SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 season

darell1976

Actually he was a bit of a world beater in that he took his team to UNI ranked #3 at the time and won. His injury derailed that season from a deep play off run. 

I am for whatever QB helps us win through out this year. We have to realize we aren't going to have any sexy 30 point wins, but are going to have to grind out the rest of our schedule. 

Ira brings unique perspective in that he may know the players a bit more but I didn't read that he was favoring anyone over the other just what each could bring to the table.

Boy, I remember that game a lot differently.  UND had two of the most explosive players to ever play at UND on the field at the same time and that was the difference.  I liked Manke as a QB over Bellmore but he wasn't a real difference maker at QB, he was solid QB. 

Mollberg had a lot more bad than good when you look back but before the injury he was playing some very good football.  At first I was somewhat surprised Studsrud was named the starter this year but he is a Bubba recruit and that does make a difference sometimes (even though it shouldn't)  I will say he has progressed faster than either Mollberg or Bartels in relation to INT's.  I don't think we would see a dramatic difference in game results if either of the other QB's played but Studsrud is clearly improving so I am very happy with the direction of things but I do feel for the other guys and hope they stick with the program because I think they will likely be important to UND football either this season or next. 

• Upvote 1

Boy, I remember that game a lot differently.  UND had two of the most explosive players to ever play at UND on the field at the same time and that was the difference.  I liked Manke as a QB over Bellmore but he wasn't a real difference maker at QB, he was solid QB. 

Mollberg had a lot more bad than good when you look back but before the injury he was playing some very good football.  At first I was somewhat surprised Studsrud was named the starter this year but he is a Bubba recruit and that does make a difference sometimes (even though it shouldn't)  I will say he has progressed faster than either Mollberg or Bartels in relation to INT's.  I don't think we would see a dramatic difference in game results if either of the other QB's played but Studsrud is clearly improving so I am very happy with the direction of things but I do feel for the other guys and hope they stick with the program because I think they will likely be important to UND football either this season or next. 

agree +1000

4-1 this is great and looking at the team's left UND has a great chance at being 8-3 at the end of the season. Only Montana and CP worry me, I think UND can beat the Bobcats at home in front of a packed house. However those other "winnable games" worry me as well. UNC, Weber and ISU could sneak up and pull an upset. One game at a time and hopefully cut down the tall trees along the way. 

It is a fact that certain posters on this forum defend certain players from certain towns all the time, whether it is warranted or not.

I am not going to judge.  Everyone wants what is best for the program, and visions differ.  We are 4-1, so let's rally the troops and make some noise Saturday.  Hopefully a lot of guys from the '95 team make an appearance for their 20 year honor.

• Upvote 4

With all of the QB chatter, and comparisons of QBs over the years, I'm interested to hear opinions on this comparison. Studrud to Bowenkamp? Obviously different style QBs, but which would you rather have playing. Not trying to knock anyone, just a hypothetical. I remember Bowenkamp being really good, but he didn't play the same level of competition.

Thoughts???

It is a fact that certain posters on this forum defend certain players from certain towns all the time, whether it is warranted or not.

Ironic that earlier you were unafraid to "state facts" and "call it like it is" and now you drop it into this nonsense. If you're going to play the tough guy who says the hard things, play the tough guy who says the hard things.

As far as ira, on Joe, clearly he is biased. Since the first two-deep was released, its clear he has more to say on the issue than any of us, but its been nothing but support for the program and the coaching staff. If you've got your own beef with him, give him a call. You're talking about statements made literally 11 years ago.

Sorry, but I don't think Mollberg has proven he can play at this level and I am not afraid to come out and say so. I am mocking the people that are so fixated on having Studsrud replaced when we are freaking 4-1 and are close to being nationally ranked for the first time in a long time. I have faith in this coaching staff and if they think a change needs to be made at QB, they will make it.

