SiouxSports.com Forum

What's Needed At The Alerus?

geaux_sioux

On 10/10/2019 at 1:13 PM, Ozzie82 said:

Please stop with these types of posts. Please. Anyone who disagrees with you "accepts average," "content with the status quo," or other such garbage. Aside from the fact that it's rarely true, there are many ways to skin a cat - and guess what - sometimes it may differ from your opinion. This line of thinking is so tiresome.

Hey Ozzie.  Your thoughts on today’s game ? You are 100% positive with und football. ....thoughts ? Is und football average, below or above average?   You usually wait 2-3 days to call out the negative responses but I’m sure your watching.  Thoughts please. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

They should have an instructional sheet that stays in the AV room for those working in the studio that don't understand the nuances of football. My suggestions would include: 

1. Know when it is important to play music loud. That would be when the other teams has the ball. Stop the music when UND is in their huddle. Part of a home field advantage is making it hard for the other team's offense to hear and easy for the home team offense to hear.

2. Put the camera shot on the field at least 10 seconds before the ball is hiked. There are numerous instances when the big screens have spectator shots on them and the ball is set and about to be put into play. 

3. Wait until AFTER the extra point to show a touchdown replay and know that it is okay to show a touchdown replay more than once, if time allows. 

Other suggestions?

I’d make the list shorter:

1.  Fire anyone who doesn’t understand the nuances of football.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

They should have an instructional sheet that stays in the AV room for those working in the studio that don't understand the nuances of football. My suggestions would include: 

1. Know when it is important to play music loud. That would be when the other teams has the ball. Stop the music when UND is in their huddle. Part of a home field advantage is making it hard for the other team's offense to hear and easy for the home team offense to hear.

2. Put the camera shot on the field at least 10 seconds before the ball is hiked. There are numerous instances when the big screens have spectator shots on them and the ball is set and about to be put into play. 

3. Wait until AFTER the extra point to show a touchdown replay and know that it is okay to show a touchdown replay more than once, if time allows.

I take issue with all 3 of your points, mainly because I've run the video board at multiple D1 venues.

First, the audio on the field from music is not nearly as loud as it is in the stands. The speakers are positioned and tuned for the fan experience, that music isn't going to affect a team during the huddle. 

Music also shouldn't be used or expected to cause issues with the opposing team. That's what yelling fans are for. 

The video boards are not there to show only the game. If you want to watch it on a screen instead of looking at the live thing happening in front of you, stay at home and watch it on TV.

There is nothing wrong with showing the replay of a TD immediately after a touchdown. Many people want to see that right away. Yes, you show the TD replay after the XP, but why wouldn't you show it after the TD?

4. Announce the names of the UND players making tackles, runs, catching passes, etc. Just flashing their photo on the screen is not contributing to the game experience. Hearing the names announced allows spectators to focus on the field.

5. “On your feet fans for another UND third down!” Bring back some standard, and previously successful, tag lines that motivated spectators. Who stands and keeps their mouth shut? I sure don’t

6. sponsorship sponsorship sponsorship Get it figured out... there must be some grad student working on an MBA who knows something about football... 

7. Create that sense of community, being part of something bigger,  or the “UND family” again. I think all 6 ideas would be a start.

I am not impressed with loud rather obnoxious music being turned on every few seconds.... save it for when it makes an impact.

I may have to come to the play off game....for sure more games next year!

Go Sioux!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2