SiouxSports.com Forum

GDT: Sioux vs puppies who pee on the porch

gfhockey

Danny Kristo weighs in on the Hakstol debate

https://twitter.com/dkristo7/status/586558564589707264

I was reading this thread to see if anyone else had already posted this.   Guy has a little credibility, at least.   And basically says what a former player once told me about Hak.

If this isn't the most short-sighted and narrow-minded comment I've ever seen... :silly:

If you take out the first year he was there he had a record of 96-63 and made the playoffs all 3 of those years.

Why would you ignore the first year?  Because it was his first year as a head coach and that team was an absolute dumpster fire that would make the Flint City Tropics look like the New York Yankees.

Some simple digging reveals several reason why you can throw out that year:

1. Hak didn't start the year as the head coach.  David Lohrei coached one game and then was replaced by Hakstol.  (That should tell you everything you need to know about Sioux City that year because coaches don't leave after one game very often)

2. The fifth leading scorer on that team went on to score 9 points TOTAL in 4 years of college hockey (He was a forward).  The leading scorer went on to Bemidji State when they were in the NCHA (D-III).

3. They went through 41 skaters and 7 goalies that year.  The Wild used 5 last year and everyone freaked out.

4. The next year with a full offseason to prepare he went 35-18 and won Coach of the Year for the league.  That should tell you all you need to know about what people in the league thought of him.

There is a reason that everyone with actual hockey knowledge from Gasparini to Blais and from Parise to Kristo has lined up behind this guy in support.  They might know a little bit more than the bunch of whiny toddlers that keep showing up here.

We have out-shot the other team in 6 of the 7 Frozen Four loses that we have had under Hak so its not like he hasn't been getting the boys ready to play.  Goofy things can happen in a one game playoff.

This deserves more air time.  Thank you.  I was going to bring up a little of this, but you had far more knowledge to add than I could have.

Just ran through the first period again, keeping track of player names mentioned (by John Buccigross and Barry Melrose) for each team. Here are the totals:

Boston University:

Rodrigues 22  Eichel 43  O'Regan 19

Greer 11  Hohmann 20  Oksanen 21

Olsson 3  Lane 6  Baillargeon 5

Phelps 1  Moran 1  Roberto 4

Grzelcyk 22  MacLeod 3

Hickey 18  Fortunato 11

Somerby 3  Diffley 3

O'Connor 13

North Dakota:

Caggiula 15  Johnson 5  Parks 5

Pattyn 9  N. Schmaltz 18  Murphy 8

Chyzyk 2  St. Clair 2  Poolman 3

O'Donnell 4  Gaarder 5  Poganski 0

Thompson 5  J. Schmaltz 3

Mattson 5  LaDue 8

Ausmus 4  Stecher 6

McIntyre 12

Total 1st period player names mentioned: Boston University 229, North Dakota 119.

Discuss. :)

Dave

I actually thought they were pretty fair.  They often commented on calls UND should have gotten, but didn't, etc.   I didn't pick up any real bias in watching the game.

Just ran through the first period again, keeping track of player names mentioned (by John Buccigross and Barry Melrose) for each team. Here are the totals:

Boston University:

Rodrigues 22  Eichel 43  O'Regan 19

Greer 11  Hohmann 20  Oksanen 21

Olsson 3  Lane 6  Baillargeon 5

Phelps 1  Moran 1  Roberto 4

Grzelcyk 22  MacLeod 3

Hickey 18  Fortunato 11

Somerby 3  Diffley 3

O'Connor 13

North Dakota:

Caggiula 15  Johnson 5  Parks 5

Pattyn 9  N. Schmaltz 18  Murphy 8

Chyzyk 2  St. Clair 2  Poolman 3

O'Donnell 4  Gaarder 5  Poganski 0

Thompson 5  J. Schmaltz 3

Mattson 5  LaDue 8

Ausmus 4  Stecher 6

McIntyre 12

Total 1st period player names mentioned: Boston University 229, North Dakota 119.

Discuss. :)

Dave

It sounded like Eichel's line was out every other shift.

Yes he would be...and the player would play anyways.

Cue the Ben Blood example. I should also let it be known, if it would have been me, I'd have done the same thing as Blood. That cheap shot at the end of the game was on the same level as the throat stab on Thursday.

Cue the Ben Blood example. I should also let it be known, if it would have been me, I'd have done the same thing as Blood. That cheap shot at the end of the game was on the same level as the throat stab on Thursday.

I'm sorry, I don't care about the circumstances - you just don't jump a guy in the handshake line.