SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 season

darell1976

A bit of context on my rushing comparisons:  last year's schedule was more front loaded with tougher teams compared to this year's schedule.  Santiago will have to slog through defenses from a gauntlet of traditionally strong BSC teams to wind down the year.  That said, Mont. State's defense is looking a little suspect at this point.

Those are composite rankings of something like 22 different rating scales (some of which are pretty far out there, UND's ranking varies from 8 to 76).

Massey rating itself actually has UND at 39.  Portland state dropped 14 spots to 26.  Squeaking by Drake (ranked 101) and Davis (81) are currently not helping UND in the computer rankings. The computer doesn't care that the games weren't as close as the score might have indicated, they only care about the final score.  Can't remember exactly how games from another division are handled but Wyoming being 127 out of 128 probably doesn't prop UND up as much as it should.

Great weekend for UND football.  Who would of thought we would be 4 and 1 and would of beaten an FBS school and have beaten the 16th ranked team  in the country.  My curiosity got the best of me.  I went and checked out Bisonville.  Much to my surprise they haven't even mentioned UND.  Normally they always talk about us.  Wonder why they stopped talking about us now.   Interesting.  

Honestly i hope we are unranked going into this weekend. My hope is that not being ranked gives the boys a bigger chip on their shoulder.

UND ranked at #25 in the coaches poll. Portland State ranked #23. I don't understand how you can keep Portland State ranked ahead of UND. Yes, it was a close game in terms of the score, but UND was the better team and should've won by more than they did. UND absolutely controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball against PSU.

UND ranked at #25 in the coaches poll. Portland State ranked #23. I don't understand how you can keep Portland State ranked ahead of UND. Yes, it was a close game in terms of the score, but UND was the better team and should've won by more than they did. UND absolutely controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball against PSU.

I guess people still think UND has a lot to prove. Which we do. But with that same mentality, you wonder how Portland St was ever ranked as high as they were.

Ironic that earlier you were unafraid to "state facts" and "call it like it is" and now you drop it into this nonsense. If you're going to play the tough guy who says the hard things, play the tough guy who says the hard things.

As far as ira, on Joe, clearly he is biased. Since the first two-deep was released, its clear he has more to say on the issue than any of us, but its been nothing but support for the program and the coaching staff. If you've got your own beef with him, give him a call. You're talking about statements made literally 11 years ago.

My point was Ira is clearly not able to be objective about a position battle if one of the candidates is from Detroit Lakes. That has been a pattern I have noticed over the years, I just haven't commented on it until now. Otherwise, I think Ira brings a good perspective on the program that the rest of us cannot provide.

I guess I am just sick of people acting like we are 0-5 and struggling instead of 4-1 and improving day by day, week by week. Let's just roll with the punches (good and bad) and enjoy the ride. I actually like the process of building a program as I do the results when the pieces are in place for a title run.

• Upvote 1

In coaches poll Portland St. is ranked ahead of us.  I am not sure how high we should be ranked but what in the world would have Portland St. ranked ahead of us.  We just beat them at THEIR place and dominated the line of scrimmage.  We have a better record and I repeat that we just beat them at THEIR place.  That is why polls are very often a bunch of baloney.

In coaches poll Portland St. is ranked ahead of us.  I am not sure how high we should be ranked but what in the world would have Portland St. ranked ahead of us.  We just beat them at THEIR place and dominated the line of scrimmage.  We have a better record and I repeat that we just beat them at THEIR place.  That is why polls are very often a bunch of baloney.

Had a coach in HS tell me, Polls are for Trolls. They're fun for fans and the media, but ultimately wins and losses are what matter.

