SiouxSports.com Forum

What's Needed At The Alerus?

geaux_sioux

4 hours ago, southpaw said:

I take issue with all 3 of your points, mainly because I've run the video board at multiple D1 venues.

First, the audio on the field from music is not nearly as loud as it is in the stands. The speakers are positioned and tuned for the fan experience, that music isn't going to affect a team during the huddle. 

Music also shouldn't be used or expected to cause issues with the opposing team. That's what yelling fans are for. 

The video boards are not there to show only the game. If you want to watch it on a screen instead of looking at the live thing happening in front of you, stay at home and watch it on TV.

There is nothing wrong with showing the replay of a TD immediately after a touchdown. Many people want to see that right away. Yes, you show the TD replay after the XP, but why wouldn't you show it after the TD?

Yes fan noise is expected but music should absolutely be expected to help create issues for an opposing team - that is what a home field advantage is. Perhaps the speakers are positioned for fan experience but why have any chance that the home team doesn't have zero communications issues during their huddle? 

Not everyone is sitting at the 50 yard line with no one taller than them standing up in front of them. Sometimes you have to look at the screen to see what is going on - but again why have cameras in the crowd when the action is on the field?

They never show a touchdown replay more than once - showing it during the XP it gets lost in the shuffle. 

Just my opinions. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Yes fan noise is expected but music should absolutely be expected to help create issues for an opposing team - that is what a home field advantage is. Perhaps the speakers are positioned for fan experience but why have any chance that the home team doesn't have zero communications issues during their huddle? 

Not everyone is sitting at the 50 yard line with no one taller than them standing up in front of them. Sometimes you have to look at the screen to see what is going on - but again why have cameras in the crowd when the action is on the field?

They never show a touchdown replay more than once - showing it during the XP it gets lost in the shuffle. 

Just my opinions. 

Point 1: Again, the speakers don't affect the huddle communication. Especially, after the speaker fixes a couple years ago. It's literally never an issue. Ambient noise from people talking during the game is just as loud on the field. 

Point 2: The video board is not there for the handful of fans who refuse to stand up when their view is blocked. The cameras from the in-house feed are 10% for the live play (0% presnap), 50% for fan engagement and 40% replays. 

Point 3: Send UND an email.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Just my opinions. 

Regarding music being played on offense or defense:

When music is playing, people tend to not make as much noise. Speakers are pointed to the stands, mouths are pointed to the field. I would consider playing music when UND is on offense to keep people from yelling, then turn it off when UND is on defense and use the boards and announcer to encourage the crowd to fill that silence with noise of their own. At least those sound waves will be traveling in the right direction.

The band can be a positive if they have a good selection of shorts(2-10 seconds each), but they need a drum major or director that understands football in order to insert the right short at the right time. (That's actually how I became a FB fan - I was a drum major at NDSU for two years and needed to learn the basics of FB in order to do my job. Some DMs did, some didn't; I wanted to be one that did.)

I would say the biggest problem(for every FB program, not just yours) is that you need a very unique person running things in the control room. To be really successful, they almost need to have a theatre background or something like it in order to understand how to pull everything together for an audience. But at the same time, they need to completely understand football. Not a typical combination of traits. And in a modern control room, you have so much technology to work with, so you have to add being a techie to that list of traits. Now that's a real tough combination to find; I've found them to be almost mutually exclusive. (which is also why local sports broadcasts often suck so much)

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Hammersmith said:

Regarding music being played on offense or defense:

When music is playing, people tend to not make as much noise. Speakers are pointed to the stands, mouths are pointed to the field. I would consider playing music when UND is on offense to keep people from yelling, then turn it off when UND is on defense and use the boards and announcer to encourage the crowd to fill that silence with noise of their own. At least those sound waves will be traveling in the right direction.

The band can be a positive if they have a good selection of shorts(2-10 seconds each), but they need a drum major or director that understands football in order to insert the right short at the right time. (That's actually how I became a FB fan - I was a drum major at NDSU for two years and needed to learn the basics of FB in order to do my job. Some DMs did, some didn't; I wanted to be one that did.)

I would say the biggest problem(for every FB program, not just yours) is that you need a very unique person running things in the control room. To be really successful, they almost need to have a theatre background or something like it in order to understand how to pull everything together for an audience. But at the same time, they need to completely understand football. Not a typical combination of traits. And in a modern control room, you have so much technology to work with, so you have to add being a techie to that list of traits. Now that's a real tough combination to find; I've found them to be almost mutually exclusive. (which is also why local sports broadcasts often suck so much)

Having a producer, director, announcer and sound guy on the same page with a knowledge of the sport is huge. 

But so is having the band director and marketing staff. So much dead air happens when the band isn't ready or when marketing staff doesn't have people ready for the next stoppage. 

• Upvote 1

I totally agree with the theater background...two of my favorite plays were “Old Time Radio” and “USO Show.” Both had only speaking and no blocking/choreography. The audience loved both plays. The importance of a dramatic voice can not be underestimated. 

As far as technology.... I do not think there is a church in our community of 7000 that the average parishioner could walk in and turn in the mic for the clergy. Huge issue....

I would venture to say you could learn the football issues, or have someone there coaching you what to say, but the dramatic voice and appeasing the crowd is innate. Start looking for 2020....

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Interesting how much TM is upping their dues and NDSU taking away more tix from students.  Bills are getting big these days.  

Or, it's about maintaining championships? Looking ahead, being smart.
Costs, coaches salaries, transportation, and etc. do go up.
We're still in the Division II era with our student section (now mostly empty) at midfield. The Goofs, Griz, Bobcats, Coyotes, Rabbits, & Bison all slid their students towards the goal posts. 

Why is this so hard for us to figure out?

To a more user friendly way, hockey needs to get this right, no way we should of had all those no butts in the upper seats in the student section this last weekend for best ticket of the season.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If the students aren't filling them (and they're not), why not and see if there's revenue to be had. 

That's my understanding. The students haven't been using all their seats so it makes sense to turn them into revenue seats. I assume they will also reduce the student fees like they did last time.

The facility isn't perfect, but it's more than fine if the product on the field is good.  Unfortunately UND is stuck in a rut of thinking that a guy that has never won a college playoff game in 10-11 years of being a head coach is the right guy to turn the team into a power.  

On 1/12/2015 at 2:32 PM, Cratter said:

Put ceiling tiles in the building to get rid of the fugly exposed ceilings. Tile the ugly concrete floors. Put sheetrock over the fugly tin everywhere. Add more windows everywhere possible. Make a club lounge somewhere for fans during halftime.

Ceiling tiles? Really?  This is an arena, not a grocery store!

• Upvote 2

I go to watch the game, don’t really care about half time entertainment, pre game entertainment

the in game announcing needs to be a lot better and the pregame video is so out of sync with anything you just stand there and wait for ?

a few drinks and eating varieties is all that’s needed for me and I very seldom buy those with how they out price themselves.

make it family friendly including food and drink prices

move the students

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kab said:

I go to watch the game, don’t really care about half time entertainment, pre game entertainment

the in game announcing needs to be a lot better and the pregame video is so out of sync with anything you just stand there and wait for ?

a few drinks and eating varieties is all that’s needed for me and I very seldom buy those with how they out price themselves.

make it family friendly including food and drink prices

move the students

Great focus.... the GAME.... love this whole post.