugarbeets will take a national title.  who knows.

I did enjoy watching the boys play this season, and what a season it was.  Looking forward to next year already.

Who is this Kristo character, and why does he think he knows more about Hakstol & the team than the posters on this forum?

A former player rushes to his coaches defense and that means it's going to happen right? Of course he is going to defend him.

A former player rushes to his coaches defense and that means it's going to happen right? Of course he is going to defend him.

Yeah its not like he has any better idea of what kind of coach Hak is and what he can do than some poster on a message board that has never been in that locker room or been coached by the guy.

• Upvote 1

Only a 101-109 record as a head coach in the USHL is ever good enough to be the coach of UND.

No one else would qualify.

If this isn't the most short-sighted and narrow-minded comment I've ever seen... :silly:

If you take out the first year he was there he had a record of 96-63 and made the playoffs all 3 of those years.

Why would you ignore the first year?  Because it was his first year as a head coach and that team was an absolute dumpster fire that would make the Flint City Tropics look like the New York Yankees.

Some simple digging reveals several reason why you can throw out that year:

1. Hak didn't start the year as the head coach.  David Lohrei coached one game and then was replaced by Hakstol.  (That should tell you everything you need to know about Sioux City that year because coaches don't leave after one game very often)

2. The fifth leading scorer on that team went on to score 9 points TOTAL in 4 years of college hockey (He was a forward).  The leading scorer went on to Bemidji State when they were in the NCHA (D-III).

3. They went through 41 skaters and 7 goalies that year.  The Wild used 5 last year and everyone freaked out.

4. The next year with a full offseason to prepare he went 35-18 and won Coach of the Year for the league.  That should tell you all you need to know about what people in the league thought of him.

There is a reason that everyone with actual hockey knowledge from Gasparini to Blais and from Parise to Kristo has lined up behind this guy in support.  They might know a little bit more than the bunch of whiny toddlers that keep showing up here.

We have out-shot the other team in 6 of the 7 Frozen Four loses that we have had under Hak so its not like he hasn't been getting the boys ready to play.  Goofy things can happen in a one game playoff.

Just ran through the first period again, keeping track of player names mentioned (by John Buccigross and Barry Melrose) for each team. Here are the totals:

Boston University:

Rodrigues 22  Eichel 43  O'Regan 19

Greer 11  Hohmann 20  Oksanen 21

Olsson 3  Lane 6  Baillargeon 5

Phelps 1  Moran 1  Roberto 4

Grzelcyk 22  MacLeod 3

Hickey 18  Fortunato 11

Somerby 3  Diffley 3

O'Connor 13

North Dakota:

Caggiula 15  Johnson 5  Parks 5

Pattyn 9  N. Schmaltz 18  Murphy 8

Chyzyk 2  St. Clair 2  Poolman 3

O'Donnell 4  Gaarder 5  Poganski 0

Thompson 5  J. Schmaltz 3

Mattson 5  LaDue 8

Ausmus 4  Stecher 6

McIntyre 12

Total 1st period player names mentioned: Boston University 229, North Dakota 119.

Discuss. :)

Dave

Just ran through the first period again, keeping track of player names mentioned (by John Buccigross and Barry Melrose) for each team. Here are the totals:

Boston University:

Rodrigues 22  Eichel 43  O'Regan 19

Greer 11  Hohmann 20  Oksanen 21

Olsson 3  Lane 6  Baillargeon 5

Phelps 1  Moran 1  Roberto 4

Grzelcyk 22  MacLeod 3

Hickey 18  Fortunato 11

Somerby 3  Diffley 3

O'Connor 13

North Dakota:

Caggiula 15  Johnson 5  Parks 5

Pattyn 9  N. Schmaltz 18  Murphy 8

Chyzyk 2  St. Clair 2  Poolman 3

O'Donnell 4  Gaarder 5  Poganski 0

Thompson 5  J. Schmaltz 3

Mattson 5  LaDue 8

Ausmus 4  Stecher 6

McIntyre 12

Total 1st period player names mentioned: Boston University 229, North Dakota 119.

Discuss. :)

Dave

I blame Hak.