Look - no one is ripping on this 4-1 team.  People are, however, expressing frustration about the QB position which has been unsettled for quite some time.  We have 3 talented guys on the roster and, other than for a few brief flashes, haven't been able to establish much of a passing game.  There are multiple reasons for this, but it appears to be a big piece of the puzzle we need to develop.  Woven in this is the lackluster play calling.  When the starter throws only 1 or 2 out of 5 passes with reasonable accuracy and touch you are going to get comments and calls for the guys on the bench.  Is Studsrud developing - yes.  Are we anywhere near having a DI passing game - no.  Like we saw with the Bison - when we play a strong team that has absolutely no respect for our passing game, we are going to have a bad time.  And yes, this type of discussion is what fan boards are built for.  

Look - no one is ripping on this 4-1 team.  People are, however, expressing frustration about the QB position which has been unsettled for quite some time.  We have 3 talented guys on the roster and, other than for a few brief flashes, haven't been able to establish much of a passing game.  There are multiple reasons for this, but it appears to be a big piece of the puzzle we need to develop.  Woven in this is the lackluster play calling.  When the starter throws only 1 or 2 out of 5 passes with reasonable accuracy and touch you are going to get comments and calls for the guys on the bench.  Is Studsrud developing - yes.  Are we anywhere near having a DI passing game - no.  Like we saw with the Bison - when we play a strong team that has absolutely no respect for our passing game, we are going to have a bad time.  And yes, this type of discussion is what fan boards are built for.  

I think Portland State saw film of our first 4 games I would see that the pass game is definitely not our strength and that we would be focusing hard on the run game.  Doubt they had much respect for our pass game either and were more than likely keying in on the run.  But funny, we ran for 260 yards.  Who ever said that you had to have a prolific passing attach to win games?  If you can run the ball with success, eat clock, and score....that is going to win games for you. 

• Upvote 1

2014 was Mollberg's 3rd season in the program. 2014 was Studsrud's 1st season and this season (2015) is Studsrud's 2nd season. In my opinion, take the 4-1 start and stick with the solid potential of Studsrud. 

That is true but it was Mollberg's second season on the field, same as Studsrud has now.   Studsrud only played 4 games last year but Mollberg didn't play full time either so not a full season and a half.  Just saying their numbers are similar for both during their second seasons on the field.  Mollberg would have improved by playing this year also, same as Studsrud.

Again - I wouldn't make a change either but don't short change Mollberg.  He was playing very well when he got hurt - and we couldn't run the ball at that time.

• Upvote 1

The team with the most points at the end of the game wins the game.

If UND throws for 0 yards but runs for enough scores to have more points than the other team, then that's all that matters. 

Lets not overthink this. If UND can run the football when the other team knows they are gonna run it, that just plays right into the physical mindset that Bubba has instilled in this program. 

The passing game needs to improve, but scoring and protecting the ball are the two most important offensive qualities - let's not forget that.

• Upvote 2

Agree on many of your points but disagree on one: the QB situation IS settled. It's Studsrud. Flaws and all, like it or not, he is the player that coaching staff has decided is the best QB currently on the roster for this team. 

• Upvote 1

That is true but it was Mollberg's second season on the field, same as Studsrud has now.   Studsrud only played 4 games last year but Mollberg didn't play full time either so not a full season and a half.  Just saying their numbers are similar for both during their second seasons on the field.  Mollberg would have improved by playing this year also, same as Studsrud.

Again - I wouldn't make a change either but don't short change Mollberg.  He was playing very well when he got hurt - and we couldn't run the ball at that time.

Turnovers. Mollberg had too many last season. Studsrud is protecting the ball better than Mollberg did in 2013 and 2014. There are a few lapses in judgment here and there, but overall Studsrud is better in that department. The numbers/facts/stats support this. 

• Upvote 1

Sounds like Taj Rich is out for the rest of the season.

It is a tough blow for Taj, especially when he made a key play in the 3rd to strip the ball.  Hope he fully recovers and can have a strong Senior season.  Im hoping with the lack of news about Reyes is a good sign that his injury isn't too serious.

#NextManUp

Does this mean we will finally see Baker get some meaningful snaps?