SiouxSports.com Forum

What's Needed At The Alerus?

geaux_sioux

Go on Judge Judy and let her handle it.... you can’t fix stupid but common sense is long gone today...

Did your parents ever say “Don’t do something stupid; you’ll get hurt?”

when my 38 year old son was in 6th grade we went on a bike ride... somehow my bike tire got caught on the curb and I landed looking up at the sky in the soft grass of the Catholic Cemetery. His first words were.” Mom, can we use someone?” I replied absolutely not.... it is worse now!

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

so that wouldn't have happened without the lawsuits?

I'm against frivolous lawsuits like you.  At times, though, lawsuits are needed in order to improve safety.  I'm not siding with the guy who slipped at the Alerus necessarily, especially since I don't know the details.  But I also won't go as far to say that the company/businesses have zero responsibility in the safety of it's patrons.  It's not as black and white as you are trying to make it.    

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

I'm against frivolous lawsuits like you.  At times, though, lawsuits are needed in order to improve safety.  I'm not siding with the guy who slipped at the Alerus necessarily, especially since I don't know the details.  But I also won't go as far to say that the company/businesses have zero responsibility in the safety of it's patrons.  It's not as black and white as you are trying to make it.    

So how many "spill patrol sheriffs" do you think the Alerus should have roaming the hallways during a football to make the facility safe?  5, 10, 20, 50, 100?

For safety i think 100 for every concourse patrolling the concourses in a grid pattern back and forth like your looking for a lost contact lense?  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

So how many "spill patrol sheriffs" do you think the Alerus should have roaming the hallways during a football to make the facility safe?  5, 10, 20, 50, 100?

For safety i think 100 for every concourse patrolling the concourses in a grid pattern back and forth like your looking for a lost contact lense?  

I said I was on your side with the Alerus example.  But when others tried to give examples such as the Kansas City incident, you lumped it into the same category as the Alerus incident.  I’m saying its not as black and white as you make it, in regards to people taking risk by entering private businesses.  They do so taking in some risk, such as not paying attention to a spill on the ground.  Not the business owners fault.  Walking on a sky walk that passed inspection, I would like to thing there’s a darn good chance that it’s not going to collapse.  Maybe not the business owners fault but somebody didn’t do their job correctly.

3 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

I said I was on your side with the Alerus example.  But when others tried to give examples such as the Kansas City incident, you lumped it into the same category as the Alerus incident.  I’m saying its not as black and white as you make it, in regards to people taking risk by entering private businesses.  They do so taking in some risk, such as not paying attention to a spill on the ground.  Not the business owners fault.  Walking on a sky walk that passed inspection, I would like to thing there’s a darn good chance that it’s not going to collapse.  Maybe not the business owners fault but somebody didn’t do their job correctly.

hindsight is 20/20 but if i was in the hotel in 1981 and i saw a skywalk 40 feet up hanging by what looks like the sprinkler system i would've taken the stairs.  

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

how do you propose to end all these stupid fake lawsuits?  if the city pays this anything more will call the lawyer on the demers billboard that say "have you bee injured call me"...

my buddy had to burn down his gma's old farmstead by park river bc he was afraid of a lawsuit from people stealing the old copper in the walls. that is stupid and weird that someone can break into his grandma's house and sue his grandma because they might get hurt stealing from his grandma.

i am also curious why you think there are "all these stupid fake lawsuits." that just isn't based in reality (in north dakota anyway. i can't speak to out of state).

also if there truly is a frivolous lawsuit, the person suing could have to pay attorney fees to the other side, which is a pretty good deterrent.

1 minute ago, UNDhoops said:

i am also curious why you think there are "all these stupid fake lawsuits." that just isn't based in reality (in north dakota anyway. i can't speak to out of state).

also if there truly is a frivolous lawsuit, the person suing could have to pay attorney fees to the other side, which is a pretty good deterrent.

i think the city of new york paid out 600 million in ten years just on people slipping on sidewalks?

600 MILLION

1 minute ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i think the city of new york paid out 600 million in ten years just on people slipping on sidewalks?

600 MILLION

well

1. feel free to show a link or some evidence

2. sounds like your beef should be with the city of new york and not the alerus or anything in ND or "all these fake lawsuits" in general

2 minutes ago, UNDhoops said:

well

1. feel free to show a link or some evidence

2. sounds like your beef should be with the city of new york and not the alerus or anything in ND or "all these fake lawsuits" in general

when the first lawsuit in NYC came thru I'm sure the city just said to pay and they will go away...opposite happens.."Hey Darrel did you hear that Dennis tripped and fell (because he has the coordination of a sloth) outside the grocery in the Bronx so he sued the city for 50K and they paid him."  So Darrel does the same and they pay and him and he tell John so he does the same and before you know it Al Sharpton's daughter is suing the city for tripping outside a forever 21...and ten years later.....600 MILLION dollars have been paid out.

If this gets anything from the alerus/gf city the next one is right around the corner for 100k.

In about 1995,someone slipped on an icy sidewalk in MN (really?), fell, and broke her arm. She sued and got $45,000 for “enstrangement of affection for 3 months.”  Doing some quick math for once weekly affection times 12 weeks divided into $45,000 that’s $3750 per affection. I went home and told my husband, based on our affection, I was worth $3 million.

in 1977 this 400# (and about 5’7”)  man who was 65 had some surgery and hemorrhaged. He sued and got $20,000 because he was impotent afterwards.

TRUE stories... I believe anything.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

This is certainly not the first type of slip and fall lawsuit that has ever occurred in this country and obviously won't be the last.  The Alerus Center and the City may have offered him a settlement that the man and his lawyer thought wasn't enough.  I am sure the Alerus will try again to reach a settlement before it goes to trial.  Should the Alerus be liable for ensuring the safety of the people in the building"  Sure.  But how much they are financially responsible for the rehabilitation of someone that got injured is what is being debated.  Most likely the result of this will be a settlement agreement that pays the man less than what he is asking for, but enough for him to drop the lawsuit.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2019 at 1:02 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

how do you propose to end all these stupid fake lawsuits?  if the city pays this anything more will call the lawyer on the demers billboard that say "have you bee injured call me"...

my buddy had to burn down his gma's old farmstead by park river bc he was afraid of a lawsuit from people stealing the old copper in the walls. that is stupid and weird that someone can break into his grandma's house and sue his grandma because they might get hurt stealing from his grandma.

In ND he is not liable for injuries to trespassers whether the land is posted or not. It states that in the century code.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

In ND he is not liable for injuries to trespassers whether the land is posted or not. It states that in the century code.

"afraid of a lawsuit" bc any good lawyer/politician can redefine the term "trespassers".

12 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

It’s cut and dry in the century code that the landowner is not liable. Would be dismissed before he would even need a lawyer.

explain to me how anwar al-awlaki was redefined (by a politician) as a terrorist instead of an american citizen who didn't deserve due process. seems like the us constitution would have more backbone than north dakota's century code?