SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 season

darell1976

199 days until UND takes the field against Wyoming!!!! Who else is ready for football season.

I'm hoping to make that trip. Should be a perfect measuring stick for the season and a great warmup for NDSU. I'm glad we aren't going from some fluffy spread team to NDSU, that would spell disaster. It will basically be two weeks of preparing for NDSU with a game in between. It's a pretty perfect situation for us. The negative is it gives NDSU film of us against a weaker version of them.

I'm hoping to make that trip. Should be a perfect measuring stick for the season and a great warmup for NDSU. I'm glad we aren't going from some fluffy spread team to NDSU, that would spell disaster. It will basically be two weeks of preparing for NDSU with a game in between. It's a pretty perfect situation for us. The negative is it gives NDSU film of us against a weaker version of them.

Wyoming will be no pushover, but I agree that they will run what NDSU will run. If anything, at least their team isn't returning a winning squad, but they will be improved I'm afraid. Nevertheless, UND has a chance.

One thing about Wyoming's defense last year was that it was slow in the secondary.  They would get burned repeatedly for big yardage, or they would get burned in short passes because they were playing too far off the line due to their lack of speed.  (No, I'm not a football expert like GeauxSioux...)  Their recruiting class was ranked last in the MWC this year...which is no surprise.  But, Bohl does have a way of finding players, so it would not surprise me if their secondary is much improved this coming year. 

Some interesting stats from last.  NCAA ranking for 2014

Defensive stats(rank)        UND   NDSU   MSU   UM    EWU  POLY

3rd down conversion         55th    18th      97th    73rd  86th   96th

4th down conversion         61th     51th     52nd   32nd  70th   61st

1st downs                          28th     55th     112th  98th  114th  79th

Red Zone                          45th     92nd     81st    13th  110th  115th

Rushing                             5th      22nd      88th    37th  65th    73rd

Scoring                              56th    3rd        100th   19th  90th    75th

Team passing eff.             108th   5th         96th    50th  81st    93rd

Team Sacks                      16th    18th       94th     7th    58th   111th

Tackles for loss                 6th      72nd      111th   36th  85th   109th

Total Defense                   34th     5th         114th   39th  95th   80th

Wyoming will be no pushover, but I agree that they will run what NDSU will run. If anything, at least their team isn't returning a winning squad, but they will be improved I'm afraid. Nevertheless, UND has a chance.

I think you will see more spread looks with our personel next season and polasek using some wrinkles from NIU: but virtually the same power run offense for the most part.

How similar is the offence/defense/etc compared to what Kleiman runs at NDSU?  You would think they would have similar run teams since Keiman was under Bohl for so long.  Anyone notice similarities from last year?  If so, the Wyoming game would deffinitely help us prepare for the Bison 2 weeks later.

Its pretty similar but klieman/polasek ran more shot gun/jet sweeps/read option

I think you will see more spread looks with our personel next season and polasek using some wrinkles from NIU: but virtually the same power run offense for the most part.

If they're smart at all they'll try and spread us out and show that we can stop read option short passing. Basically run EWUs offense at first to see if we can hang with that. If we can then game on because our run d should be very good.

Some interesting stats from last.  NCAA ranking for 2014

Defensive stats(rank)        UND   NDSU   MSU   UM    EWU  POLY

3rd down conversion         55th    18th      97th    73rd  86th   96th

4th down conversion         61th     51th     52nd   32nd  70th   61st

1st downs                          28th     55th     112th  98th  114th  79th

Red Zone                          45th     92nd     81st    13th  110th  115th

Rushing                             5th      22nd      88th    37th  65th    73rd

Scoring                              56th    3rd        100th   19th  90th    75th

Team passing eff.             108th   5th         96th    50th  81st    93rd

Team Sacks                      16th    18th       94th     7th    58th   111th

Tackles for loss                 6th      72nd      111th   36th  85th   109th

Total Defense                   34th     5th         114th   39th  95th   80th

I believe UND had the lowest YPC defense in the FCS while facing the second most carries. 

2014 Stats Out of 125 FBS teams and 121 FCS teams

Pass Off:   Wyoming 67th (FBS) 227.8

UND        110th (FCS) 137.9

Rush Off:  Wyoming t77th (FBS) 153.2

UND        103rd (FCS) 116.4

Scoring Off: Wyoming 107th (FBS) 21.1

UND        109th (FCS) 15.9

Passing Def: Wyoming 61st (FBS)  227.8 (yds per game)

UND         99th (FCS) 251.9 (yds per game)

Rushing Def: Wyoming 101st (FBS) 203 (yds per game)

UND          5th (FCS)  102.5 (yds per game)

Scoring Def:  Wyoming 100th (FBS) 32.8 pts per game

UND         56th  (FCS) 26.2 pts per game

I think we match up pretty well with Wyoming. We could see a nail biter like we did with Fresno State, NIU, and San Diego State.

2014 Stats Out of 125 FBS teams and 121 FCS teams

Pass Off: Wyoming 67th (FBS) 227.8

UND 110th (FCS) 137.9

Rush Off: Wyoming t77th (FBS) 153.2

UND 103rd (FCS) 116.4

Scoring Off: Wyoming 107th (FBS) 21.1

UND 109th (FCS) 15.9

Passing Def: Wyoming 61st (FBS) 227.8 (yds per game)

UND 99th (FCS) 251.9 (yds per game)

Rushing Def: Wyoming 101st (FBS) 203 (yds per game)

UND 5th (FCS) 102.5 (yds per game)

Scoring Def: Wyoming 100th (FBS) 32.8 pts per game

UND 56th (FCS) 26.2 pts per game

I think we match up pretty well with Wyoming. We could see a nail biter like we did with Fresno State, NIU, and San Diego State.

And yet they're still an FBS team. We need to win one eventually. Next year would be a good time to do it. They'll be better presumably than last year though, as will we.

And yet they're still an FBS team. We need to win one eventually. Next year would be a good time to do it. They'll be better presumably than last year though, as will we.

NDSU can beat one, South Dakota can beat one there's no reason why UND can't.