SiouxSports.com Forum

What's Needed At The Alerus?

geaux_sioux

23 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

@jdub27 Took it to the absolute extreme for no reason. All @fightingsioux4life said was, "And nothing will change, per usual" in regards to trying to talk to athletic department staff at fundraising events. Never said anything about them never changing anything ever or even attempting to change anything ever. That isn't even realistic for anyone to say.

Should have a mega downvote button for that post. 

Comprehension is hard for some people. 

Seems to be right up there with taking any sort of effort to talk to those in charge. 

On the other hand, had some great conversations with stakeholders and decision makers this week on a lot of things going on and getting more insight on the Alston awards, how and why it came about and the theory and reasoning behind why they took that route. Was able to ask questions and give input on my thoughts on it as well.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, SlowHand said:

Back in the 90's a bar in north Austin had nickle beers every Thursday.  Was a !@#$ show.

You could get bombed for a buck. Really bombed for two bucks. :)  I remember $1.50 pitchers at Down Under. I stumbled home a few times. I lived at the 42nd street Apartments and it was very convenient. Cheap, questionable beer. The good ole days. 

2 hours ago, Goon said:

You could get bombed for a buck. Really bombed for two bucks. :)  I remember $1.50 pitchers at Down Under. I stumbled home a few times. I lived at the 42nd street Apartments and it was very convenient. Cheap, questionable beer. The good ole days. 

What I wouldn't give to go back in time to the Down Under on a Friday and see all of the usual faces and $1.50 pitchers. 

16 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

What I wouldn't give to go back in time to the Down Under on a Friday and see all of the usual faces and $1.50 pitchers. 

Way back in the day it was $1.00 pitchers at the Spud.  $0.35 (35 centers) on Thursday nights. 

same sentiment about going back in time to relive that. 

1 hour ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Way back in the day it was $1.00 pitchers at the Spud.  $0.35 (35 centers) on Thursday nights. 

Some of us old farts remember when Frenchy increased his regular price of a pitcher from $.75 to $1.00.   Some of us were so distraught, we didn't go to class for days!!

• Upvote 1

Cheap beer and letting students of legal age drink would do it. Announcer: That is a UND touchdown (QB sack, field goal,  tackle for a loss). Beer is now (discounted rate) until 25 bottles are sold or for 10 minutes or whatever. Why give away pizza when you could offer cheap beer?

6 hours ago, Goon said:

I had a girlfriend that worked at the DUNDer, never bought a pitcher on Friday nights. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Fond memories of Buck Pitchers...or at least I think I can remember them.

Just now, Siouxperman8 said:

And the Red Pepper had a restaurant in the Spud too. 

Who ate during Buck Pitchers?

The most striking memories are of the fall and spring. You'd stumble out at 5:00 into bright sunshine and it felt like you just left hibernation.

10 minutes ago, shep said:

The most striking memories are of the fall and spring. You'd stumble out at 5:00 into bright sunshine and it felt like you just left hibernation.

True.  No time to waste during buck pitchers. 

I did manage to consume tacos, grinders and cheese tostadas a few times before heading home late at night. 

On 8/3/2023 at 7:09 PM, shep said:

the biggest decision on Friday's was: do I go to my 2:00 o'clock......... or not ? 

1 hour ago, Going48 said:

the biggest decision on Friday's was: do I go to my 2:00 o'clock......... or not ? 

I and some other Walsh Hall friends made sure our Friday's were done by noon. Hit the cafeteria for lunch, then hit Buck Pitchers by 1:00. 

• 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

The alerus really needs to get their crap together.  There were a couple issues during yesterdays game that should get fixed immediately!

1) the PA and the ref were both on at the same time.  You could not hear what the ref was saying for his calls/reviews

2) I saw an usher chewing out a group of boys for having the nerve to stand and cheer while our team was on defense.  They must have been blocking some grey hairs view of the game.  

3) is it too much to ask to have a little merchandise for sale at the game? there were like 3 small racks.. and we are still selling the same GameDay shirt from about 10years ago.

4) seems like we could put a little more effort into the entrance. 

there were 8500 fans there.. might as well kill the spirit of the faithful that showed up.  I know this is heresy but go to a bison game.. they have stacks of merch for sale all over and their entrance stuff is pretty cool. Feels like the alerus and/or our marketing group are just mailing it in for UND football. These seem like short putts easy to fix with a little effort.

Grey Hair here - I found the very loud blasting technopop/rap during the entire half time (and other times too) extremely annoying.  Impossible to visit and ruins the live atmosphere of an event. Does nothing to fire up a crowd.  And at this point many of the young people have left or are leaving.

• Upvote 3

For whatever reason they left the lights on that point towards the stands for a while, and then they turned off and on like 3 times.

The entrance was definitely lacking. What happened to the blow up UND helmet? After the hype video plays, they need to cue to the doors opening and Bubba leading the boys out, with some sort of song, which has been Metallica in the past. 

Im also in agreement with the music, it’s like they can never figure out the proper volume to play it at. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, F'n Hawks said:

For whatever reason they left the lights on that point towards the stands for a while, and then they turned off and on like 3 times.

The entrance was definitely lacking. What happened to the blow up UND helmet? After the hype video plays, they need to cue to the doors opening and Bubba leading the boys out, with some sort of song, which has been Metallica in the past. 

Im also in agreement with the music, it’s like they can never figure out the proper volume to play it at. 

I have not be to the Alerus in a couple of year and remember how terrible the PA sounded. It is just not a good facility for sound due to the metal barn style walls. You would think Spectrum could bring in a sound engineer to come up with a solution.