SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

@bale31

First off, excellent use of the word “ergo.”

Secondly, to point number 4, I agree that Mankato has established itself as a player in the college hockey universe and would be a great fit in the NCHC.  I miss those yearly road trips down 169 to see Mettl, er, hockey.

Lastly, could not agree more with point number 5.  College hockey tossed away decades of history in the name of fortune.  Change was inevitable, but the WCHA Final Five as we knew it was the greatest show on ice.  I still miss it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The reality of the budget crisis in Alaskan athletics is growing. 

There really may be no way to save those programs no matter what conference they play in or are a part of.

This is just the helthy herd gently but firmly pushing their diseased bodies off the cliff instead of waiting for it to happen.

Alaska University system hockey is not viable at this time, or for the forseeable future.

By grouping back into a CCHA... and this will be the CCHA. These schools take control back from what has been a dumpster fire of an organizing body in the WCHA administration.

5 years from now I see the WCHA ... with all its regal history..... dormant or

the equivelent of college hockey homeless shelter.

None of the potential future expansion of hockey in the west will provide a suitable home for the alaska school.

4 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

@bale31

First off, excellent use of the word “ergo.”

Secondly, to point number 4, I agree that Mankato has established itself as a player in the college hockey universe and would be a great fit in the NCHC.  I miss those yearly road trips down 169 to see Mettl, er, hockey.

Lastly, could not agree more with point number 5.  College hockey tossed away decades of history in the name of fortune.  Change was inevitable, but the WCHA Final Five as we knew it was the greatest show on ice.  I still miss it.

trip down 169 with 30 mph winds with zero visibilty instead of an allgient flight and 85 and sunny for two nights of hockey in the valley of the sun?

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

trip down 169 with 30 mph winds with zero visibilty instead of an allgient flight and 85 and sunny for two nights of hockey in the valley of the sun?

Well, not all of us make %gobc-type money, so we have to budget our trips accordingly.  

25 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

can anyone tell me why we choose to "showcase" U of M on our new scoreboard when our biggest conference rival is saint cloud state university....seems like a hint of something?

Since the next home game that counts is against Canisius College, you’d think they’d put the Golden Griffins logo up there.

#paybackseries

#blackjerseyweekend

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

maybe 5 years ago...remember it's called the NATIONAL collegiate hockey conference....not the "we take you because we know you conference of 1998"

Because when i think of the top programs of 1998, Western Michigan comes to mind, right?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Not sure what your getting at..ASU has a huuuuger upside going FORWARD than Mankato will ever dream of.

You think the Sun Devils will slum it with the Colorado Colleges, St Cloud States, and North Dakotas of the college hockey world for long?

2 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

You think the Sun Devils will slum it with the Colorado Colleges, St Cloud States, and North Dakotas of the college hockey world for long?

I mean, considering their options the NCHC is really their most favorable scenario for at least 10 years...yes

• Like 2

I should add that while I'm excited to see these 6 or 7 (I'm not sold on MSU) teams form a stronger conference, I don't really see this as a win for college hockey as a whole unless one of several unlikely things happen:

1. ASU and MSU join NCHC, the other 6 teams back out without MSU

2. ASU and 2 other teams join the WCHA to keep it afloat. 

3. The Alaska schools merge to form 1 join team (not sure if this is allowed) or one school ends their hockey program. Remaining school joins new CCHA. 

4. UAH was likely excluded because of the travel cost and because they are a drain on the out of conference ranking. Their only viable path, that I see, is to join Atlantic Hockey if the WCHA folds.

32 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

you think the fighting hawks will slum it with the colorado colleges, st cloud states, and UM-Duluth bulldawgs of the college hockey world for long?

3 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

you think the fighting hawks will slum it with the colorado colleges, st cloud states, and UM-Duluth bulldawgs of the college hockey world for long?

Why wouldn’t they? They are “like-minded” institutions committed to college hockey. More than Arizona State will likely ever be.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Well, since all of those schools are big-name universities known mainly for their FBS football teams...no, wait, they’re not.  I give up, what schools SHOULD North Dakota be identified with?