SiouxSports.com Forum

What's Needed At The Alerus?

geaux_sioux

2 hours ago, 1badapl said:

A winning football team and fans. I know this sounds sarcastic but I’m being totally honest and not trolling.

I like your name, could have used your help trolling last week.

Wait, which definition are you associating yourself with?
one bad apple can spoil the whole basket
or
 someone who creates problems or causes trouble for others

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Boogieman said:

I'm sure I'm late to the party, and if someone has already brought it up, I will concur: 

Time to boot the students over into one of the corner sections and free up between the 40's for people who want to be there.

A few years back, the UND made the smart move of moving the Student section down one section and opening up section 215 for season tickets to the general public.  That section sold out basically right away.  No I get it, you want students to be at the game.  But given the lack of interest among UND students (and students everywhere at college stadiums) I propose the UND redo the seating again starting next year and move the student section down one more section.  Make the student section 211, 212, and 213 and open up section 214 for season tickets.  These tickets are on the 50 yard line.  They would sell out these seats for season tickets very easily.  

As much as I want students to have great seats at the Alerus, if they aren't going to show up, UND needs to sell these to people that will actually show up.  Want to improve the atmosphere in the Alerus?  Increase attendance.  Want to increase attendance, sell more prime season tickets to fans who will actually show up and stay.  

seating.png

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

A few years back, the UND made the smart move of moving the Student section down one section and opening up section 215 for season tickets to the general public.  That section sold out basically right away.  No I get it, you want students to be at the game.  But given the lack of interest among UND students (and students everywhere at college stadiums) I propose the UND redo the seating again starting next year and move the student section down one more section.  Make the student section 211, 212, and 213 and open up section 214 for season tickets.  These tickets are on the 50 yard line.  They would sell out these seats for season tickets very easily.  

As much as I want students to have great seats at the Alerus, if they aren't going to show up, UND needs to sell these to people that will actually show up.  Want to improve the atmosphere in the Alerus?  Increase attendance.  Want to increase attendance, sell more prime season tickets to fans who will actually show up and stay.  

seating.png

I would switch from 215 - 214 in a heartbeat! I agree that 211-213 would be ideal for students. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Boogieman said:

I'm sure I'm late to the party, and if someone has already brought it up, I will concur: 

Time to boot the students over into one of the corner sections and free up between the 40's for people who want to be there.

Should have been done YEARS ago. The students get the corner, 40 to 40 on both sides should be for season ticket holders. 

NCAA policy requires this to happen during playoff games anyways. 

I was just watching a documentary on the origins of college football. They talked about what it took to fill a stadium with people. It’s not about winning , but to provide a great experience at the game. Whether is in game entertainment or the half time marching band show it’s the experience that brought people back. If the introductions were lame and the music was too loud or too quiet that takes away from the game experience. The football games should be ran like the hockey games.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I was just watching a documentary on the origins of college football. They talked about what it took to fill a stadium with people. It’s not about winning , but to provide a great experience at the game. Whether is in game entertainment or the half time marching band show it’s the experience that brought people back. If the introductions were lame and the music was too loud or too quiet that takes away from the game experience. The football games should be ran like the hockey games.

While I agree with having a great fan experience at home games, the bolded part is a troubling mentality. Winning does matter when it comes to putting butts into seats. We should strive to both put a winning, championship-contending team on the field AND provide our fans with the best possible in-game experience. Both of them need work right now.

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

While I agree with having a great fan experience at home games, the bolded part is a troubling mentality. Winning does matter when it comes to putting butts into seats. We should strive to both put a winning, championship-contending team on the field AND provide our fans with the best possible in-game experience. Both of them need work right now.

People would still show up if the fan experience was high. Obviously winning fills the stadiums but we cannot just ignore the other times. Look at the hockey games, they have stayed pretty full last year after a rough season.

• Like 1

The key is young kids go to games with their parents, those kids get older and buy tickets to games, then eventually become season ticket holders.  Probably the story for many of us on here.  I am not saying treat kids as future investments for the program.  Just saying that making it easier for families and kids to go to games is going to be better long term for this program.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

https://cw.ua.edu/54080/sports/alabama-athletics-unveils-tide-loyalty-points-program/

How bout this idea. Alabama rewarding bonus points to students for football games. Points go to things such as attending the game, donating your ticket to someone else, and staying until the 4th quarter. 

Except what would the points be for at UND? Tickets are already free and not hard to come by... You can't incentivize something that students already don't attend on a consistent basis. So unless the points go towards something related to hockey (and then we have to hear more complaining about how hockey gets all the attention and money) there is no "prize" for students.

• Upvote 1

I missed the game against Drake, so today was my first game.....

16 years as a season ticket holder and I can't understand why the Alerus Center production crew can't figure out the pre-game intro/hype procedure.........

It is so unprofessional, they can't even figure out the proper volume levels for the intro music, much less the timing.  The Ralph has been knocking that stuff out of the park at a professional level for years and are just blocks away..........

I know it is trivial, but at a time when we are try go to keep young people engaged with what could be an electrified atmosphere, it is sad to me that 40-some year olds like me find the pre game hype stuff quite lame.........

• Upvote 4

So sponsorship at the Alerus seems to be not as noticeable as at the Fargodome. The 2 or 3’ signs along the visiting sideline need a new media presence.... also, advertising the “Lactation Lounge” so often on the video monitors? Driving up I noted some businesses I did NOT see but they may support other sports.

Both facilities were built with public money and have a “relationship” with a public university.... why does the Fargodome have what appears to be more permanent and prominent sponsorship advertising? Just wondering...

13 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

why does the Fargodome have what appears to be more permanent and prominent sponsorship advertising? Just wondering...

I think it may be equal parts architecture and desire.

The 4 corners of the Fargodome seem like they were either custom-built for dedicated signage, or retrofitted to maximize revenue.  The Alerus is a very sterile environment that simply lacks the vertical real estate of the 'dome.  But to be sure, I think that the leadership in Fargo has been very aggressive in monetizing that facility; the larger population, larger seating capacity, and success of the team are all factors.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

I missed the game against Drake, so today was my first game.....

16 years as a season ticket holder and I can't understand why the Alerus Center production crew can't figure out the pre-game intro/hype procedure.........

It is so unprofessional, they can't even figure out the proper volume levels for the intro music, much less the timing.  The Ralph has been knocking that stuff out of the park at a professional level for years and are just blocks away..........

I know it is trivial, but at a time when we are try go to keep young people engaged with what could be an electrified atmosphere, it is sad to me that 40-some year olds like me find the pre game hype stuff quite lame.........

It is just too amateur. The approach to UND football gameday operations is way too apathetic. No one cares enough. 

For starters, UND and/or the Alerus Center need to hire employees with an IQ at least over 50. At least have that as a prerequisite.

Also, UND’s athletic department headed by Chaves needs to better emphasize Alerus Center gameday operations as an area of much needed improvement.

Everyone who agrees with this needs to contact Chaves and voice your concern. In my limited experience speaking with Chaves thus far, count me unimpressed. 

• Upvote 3