By the way, you are hardly an impartial voice on this topic, since you vociferously back any and every player that has ever come out of Detroit Lakes. Back in 2004, you and a couple of others on here (don't remember who they were) complained non-stop about how bad Chris Bellmore was at QB and that Reed Manke should have the job handed to him because he's a "born winner" and whatever else you guys said. Once he got in there, he was a good QB, but not the world-beater you guys were claiming.

Unlike the previous staff, I trust Bubba and company to make good decisions regarding this program. With the progress we have made the last two years, I don't see why they shouldn't be trusted.

I couldn't get stats before 2006 but Manke completed 69% of his passes, 19 TDs, 6 Ints with a QB efficiency of 152.  Of course I don't know what I'm talking about so why don't you ask Weston Dressler.  Had nothing to do with where he was from, he was a very good QB.  He was very smart, got through his reads quickly and could reads defenses.  He is no longer eligible so let's have you reread my post.  I didn't call for Studsrud to be replaced. I answered the question as to why people are discussing the QB play. I may be from DL so I have the advantage of seeing both of these guys through high school.  Give Mollberg time to throw and you will see what the colleges coaches who recruited him saw.  He also ran the veer and the spread . He also was maybe our best tackler on defense. The kid can play.  If you don't see the potential then although you may not have a home town bias I don't think you are a very good judge of talent.  I support what Bubba and his staff are doing but it doesn't mean fans including me can't question or disagree with play calling, personnel moves or strategy

Edited by iramurphy
  • Downvote 1

Wow! Pull up the ESPN FCS standings page and who is the first team you see? The #1 team in the Big Sky Conference, that's who...  NORTH DAKOTA!

Did not think that would happen so soon after Mussman's departure. Congratulations Sioux football, coaches and players. 

• Upvote 3

Wasn't Mollberg pretty mobile coming into UND? I know he still has some of that mobility but has lost some I believe to injuries/college. The recruit he was coming in seems to really fit the mold Rudolph is looking for but Joe has had some bad luck with injuries and what not since then. 

Mollberg and Bartels were condemmned for similar mistakes with less of a supporting cast. 

I have to disagree there as far as the supporting cast goes.  Mollberg (and Bartles) were definitely thrown into the fire way too early.  But so was Studsrud, and he has handled that exponentially better.  In fact I'd say the circumstances surrounding his ascension to the starting job were far more difficult, and he has performed far better.  Studsrud has never had anybody named Hardin, Jackson, or Golladay to throw to either.

I like the fact that this staff seems to be committed to one QB.  Even Dale Lennon could never decide on a QB, and I think that hurt the team, even as great as his teams were.  It was always Manke vs Belmore, or Bowenkamp vs Wilson.  With Mussman it was Landry/Goska, or Hanson/Hendrickson, or Mollberg/Bartles.  

When you have two QBs, you really have no QB.  The QB is supposed to be the leader of the team.  When the coaching staff looks like they can't decide who should lead the team, the rest of the team doesn't really know who to follow.

• Upvote 1

I support all of our current quarterbacks - Bartles has never really had a chance but I am confident in the coaching staff as far as playing time decisions. His injury last year was gut-wrenching as it would have given him a real chance to prove himself in the last few games of the year. That being said, and even considering our OLine is probably a little better this year, if this team had a few of the interceptions or bad decisions we saw under Molberg over the past two years it would be 2-2. Again I will say I support Molberg and Bartles and consider it a strength that both are ready to step in because as we see nearly every weekend it's a tough game and depth is important.  

• Upvote 1

I have to disagree there as far as the supporting cast goes.  Mollberg (and Bartles) were definitely thrown into the fire way too early.  But so was Studsrud, and he has handled that exponentially better.  In fact I'd say the circumstances surrounding his ascension to the starting job were far more difficult, and he has performed far better.  Studsrud has never had anybody named Hardin, Jackson, or Golladay to throw to either.

