SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

2 hours ago, northernraider said:

MTSU alum here. Surprised MTSU wasnt in the discussion. Murphy Center is outdated, much larger university, and no ice available in the 'boro. 

The MTSU A.D. is kinda of jackfruit, but that is a topic for another forum!

Vandy is nearly an hour away and MTSU is more, but traffic varies.

Because the City of Clarksville in proposing the rink, Austin Peay is the only viable school.  Don’t know what kind of mbb arena Austin Peay currently has.  Might need to be upgraded anyway.

Didn’t realize Clarksville is the 5th largest city in TN, with 200k in the county.

Meybe Murphreesboro  builds their own civic center.

FGCU has a very suitable rink. 5 minutes from campus...3 sheets of ice...The Everblades of the ECHL draw pretty well, especially in season(After Thanksgiving). They already field 2 ACHA teams and have been very successful at that level...have been to several ECHL games and with the weather you are a lot of tailgating leading up to games. They did a study awhile back on adding football and decided not to. Nice campus to recruit to.

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

FGCU has a very suitable rink. 5 minutes from campus...3 sheets of ice...The Everblades of the ECHL draw pretty well, especially in season(After Thanksgiving). They already field 2 ACHA teams and have been very successful at that level...have been to several ECHL games and with the weather you are a lot of tailgating leading up to games. They did a study awhile back on adding football and decided not to. Nice campus to recruit to.

Member Tampa???  :blush:

I think Florida is ready for college hockey.  The Lightning have people excited about hockey, and I think it would be easy to recruit kids to the state.

7 hours ago, petey23 said:

FGCU considered adding hockey when they first moved to DI, as they needed 14 sports to qualify.  But FGCU is quite a bit bigger now and is projected to grow massively.  UAH hockey was susceptible to cutting at the time with the CHA situation (and it was cut later), but now it looks like its very safe.

Think UAH joins to ASUN in a few years, where FGCU is now, as spending tens of millions on a multipurpose arena shows a big commitment not only to hockey, but college sports.  Alabama A&M just doesn’t meet Huntsvile’s Desire for college sports..  At least UAH would have a conference ally in FGCU, maybe Liberty too.

Looks like Illinois May be taking the plunge.  This was posted on USCHO fan forum today:

@JoeMeloni: Per a Big Ten source, the conference recently instructed teams not to schedule non-conference games for the 2021-22 season and beyond, likely to allow the league time to figure out its new conference format with the Illinois announcement coming later this month

26 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Looks like Illinois May be taking the plunge.  This was posted on USCHO fan forum today:

@JoeMeloni: Per a Big Ten source, the conference recently instructed teams not to schedule non-conference games for the 2021-22 season and beyond, likely to allow the league time to figure out its new conference format with the Illinois announcement coming later this month

He updated the wording:

On 2/19/2015 at 2:43 AM, SiouxVolley said:

Notre Dame would never join the same conference with a school like Michigan and other blue-bloods like Illinois.

The search function on this website is fantastic.  Once again, you completely missed the boat about Notre Dame to the B10.

On 1/18/2018 at 3:27 AM, SiouxVolley said:

A  MAC-Horizon bus league is inevitable.  Oakland, Toledo, Illinois St, and Buffalo are just a matter of time.  Bowling Green badly wants out of the WCHA.  The pieces are just about there.

Still waiting for those 4 schools to announce...

30 minutes ago, northernraider said:

How much room is there for growth in college hockey?

I am for more competition, but eventually there will be a saturation point as there just are not enough players to go around to be a competitive team. 

I think you'd have to have about 10-15 new programs to make a dent in the talent pool, which is getting bigger and better all the time.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

The search function on this website is fantastic.  Once again, you completely missed the boat about Notre Dame to the B10.

Still waiting for those 4 schools to announce...

Notre Dame won't be part of the Big Ten comprehensively.  You can't understand always.

You have zero patience.  It will take more effort.

3 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

So which team is going to hire Hak. I’m sure he is at the top of the list but can a startup afford him?

UNLV maybe? 

I’ve talk to some Arizona State fans that would love to have him as the coach. 

4 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

Actually, it's the opposite.  The talent pool is extremely deep.  Currently, there are not enough D1 spots for the depth of talent that is out there.  Legit D1 players are getting shuffled down into D3 and even ACHA D1.  I agree with the other poster that there could be 10-15 programs added and it wouldn't negatively impact the quality of play.

Also agree. Like your enthusiasm!

I would love to see the Coyotes on the ice!
Gather up your Yote friends for a fund raiser. 
Then, make ice under a roof, hire a coach, recruit, gather some sticks/skates/pads/pucks, & watch the action.

• Upvote 1

On 5/6/2019 at 10:53 AM, Sioux>Bison said:

So which team is going to hire Hak. I’m sure he is at the top of the list but can a startup afford him?

I'm sure he has recieved several calls. Despite what philly fans and press think he did fairly well there. I personally think he's avoiding long term contracts to see what happens to Berry next year. 

On 5/6/2019 at 5:50 PM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Also agree. Like your enthusiasm!

I would love to see the Coyotes on the ice!
Gather up your Yote friends for a fund raiser. 
Then, make ice under a roof, hire a coach, recruit, gather some sticks/skates/pads/pucks, & watch the action.

I like the possibilities of having a coyote hockey team!

17 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

I'm sure he has recieved several calls. Despite what philly fans and press think he did fairly well there. I personally think he's avoiding long term contracts to see what happens to Berry next year. 

Hak isn't coming back to UND. That ship has sailed. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/7/2019 at 9:06 PM, Rebel_Sioux said:

No.

• Upvote 1

The situations in which hak returns to coach UND are minute and well off into the future. Think a return after a long and cup producing NHL tenure, a coming home to retire type situation.

Hak is not going to replace or displace Berry or Jackson for that matter.

My top two wants for the next coach ... if BB is moved or moves on... neither will ever be back at UND. 

• 3 weeks later...

The college hockey scene in Arizona keeps growing.  This piece predicts that Arizona State will be a perennial hockey power in the near future when it gets its own arena.

https://azbigmedia.com/led-by-asu-collegiate-hockey-flexes-its-muscle-in-arizona/

But even the ACHA DI keeps growing, by 20% next year.  GCU moved up and a new league centered on Illinois, with N Illinois and Illinois St, is starting.

The NCHC needs to add Ariz St and perhaps St Thomas to get back in the cities in a couple years.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Illinois’s AD talks about a future hockey team:  https://247sports.com/college/illinois/Article/Illinois-Fighting-Illini-hockey-Josh-Whitman-big-questions-remain-132974025/

The original plan was to rent the proposed downtown Champaign arena as it will also be used for wrestling, volleyball, and M&W gymnastics.  But now UI plans to own that building, which has caused delays.  If it’s not delayed further they can have a hockey team by 2022.

UI doesn’t plan to offer women’s hockey, but either women’s lax or women’s field hockey.