SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2014-15 season

Frozen4sioux

You could put one of these (*) by Pelnik as well.

Agree, I'm not real sure any of Pelnik, Rowe, or Voltin ever get to UND. I also wouldn't be surprised if the coaches are looking at some older USHL type forwards who may be available to add for next Fall.

Under the assumption that Poolman, Olson, Simonson, Johnson, and Schmaltz are coming in:

The oldest (known) guys in the recruiting pipeline in order are:

Chartrand (D), Rowe*, Pelnik (D), Yon, Voltin*, Poganski, Gardner

Those guys will all be 18.5 years old or older on Aug 1, 2014. That's where my crazy "leave 22 at forward, bring in Chartrand" idea started.

What also catches my eye is Yon's age.

*Are those two really still coming in?

Yon is in no way ready.

Absolutely needs the USHL time.

I've never seen him play, but as an internet scout I did notice that Rowe began scoring pretty regularly near the end of the USHL season.

He started the season w the Force...nuf said.

Find an older player somewhere. They're out there. Big pool out there. Do the right thing, coaches.

That's what I was thinking. If they do it will probably be a SJHL kind of guy. Lots of older point per game guys there.

If Rocco could have told Hak a few weeks earlier they could have made an offer to gage hough (or whatever his last name is). He would have provided some depth.

I'm guessing Hak had a pretty good idea what Rocco was going to do. Rocco's decision, so no one can be certain, but . . . .

That's what I was thinking. If they do it will probably be a SJHL kind of guy. Lots of older point per game guys there.

You mean like Sanderson? Is a points per game guy in the SJHL any better than a Jack Rowe who was scoring late in the year in the USHL? Not meant to be a contrarian response, just asking. I am sure there are diamonds in the rough out there, but sometimes their numbers don't indicate if they'll make the transition any better than a younger player with more upside. Definitely don't want to throw scholarship money around just to fill a spot in the short term.

You mean like Sanderson? Is a points per game guy in the SJHL any better than a Jack Rowe who was scoring late in the year in the USHL? Not meant to be a contrarian response, just asking. I am sure there are diamonds in the rough out there, but sometimes their numbers don't indicate if they'll make the transition any better than a younger player with more upside. Definitely don't want to throw scholarship money around just to fill a spot in the short term.

I agree with you, it seems like those One off Canadian junior leagues are pretty risky. Personally I like players who have went through a USHL season....as that league is even much better than the BCHL (which is the top Canadian junior league).

I think they could always give more money to guys on the roster and incoming freshman and use whatever's left over, if any for a guy that might be a decent role player. Obviously if we can find a guy that can push for time do that but I'm not a fan of Rowe right now. If he had a consistent year I would like that more but I think he needs alittle more time. We probably can't replace Rocco this late in the recruiting year and if Gersich can't come in why not bring a guy who only is going to come in a do work. Learn from Pattyn on how to throw your body and do anything that needs to be done to win.

I agree with you, it seems like those One off Canadian junior leagues are pretty risky. Personally I like players who have went through a USHL season....as that league is even much better than the BCHL (which is the top Canadian junior league).

Agreed.

I think they could always give more money to guys on the roster and incoming freshman and use whatever's left over, if any for a guy that might be a decent role player. Obviously if we can find a guy that can push for time do that but I'm not a fan of Rowe right now. If he had a consistent year I would like that more but I think he needs alittle more time. We probably can't replace Rocco this late in the recruiting year and if Gersich can't come in why not bring a guy who only is going to come in a do work. Learn from Pattyn on how to throw your body and do anything that needs to be done to win.

I can't say if I'm a fan of Rowe or not, I haven't seen him play. I am only saying if there aren't any late bloomers left that you think can add something decent to the team, I would rather bring in somebody that verballed to you to fill a depth position. Don't like having too many guys that don't work out, because other schools will use that against you if they can when recruiting younger players. Many have written Rowe off because of his numbers, but many have expressed that numbers from different leagues don't translate well. I don't know how the coaches feel about Rowe, but we also don't know if he is a low scholarship guy because of his local ties.

Probably naming them early makes for organized and purposeful off-season workouts.........led by the captains.

Correct, sounded like right after the Frozen Four was over, UND was moving forward and looking to build on last years success. Hak kind of said that the last presser.

Probably naming them early makes for organized and purposeful off-season workouts.........led by the captains.

With pretty much the same team coming back (with just a few personnel losses) I'd say it's safe to assume the players already know who the leaders are. No need to delay a formality here. Just my 2 cents.

The General will have a similar impact as captain as Mario did a few years back. I love the selection!

I agree! Leads by example. I also like the Alternate captain selections! Curious though, no D men are captains. Is that common?