I like the fact that this staff seems to be committed to one QB.  Even Dale Lennon could never decide on a QB, and I think that hurt the team, even as great as his teams were.  It was always Manke vs Belmore, or Bowenkamp vs Wilson.  With Mussman it was Landry/Goska, or Hanson/Hendrickson, or Mollberg/Bartles.  

When you have two QBs, you really have no QB.  The QB is supposed to be the leader of the team.  When the coaching staff looks like they can't decide who should lead the team, the rest of the team doesn't really know who to follow.

I get your point.  I said at beginning of the season that if Studsrud was the pick, they needed to give him a shot without having to worry that his mistakes will get him pulled right away.  I'd love to watch film with some of you guys over a couple of beverages and show you Hardin, Jackson and even Gollady dropped the ball.  They were a better group than we have now but last year we were worse. I would also love to watch film of the QB play and the beating Mollberg and Bartels took for  two years.   Our running game and oline were not as good.    Studsrud is the QB and he shouldn't have to worry about getting pulled.  He needs to get better as a passer just like Mollberg and Bartels needed to continue to get better.  I was just sticking up for the other two guys when a blogger makes a post that he or she thinks is funny but I thought disrespectful to the other two guys.

There seems to be some revisionist history going on here.  Studsrud has done a good job this year but Mollberg was also playing very well last year when he got hurt.  I don't support making a change at this time but the level of Joe's play last year shouldn't be diminished.  In fact Joe's QB rating from last year and Keaton's this year are pretty similar.

Here are the respective QB ratings for 2014 and 2015

Mollberg - 108.5 rating in 2014

Studsrud - 58.4 rating in 2014 / 116.3 in 2015

• Upvote 1

There seems to be some revisionist history going on here.  Studsrud has done a good job this year but Mollberg was also playing very well last year when he got hurt.  I don't support making a change at this time but the level of Joe's play last year shouldn't be diminished.  In fact Joe's QB rating from last year and Keaton's this year are pretty similar.

Here are the respective QB ratings for 2014 and 2015

Mollberg - 108.5 rating in 2014

Studsrud - 58.4 rating in 2014 / 116.3 in 2015

2014 was Mollberg's 3rd season in the program. 2014 was Studsrud's 1st season and this season (2015) is Studsrud's 2nd season. In my opinion, take the 4-1 start and stick with the solid potential of Studsrud. 

• Upvote 1

I couldn't have been more pumped up  listening to the game,  how UND gutted out this win despite injuries, big mistakes, missed opportunities, and gifts given to Portland State.

I get a chance to read these comments with the bickering and it's sort of depressing....  in the immortal words of Mike Tice...  "calm down, calm down" .... and, "enjoy the season!"

After hearing about how great Portland State was against the run, I was shocked with how well we moved the ball.   And the defense played spectacularly with the exception of the first play from scrimmage. 

This team is young and improving.   Some of the mistakes made Saturday are, in the words of Christian Ponder, "easily correctable."   (last Viking reference I promise)

hopefully the banged up can get back to full health quickly, and if so, the Sky's the limit for this group.

4-1 baby!!!!!!!     see you on Saturday!!!!

"we're gonna make the playoffs next year, I'll tell ya that right now"

• Upvote 1

How is the kid from Rugby looking in practice at QB?

I'm from Rugby, and his dad coached me in basketball, so I think he should be starting. #factsonly

I have no idea where how's he's doing in practice, but mechanics, i.e., footwork, will be the focus of his work I'd imagine. He was kind of allowed to just be better than a lot of people in high school, and didn't need to be technical to outperform some teams. He's a pretty hardworking, sports-obsessed kid, so I would think his future could be promising.

• Upvote 1

I know that there was one more game last year, but at this point in the season compared to last year, our go-to running back (Santiago) has 442 net yards with six games to go versus 73 net rushing yards after five games for Jer Garmin, who had seven games to go. Jer finished the year with 858 net yards in rushing.