SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 season

darell1976

Didn't realize we were having a politically correct conversation. Someone should tip their hat <in electronic fashion> when that's agreed upon. 

I'm disappointed the young man has left; there's always roles for players that aren't starting, especially guys with starting experience.

With that said, Brown was not performing at the level that should be expected moving forward. 

With Brown, he was in a tough spot and I imagine it is very difficult to lose a starting spot to a true freshman after all the time and effort put in.  I wish he would not have quit because I really feel it is not the right response to the situation, but I am not in the guys shoes.  Good luck to him and I would guess he is upset and also a little relieved to now be outside the inner workings of college football.

• Upvote 1

Disappointing to see Brown leave the team.  I understand it probably emotional to be demoted but with the time he has put in this is likely something he will regret down the road.  Would hope he has a change of heart and decides to stick it out the remainder of the season.  You never know when you will get an opportunity.  

Disappointing to see Brown leave the team.  I understand it probably emotional to be demoted but with the time he has put in this is likely something he will regret down the road.  Would hope he has a change of heart and decides to stick it out the remainder of the season.  You never know when you will get an opportunity.  

Don't know if they rotate DB's as much as they do linebackers, but it seems like the defense always plays a lot of backups anyway.  The term "starter" is only a label, and can change in a minute if you play well when you are in.  It's all about performance, as it should be.  

I agree.  That is something this coaching staff needs to improve on and that is the psychology of coaching and communication.  Every kid on this team needs to have a clear understanding of how important they are to the team and how they fit in the the plan.  This kid needs to know how he can earn his starting job back so he comes back on Monday with a chip on his shoulder and works his but off to get better and to make the starters better.  This is a very good staff but this is an area they need to improve on.  We don't have the depth to lose kids. Gene Murphy was the master at this.  Even the student managers understood their importance to the team and so did the team understand their importance.  The third string guys don't mean anything to most fans but if they feel part of the team and the success of the team they are less likely to quit on day after being demoted. He also needs to have a fair shot at staring again.

I agree.  That is something this coaching staff needs to improve on and that is the psychology of coaching and communication.  Every kid on this team needs to have a clear understanding of how important they are to the team and how they fit in the the plan.  This kid needs to know how he can earn his starting job back so he comes back on Monday with a chip on his shoulder and works his but off to get better and to make the starters better.  This is a very good staff but this is an area they need to improve on.  We don't have the depth to lose kids. Gene Murphy was the master at this.  Even the student managers understood their importance to the team and so did the team understand their importance.  The third string guys don't mean anything to most fans but if they feel part of the team and the success of the team they are less likely to quit on day after being demoted. He also needs to have a fair shot at staring again.

How do we know that they're not already doing this?

Didn't realize we were having a politically correct conversation. Someone should tip their hat <in electronic fashion> when that's agreed upon.

I'm disappointed the young man has left; there's always roles for players that aren't starting, especially guys with starting experience.

With that said, Brown was not performing at the level that should be expected moving forward.

I agree 100% on your last two sentences.

I don't know what is politically correct or incorrect about Mussman recruits to Bubba recruits comparisons? I just don't know why that should be brought up or pointed out as a reason a player has left the team. If Bubba didn't think highly of him he wouldn't of started him. What I'm saying is the comparison between the two sets of recruits are irrelevant. In case your wandering I'm not a Mussman fan and I'm definitely not a politically correct person.

Yes the comparisons need to stop. To label a player a Mussman recruit/Bubba recruit is just ignorant. They are all UND football players just like their brothers before them. 

No, they do not have to stop. It's a proven fact that when you have a coaching change, you have players from the previous regime leave or get dismissed for a variety of reasons. Some of Mussman's kids have succeeded under Bubba, but a large number have not. That is why we can't judge this staff until they have enough of their own recruits in the program. That will take a couple of years at the very least.

• Upvote 2

I am a casual UND fan as a friend of mine son plays on the team.  Seems to me UND is absolutely headed in the right direction. For what it is worth my friend's son has nothing but great things to say about the coaching staff and this was a Muss recruit.  He willingly embraced the culture change that was needed and is excited to play for this staff for the next several years. As far as the play on the field I see this team with a great chance to win 5 even 6 games in the Big Sky.  The D is legit and may be as good as any D in the Big Sky.  I know they got a little run over in the 1st half vs. NDSU but that can happen in that building especially when the O struggled so mightly.  Three of the four home games are very winnable and if they can get the MSU game which why can't they(played them close last year in Bozeman), that means 1 road win gets them to 5-3 and a 2nd road win gets them to 6-2.  I only really see 1 "no chance to win on the road game" vs Montana, the other 3 are gettable...for me anything less than 4-4 in conference would be disappointing, 5-3 is likely(which likely gets them in the playoffs), and 6-2 would be the ceiling.    

• Upvote 3

No, they do not have to stop. It's a proven fact that when you have a coaching change, you have players from the previous regime leave or get dismissed for a variety of reasons. Some of Mussman's kids have succeeded under Bubba, but a large number have not. That is why we can't judge this staff until they have enough of their own recruits in the program. That will take a couple of years at the very least.

Well said

I am a casual UND fan as a friend of mine son plays on the team.  Seems to me UND is absolutely headed in the right direction. For what it is worth my friend's son has nothing but great things to say about the coaching staff and this was a Muss recruit.  He willingly embraced the culture change that was needed and is excited to play for this staff for the next several years. As far as the play on the field I see this team with a great chance to win 5 even 6 games in the Big Sky.  The D is legit and may be as good as any D in the Big Sky.  I know they got a little run over in the 1st half vs. NDSU but that can happen in that building especially when the O struggled so mightly.  Three of the four home games are very winnable and if they can get the MSU game which why can't they(played them close last year in Bozeman), that means 1 road win gets them to 5-3 and a 2nd road win gets them to 6-2.  I only really see 1 "no chance to win on the road game" vs Montana, the other 3 are gettable...for me anything less than 4-4 in conference would be disappointing, 5-3 is likely(which likely gets them in the playoffs), and 6-2 would be the ceiling.    

Great to hear, especially from a player that's not only on the team but that has played under both coaches and bought in under the current regime.  I'm in the 6-5 camp, though, but thinking we could achieve 7-4 with some luck on the injury side and improved offensive play.

The funeral story is a very nice story, and it appers Bubba is a great guy and natural leader. He surely bleeds kelly green and that's a great thing.  But a couple sentences about the actual team being on the "right track" stuck out:

Only six years removed from that loss, we now have a program that just competed against the best team in FCS Football.

I guess it depends on what he meant by "competed."  If he meant the game was played, I guess he's correct.  But that's not an indication that the program is on the right track.  UND certainly didn't compete favorably by any stretch of the imagination.   

We have a promising offense, which in time will become a threat to Big Sky opponents.

There are a lot of adjectives for UND's offense right now, but I'm not sure "promising" is in the top 100.  He could end up being right, but this is more wishful thinking than basing it on what we've seen on the field. 

• Upvote 3

The funeral story is a very nice story, and it appers Bubba is a great guy and natural leader. He surely bleeds kelly green and that's a great thing.  But a couple sentences about the actual team being on the "right track" stuck out:

I guess it depends on what he meant by "competed."  If he meant the game was played, I guess he's correct.  But that's not an indication that the program is on the right track.  UND certainly didn't compete favorably by any stretch of the imagination.   

There are a lot of adjectives for UND's offense right now, but I'm not sure "promising" is in the top 100.  He could end up being right, but this is more wishful thinking than basing it on what we've seen on the field. 

I would argue promising is a good adjective to use because of how many freshman and soph are starting and contributing.

• Upvote 1