SiouxSports.com Forum

What's Needed At The Alerus?

geaux_sioux

22 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I don't have a big problem with your ideas for the most part, well when it comes to actual football.  It's the never ending blah blah blah that gets old.  Repetition of a point can diminish the message.

True. 
I just like to “Stand Up and Cheer”, not sit down and cheer. 

• Downvote 1

16 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I completely agree with this, and it would instantly hype up the crowd. Absolute guarantee to get people ready for kickoff. Metallica is ok, stay away from AC/DC because of ag school (they’ve ruined Thunderstruck for me) but rather I would go with the alan parsons project sirius (chicago bulls theme song). Would absolutely rock the place if done right. UN-L does fabulous job with this done at Memorial Stadium; they’ve mastered the tunnel walk, and were the first to do it. 

Getting back to UND, I thought the highlight video to start was fine, but play Alan Parsons Project, have doors open, and then follow Bubba leading them out the tunnel. Would be spot on

lastly, for additional items to the entrance, I would like stats and scores throughout the game, but also show some highlight videos. for example, before the potato bowl vs NAU on 9/9, show the highlights from the 2016 comeback game vs NAU that secured the Big Sky championship. Do something to get the crowd pumped up and provide context for new fans. Also, pay tribute to und football history. With it being potato bowl time, show a tribute video of the late Jerry Olson, former UND HC (first UND HC from ND) and founder of the potato bowl.

Then, of course, for when NDSU comes to town 10/14, you definitely have years of highlight material to string together. Throw some highlights of Digger Anderson stuffing the 4th down attempt in 2003 to get the latest win for und against ag school. Just do something to spice up the fan base. I’m sorry, but the lack of enthusiasm towards football is so obvious. It’s an effort thing, not a lack of competence or innovation. 

100%

show jimmy k running away from the whole team in the fdome

show phillip moore running away from the crowd

greg loytusz pancaking someone

dr death sack

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

Actions speak louder than words and thanks to all on this board who have reached out to UND athletics and/or the Alerus.

why do we/people have to call someone at their job to tell them to do better.......i wouldn't like it if people called me at mcdonald's and told me the bathroom toilets need plunging?  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Cheer? Cheer?   I'm no expert but I don't think your posts are even occasionally hinting on "cheering".

We’ll agree to disagree. My ideas are beyond suggestive of cheer. They show support and actual caring.  Again, constructive criticism shows commitment and value. Complete emptiness or quietness is apathy, and much more damaging than “never ending blah blah”.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

I don't have a big problem with your ideas for the most part, well when it comes to actual football.  It's the never ending blah blah blah that gets old.  Repetition of a point can diminish the message.

500% 

But I’m sure it’ll continue as he thinks it shows how much he cares.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

It's really not that hard.  Really only need to look about 17 miles south for an example of a good game day experience.  I mean, if you want to get crazy, spend a couple bucks to visit some other stadiums in the region and see what they do!!  I don't know why this is so hard to figure out.  

Reynolds?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

Is there any factual evidence that fan expectations play a significant role?  Does your constant sniping & griping help?

From being a former college athlete (albeit basketball not football), 100% fan expectations play a role in how a team performs. I wouldn't say it plays a "significant" role, but it definitely plays a role. Just my 2 cents. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wheelsup said:

This to me is the entire issue..  I dont really think I should have to call someone to say

• hey.. do you think we could have a decent amount of new UND football merchandise at the UND football game.  Fans might be interested in buying some inside the stadium and not have to go over to the UND bookstore or Hockey Arena to get some gear.  By the way I dont care if they sell a single shirt.. its more of an image thing.  Ive had multiple friends/family members/alumni come to the games with me and comment on the lack of ability to buy merch at the game so I would guess they would sell a shirt or two.
  • hey.. new idea for you.. at the football game would it be possible to make sure the PA system worked well enough so that I can hear what the ref is saying when he/she makes the call after replay etc?
  • hey... it would be really fun to be able to see the stats on scoreboard during the game.. you know like you can at every other college football game and even some high school football games these days

These "ideas" seem like no brainers to me.. entry level marketing type stuff (Ive heard we have a good business school).  When I hear someone say that it was supposed to work, but it didnt, it really seems like an entry level effort.. not a Division 1 athletics effort.  This is one of the areas I tend to agree a bit with UND-FB-FAN.. its an attention to detail thing.. its an image thing.. its an effort thing.  If they can figure it out at concordia or the other school close by we should be able to figure it out in Grand Forks.

