SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

47 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I’m quite familiar with Auburn Hills and its proximity to Oakland U.  This was all a pie-in-the-sky dream, no matter how much you thought it was bound to happen.

Never thought the Palace was an absolute lock to be bought be Oakland U.  But hockey will find a way to be a sport at Oakland U.

Your a horrible mind reader, even though you think you’re clairvoyant.

20 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Apparently, you thought erroneously that Oakland wanted 22,000 seats.  :lol:

They were looking at using the lower bowl and renovating the whole upper bowl complex and part of the parking lot for another college use.  The Palace is close to OU.

The whole Seattle Key Center renovation will cost $900 million.

The current price tag to renovate Key Arena (not the entire Seattle Center) is $900 million. It started out at $600 million and will jump over a billion by the time they are done.

18 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Never saw anything saying the Oakland University was going to buy The Palace at Auburn Hills to begin with.

You obviously don’t read the links:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/2018/10/26/oakland-university-negotiating-buy-palace-auburn-hills/1773767002/

The purchase was a pipe dream, as many follow on articles said.  But it shows the Oakland U admin was serious about obtaining anything usable for a college hockey rink and thereby serious about hockey.  The Detroit Red Wings want them to start varsity hockey, but their practice rinks are too small and too far away.

On 4/24/2019 at 7:34 AM, MafiaMan said:

Anyone with half a brain knew that this was a pipe dream from the get-go.

On 4/24/2019 at 9:53 PM, MafiaMan said:

This was all a pie-in-the-sky dream, no matter how much you thought it was bound to happen.

On 4/24/2019 at 10:29 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Never thought the Palace was an absolute lock to be bought be Oakland U. 

17 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

When you lose an argument, you always resort to being the grammar, spelling and typo Nazi.  :D

Wait, I said it was a pipe dream all along,  but I “lost” the argument?  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Wait, I said it was a pipe dream all along,  but I “lost” the argument?  

Stating that Oakland U is very interested in hockey and will start it and Oakland U will purchase the Palace are very difference arguments that you jammed together for no reason.  Number #1 doesn’t require #2.

Stick to grammar, typos, and misspellings as your logic centers.

9 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Stating that Oakland U is very interested in hockey and will start it and Oakland U will purchase the Palace are very difference arguments that you jammed together for no reason.  Number #1 doesn’t require #2.

The pipe dream was buying The Palace.  You still don’t get it.  Now, move along to football and try convincing us that St Thomas will be a member of the SEC by 2022.

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Aren't typos and misspellings essentially the same thing? :) #Mafia

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

It’s rather telling that you didn’t know Oakland U was chosen by the NHL for a feasibility study but yet you pawn yourself off as a hockey writer.

I could give a flying f what you think. With that said they completed a study and haven’t moved forward. 

https://oaklandpostonline.com/22414/sports/hockey-feasibility-study-shows-oakland-pass-with-flying-colors/

Pretty telling piece of information here. — But before a hockey program can be pursued, Oakland has funding issues in addition to replacing Konya.

As mentioned earlier, Konya abruptly stepped down from his position of director of Athletics in January. In his absence, Padraic McMeel has been named interim athletics director.

1 hour ago, Goon said:

I could give a flying f what you think. With that said they completed a study and haven’t moved forward. 

https://oaklandpostonline.com/22414/sports/hockey-feasibility-study-shows-oakland-pass-with-flying-colors/

Pretty telling piece of information here. — But before a hockey program can be pursued, Oakland has funding issues in addition to replacing Konya.

As mentioned earlier, Konya abruptly stepped down from his position of director of Athletics in January. In his absence, Padraic McMeel has been named interim athletics director.

So you are incompetent but won’t admit it.

Oakland was just trying to get a fire sale price on a piece of property that otherwise would be expensive to demolish and would provide an arena to boot.   That never sunk into your thick skull.  But a developer stepped in and gave a reasonable price.  Happens all the time.

Looks like Clarksville, TN is teaming up with the Nashville Predators and Austin Peay State University (APSU) to build a downtown event center that includes ice.  I'm a UND alumni currently working at APSU.  We are a small institution strapped for cash.  However, downtown Clarksville is literally across the street from campus (not even a mile), so I can't help but think there might be some interest in the sport (hockey is extremely popular in Nashville right now and the state doesn't have a college D1, D2, or D3 team to pull for).  Regardless of what happens, it'll be nice to see hockey grow in this area!

https://eu.theleafchronicle.com/story/news/local/clarksville/2019/04/25/clarksville-event-center-6-things-know-plan/3555012002/

9 hours ago, IrishSiouxFan said:

Looks like Clarksville, TN is teaming up with the Nashville Predators and Austin Peay State University (APSU) to build a downtown event center that includes ice.  I'm a UND alumni currently working at APSU.  We are a small institution strapped for cash.  However, downtown Clarksville is literally across the street from campus (not even a mile), so I can't help but think there might be some interest in the sport (hockey is extremely popular in Nashville right now and the state doesn't have a college D1, D2, or D3 team to pull for).  Regardless of what happens, it'll be nice to see hockey grow in this area!

https://eu.theleafchronicle.com/story/news/local/clarksville/2019/04/25/clarksville-event-center-6-things-know-plan/3555012002/

Maybe a USHL team.

Austin Peay dropped down to non scholarship FCS before reinstating scholarship FCS last decade.  APSU isn't exactly flush.  Would have thought Vandy or MTSU would have been more apt to start hockey as those areas are more wealthy.

But would like a team that's cheer is:  "Let's go Peay".

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Austin Peay dropped down to non scholarship FCS before reinstating scholarship FCS last decade.  APSU isn't exactly flush.  Would have thought Vandy or MTSU would have been more apt to start hockey as those areas are more wealthy.

If the Peay PP's PPG were better than UND's, I would be so pissed.

4 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

MTSU alum here. Surprised MTSU wasnt in the discussion. Murphy Center is outdated, much larger university, and no ice available in the 'boro. 

The MTSU A.D. is kinda of jackfruit, but that is a topic for another forum!