SiouxSports.com Forum

GDT: Sioux vs puppies who pee on the porch

gfhockey

You know the bar has been lowered by the fan base when hours after another season ending loss you hear "Can't wait til next year!!".   UND is quickly becoming 'paper tigers'.  

So its the fan base's fault because we lower our expectations??

I'm not a fire Hak guy, so you all don't take this the wrong way.  But I found the pregame speech by the BU coach to be markedly different than anything you normally see from Hakstol.  The BU coach exuded confidence and really seemed to set his team up to recognize the moment and to seize the opportunity.   It seems like Hak is mostly about "take care of your business" and "do your work."  The lunch pail philosophy is great for the grind of the regular season (don't get too high, don't get too low), but it seems to be lacking when it comes to the biggest stage at the Frozen Four. Of course, we didn't see Hak's pregame speech, so maybe I'm wrong.  And I know pregame speeches don't win games, except for in the 1980 Olympics.  Just my impression.

• Upvote 1

A damn crosscheck to the neck and not 5 minutes. Blame Hakstol, it's his fault. Can't make it up.

To be fair Schmaltz should've been tossed for his elbow at center ice. The puck was no where near the BU player. Some of the calls/non-calls went both ways. Next year should be another good season with what we have coming in.

To be fair Schmaltz should've been tossed for his elbow at center ice. The puck was no where near the BU player. Some of the calls/non-calls went both ways. Next year should be another good season with what we have coming in.

There wasn't much of an elbow there the BU kid sold it pretty well. Didn't even look like Schmaltz tried to initiate contact more like the BU guy just skated in to him with his head down. BU got away with a number of elbows and hooks last night but that really was no surprise with Marco Hunt reffing. 

You are admitting you have?

No I'm not admitting that. Would I love to see UND win a title every year? Of course, who wouldn't. What I am saying is, how is lowering our expectations as fans going to change the way Hakstol/Staff and his players change there expectations?  

How's my uears do we get for notnberiningnhena narty

You shouldn't post anything until you can properly write a sentence......

so your feelings aren't hurt, it is not a personal attack either. just a suggestion, so us coherent people can understand your "insight"

There wasn't much of an elbow there the BU kid sold it pretty well. Didn't even look like Schmaltz tried to initiate contact more like the BU guy just skated in to him with his head down. BU got away with a number of elbows and hooks last night but that really was no surprise with Marco Hunt reffing.

Agree to disagree on the hit then

No I'm not admitting that. Would I love to see UND win a title every year? Of course, who wouldn't. What I am saying is, how is lowering our expectations as fans going to change the way Hakstol/Staff and his players change there expectations?  

What?  Didn't know the two were tied together.  This is a fan message board.

The hockey team can do whatever they want and use whatever slogans they want for motivation.  I, and many others, are confused as to how easily accepting the fans are of season ending losses now.  There was no reason UND should not have beaten BU.  They had just as good of team coming in but somehow, some way, they lose again to a similarily skilled team.  

I have a theory as to why and it has to do with the student fan base that becomes 'alumni'.   The past 10 graduating classes at UND haven't seen a championship, only regular season wins.  Winning Penrose championships seem pretty cool.  

• Upvote 1

You are admitting you have?

Unfortunately, I think that's where a lot of people are.  The 1-7 is like erosion such that we're solidly in the lukewarm purgatory of "we have a good, solid program but (titles?)".  One could say that the program is being, at least, sustained but it has been attritted down, in my opinion.  Getting to the FF and then retreating back into the usual alibis and tepid expressions of hope for next year is not good enough; it may be good enough for other programs, but not for the Fighting Sioux.  You give Eades (exclusively) the program in 2004 or hire Sandelin away from Duluth and, with the teams we've had, you know either one would have had 2 NT's by now.  Is Doug Woog on the payroll at UND?  Has he been wandering around the campus lately?  Does he have a Hakstol voodoo doll?  His aura is definitely wafting 300 miles northwesterly.  Lucky for us, though, we have Hak and he has nice hair.........

• Upvote 2

Can the Hak lovers please stand up

They're all over the board. Can't you read?  Why am I replying to you?

I just hope that someday soon we can watch the team win it all - and dedicate the banner to all those teams that got oh-so-close since 2001 but didn't quite do it.

To the 2014 - 2015 team and coaching staff: I know this hurts you all more than it hurts the fans - and it hurts us pretty bad, so I can't even imagine how you must feel. Thank you for the good times this season.