Before Ralph built the arena he flew quite a few people to different arenas to see and get their impressions.  I.e. Focus group.  Excellent marketing to develop the Ralph.

So years ago we had to drop our Indian nickname because if was offensive to White Liberals Indians I guess........so we've moved to the Fighting Hawks.

Even though our new nickname has no ethnic ties I think honoring the Irish roots of our area with some sort of Irish music for our walkup would be fantastic....Not saying it has to be House of Pain or the Dropkick Murphy's....although i wouldn't be against it.....but if we do let's do it a little different. I was biking thru Lincoln Park a few years ago by the south pedestrian bridge and i came across a single man playing the bagpipe near dusk...all by himself...coolest thing ever.  So, if we do something "Irish" could be get a few bagpipers to lead the guys onto the field in kilts and irish regalia?  Some could be on the field where they run out...a few on the catwalks....a few around the concourse....the starting of the bagpipes would let the fans know that the guys are about to run onto the field...maybe mix a few Irish flags in with our 701 flags?  

The playing of the Bagpipe was banned in Scotland after the uprising of 1745. They were classified as an instrument of war by the loyalist government. They were kept alive in secret. Anyone caught carrying pipes were punished, the same as any man that bore arms for Bonnie Prince Charlie.

Just a thought....

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

So years ago we had to drop our Indian nickname because if was offensive to White Liberals Indians I guess........so we've moved to the Fighting Hawks.

Even though our new nickname has no ethnic ties I think honoring the Irish roots of our area with some sort of Irish music for our walkup would be fantastic....Not saying it has to be House of Pain or the Dropkick Murphy's....although i wouldn't be against it.....but if we do let's do it a little different. I was biking thru Lincoln Park a few years ago by the south pedestrian bridge and i came across a single man playing the bagpipe near dusk...all by himself...coolest thing ever.  So, if we do something "Irish" could be get a few bagpipers to lead the guys onto the field in kilts and irish regalia?  Some could be on the field where they run out...a few on the catwalks....a few around the concourse....the starting of the bagpipes would let the fans know that the guys are about to run onto the field...maybe mix a few Irish flags in with our 701 flags?  

The playing of the Bagpipe was banned in Scotland after the uprising of 1745. They were classified as an instrument of war by the loyalist government. They were kept alive in secret. Anyone caught carrying pipes were punished, the same as any man that bore arms for Bonnie Prince Charlie.

Just a thought....

I like the bagpipes and all, but there’s another team that uses that moniker and the ND moniker. Should probably stay away from anything Irish. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

I like the bagpipes and all, but there’s another team that uses that moniker and the ND moniker. Should probably stay away from anything Irish. 

agreed no imagery or monikers...just some irish music with or without bagpipes and maybe an irish flag or two.

23 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Is there anything better for any entrance for any college team in any sport than VA Tech's Enter Sandman........but if a blow up helmet will appease some here go for it.

exactly...kuddos to whatever intern thought of that at va tech and told his stodgy old boss and he ran with it.....

i remember going to the soft opening of the ralph on that friday eve iirc and when they did the light show with sandstorm (by darude?) i was blown away....loud music, lasers (frick'n lasers beams), flashing strobe lights....crazy

the alerus has everything ....just not someone with vision to do something outside the box.........like VA tech

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Just a thought....

Are there Irish roots in Grand Forks? 

1 hour ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

Are there Irish roots in Grand Forks? 

Why yes there are.  Anything to get away from that loud rap/technopop crap they play - it doesn't fire anyone up and is super annoying.  Give me the bagpipes or anything else.   

• Upvote 2