SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

25 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

lots of empty seats...

I agree with the empty seats there is a new normal. With college hockey. Dominant teams will mot be dominant year in and year outs. 

Attendace at home UND games may have peaked.  New normal 

should add that UND has the support to sellout home games if they produce 

36 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

why didn't KEM put a "like minded" institution on her new big screen if we are so happy and proud to be in the nchc?

should've put the scsu logo up?

You read it here first, folks! UND is leaving the NCHC. This is as big of an indicator as you can get! 

2 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

I should add that while I'm excited to see these 6 or 7 (I'm not sold on MSU) teams form a stronger conference, I don't really see this as a win for college hockey as a whole unless one of several unlikely things happen:

1. ASU and MSU join NCHC, the other 6 teams back out without MSU

2. ASU and 2 other teams join the WCHA to keep it afloat. 

3. The Alaska schools merge to form 1 join team (not sure if this is allowed) or one school ends their hockey program. Remaining school joins new CCHA. 

4. UAH was likely excluded because of the travel cost and because they are a drain on the out of conference ranking. Their only viable path, that I see, is to join Atlantic Hockey if the WCHA folds.

How about this as an option....UAA and/or UAF joining the Canadian college ranks? There’s been talk of Canadian schools joining the NCAA, why not the opposite? They could play the likes of Simon Frazier, University of BC, etc. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

maybe 5 years ago...remember it's called the NATIONAL collegiate hockey conference....not the "we take you because we know you conference of 1998"

Mankato is a better program than Arizona State with a much better arena as well and fits very well with the rest of the conference.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Godsmack said:

How about this as an option....UAA and/or UAF joining the Canadian college ranks? There’s been talk of Canadian schools joining the NCAA, why not the opposite? They could play the likes of Simon Frazier, University of BC, etc. 

doesn't EWU's club program play against CIS teams? 

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i less than five years asu will either be an affiliate with the big10 or full member of the nchc and have a stadium much newer, nicer, and bigger than msu

Illinois is going to have a team in the near future and they want an even number so ASU is probably going to be in NCHC. Otherwise they will have to join the new CCHA or the WCHA until more PAC teams make teams.

That being said, MSU is a better fit in the NCHC then some of our existing members. I say we should take ASU and MSU but that's just me. 

18 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

Illinois is going to have a team in the near future and they want an even number so ASU is probably going to be in NCHC. Otherwise they will have to join the new CCHA or the WCHA until more PAC teams make teams.

That being said, MSU is a better fit in the NCHC then some of our existing members. I say we should take ASU and MSU but that's just me. 

I say the NCHC is just fine the way it is and shouldn’t add anyone. The conference/non-conference schedule is a great set up currently. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Goon said:

doesn't EWU's club program play against CIS teams? 

They used to play against Canadian teams.

Eagles" is the name of the sports teams from Eastern Washington University (EWU), located in Cheney, WA, USA. EWU is in the British Columbia Intercollegiate Hockey League (BCIHL). They entered the league in 2011-12. They also have a club team in the American Collegiate Hockey Association (ACHA).

In other sports, EWU is in the Big Sky Conference of the NCAA. They are the lone American university/college team to play in a Canadian league.

On May 24, 2018 the BCIHL announced that the school had withdrawn from the conference.  The program would be absorbed into the school's ACHA Division 2 junior varsity team and will compete against more regional opponents.[1]

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, dustnyou said:

I say the NCHC is just fine the way it is and shouldn’t add anyone. The conference/non-conference schedule is a great set up currently. 

i agree, the NCHC should focus on the eight members in the conference. 

You can rule out the NCHC. This past spring, NCHC Commissioner Josh Fenton said, “We haven’t had a ton of discussion about the current membership makeup or even expansion into new members down the road. I think the focus has been on the eight member institutions and with all the sincerity that I can answer this question, and that continues to be the focus, and I don’t know that I see that changing anytime soon.”

As an outsider looking in on the Alaska situation:

When Anchorage announced the move back on campus, I felt things didn't look good. The press release said financial challenges made it necessary, but then in the next paragraph they announced that they would work to upgrade the on campus rink from 750 to the WCHA standard of 2500. That to me sounds like some serious cash (and time looking at pictures of the arena) would be needed and I personally felt they probably were on death's doorstep.....

Fairbanks also plays in a City Run arena, but their ice plant is crapping out and the City did not know if they will have the funds to replace it. They also announced that they could move back on campus, if needed, to a 1250 seat arena that would have been needed to be upgraded to WCHA standards. This one didn't strike me as a severe situation as did Anchorage's.

It was mentioned over on USCHO that Alaska's governor announced budget plans and it included the University of Alaska system to cut $135 million. That is a HUGE cut.  This is the second consecutive budget cycle that the Seawolves and Nanooks have been put on perceived life support.

Huntsville is in the process of creating a huge University development area that would house an on-campus arena that hockey would play in (also be used by volleyball and basketball). The only thing standing in the way is the Alabama Board of Trustees funding, but as Huntsville has seen in the past, if it doesn't say Crimson Tide Football on it, it is almost dead on arrival. This is probably the furthest any of their plans have made it.

As someone stated over on USCHO, this could be a shot across the bow of these three schools by the other teams, "Step Up or You Are Out". 

As for an eighth team if nothing comes from UAH/UAA/UAF, I see St. Thomas in the Cities being a huge target.  Gives the new league a presence in the Twin Cities media market, albeit behind the Goofers, but St. Thomas does seem to have a very large following in the Twin Cities area.   It also would give Bemidji and Mankato another local series to help even out the travel to Michigan and Ohio.  The only question mark would be an arena for them as they currently play out at St. Thomas Academy, which I believe I read seats 1200.  I don't see ASU being interested in a league of six D-II schools and one D-I school.  

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

USCHO just released a podcast about the announcement, and in it they said Navy is working to form a team and join AHA.  Navy flirted with the idea before (hosting the Frozen Four in 09) but I don't think they would mention it if they thought Navy was crying "wolf".

That's pretty cool.  The shell of their arena is pretty huge... guessing it could be renovated to add sufficient seating.  The arenas for Army and Air Force aren't very big either, and I think they could make this building work in Atlantic hockey.

Image result for navy mcmullen hockey arenaImage result for navy mcmullen hockey arena