Fighting Sioux Forever.

Amen

Unfortunately, I think that's where a lot of people are.  The 1-7 is like erosion such that we're solidly in the lukewarm purgatory of "we have a good, solid program but (titles?)".  One could say that the program is being, at least, sustained but it has been attritted down, in my opinion.  Getting to the FF and then retreating back into the usual alibis and tepid expressions of hope for next year is not good enough; it may be good enough for other programs, but not for the Fighting Sioux.  You give Eades (exclusively) the program in 2004 or hire Sandelin away from Duluth and, with the teams we've had, you know either one would have had 2 NT's by now.  Is Doug Woog on the payroll at UND?  Has he been wandering around the campus lately?  Does he have a Hakstol voodoo doll?  His aura is definitely wafting 300 miles northwesterly.  Lucky for us, though, we have Hak and he has nice hair.........

Do those players that we have had even come to UND if Eades or Sandy are at UND? If either of those coaches are as good as you say, why is Eades still in the USHL? Yes, Sandy has won a title but what has happen to his teams after that (and before)? Would you go out and support UND if they turned in consecutive season of 5 wins? You fail to remember the years in the mid-90's when you couldn't even GIVE AWAY tickets to the games at the old Ralph...

Speculating that other coaches would have won a NT when Hak didn't is just that, speculation.

So, as fans, what do we do?  Cry?  Break stuff? Get drunk? Stay in bed all day for x amount of days and watch Netflix junk?  All of the above?

It SUCKS that UND lost in the Frozen Four, yet again.  I hate it.  UND got in a hole, then had a great second period, tons of pressure, hit posts, crossbars, then BU skates down, throws a puck on net and scores.  Goals went in for BU that wouldn't have gone in most of the time.  UND lost, yet again in the Frozen Four.  My life goes on though.  I'm happy that these 18-23 year old college students put what they did into this season, and I had a chance to watch them.

• Upvote 2

Unfortunately, I think that's where a lot of people are.  The 1-7 is like erosion such that we're solidly in the lukewarm purgatory of "we have a good, solid program but (titles?)".  One could say that the program is being, at least, sustained but it has been attritted down, in my opinion.  Getting to the FF and then retreating back into the usual alibis and tepid expressions of hope for next year is not good enough; it may be good enough for other programs, but not for the Fighting Sioux.  You give Eades (exclusively) the program in 2004 or hire Sandelin away from Duluth and, with the teams we've had, you know either one would have had 2 NT's by now.  Is Doug Woog on the payroll at UND?  Has he been wandering around the campus lately?  Does he have a Hakstol voodoo doll?  His aura is definitely wafting 300 miles northwesterly.  Lucky for us, though.  We have Hak and he has nice hair.........

Hak should have heat on him and rightfully so.  Something is obviously lacking in his coaching style and tactics when it comes to single elimination hockey.  I do enjoy being in the Frozen Four almost every year, but to be there 7 times and not end up with any hardware is EXTREMELY disappointing.  What makes it worse is the talent this program cycles through every year. 

I hate to blame anyone for last night or for last year's semi-final loss, but what is up with McIntyre and giving up these soft ass goals??  Am I the only one who thought he didn't live up to the hype last night?  Listen, I know the D in front of you plays a role in it, but last year's soft goal and a couple this year really raised my eyebrows about him.  I know a couple of guys who thought he was in the Belfour/Geohring group, but listen those guys have Natty's.

On a positive note.....Luke Johnson, Nicky Schmaltz and Troy Stetcher looked like BEASTS last night!

• Upvote 2

To your last question......no it doesn't for him. He is satisfied with the status quo..... which is good but never great. And truth......no one wants to hear that as it might require some self reflection and analysis. Hak is a good coach. Great coaches win a NC or more than one. Hak shouldn't be fired as he is a really good coach yet who is surprised by last night? 1-7 and 6 straight losses in F4s can't be chalked up to bad luck, bad bounces and the rest of the verbal nausea of excuses that are made. The one constant in the numbers above is who? It is what it is...like it or not.

Most people in life like good as they never experience great. Obliviously this is very common with monkeys or people with their IQ...Trunk Monkey fits this category.

As far this tool, the sun is up in Fargo, I have a plan to catch to AZ and a tee time waiting.

Looking forward to next season already...there is always next season to possibly be great.

Good post.