SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2014-15 season

Frozen4sioux

Tomorrow is hump day. The 89th day of 177 days without UND hockey this summer. Thank God!

In the whole grand scheme of things, Ducktober and UND Hockey season is just around the corner. Once you get to July 4th, you're half way home.

• Upvote 1

I liked the article in J. Schmaltz. I think he is going to have a phenomenal year. In that article (posted on Goon's site) Armstrong noted he is still a long ways away from being a pro...does that mean there is a chance he could come back for his senior year? I doubt it :)

I liked the article in J. Schmaltz. I think he is going to have a phenomenal year. In that article (posted on Goon's site) Armstrong noted he is still a long ways away from being a pro...does that mean there is a chance he could come back for his senior year? I doubt it :)

In case you haven't seen it. This kind of proves the point the NHL folks like Hakstol.

“It’s a great hockey program there, it’s a pressure school, and he’s succeeded there,” said Bill Armstrong, the Blues’ director of amateur scouting — who drafted Schmaltz and has watched him an estimated dozen times the past two seasons

I think it's highly dependent on his ability to stay healthy. If he stays healthy, I think it'll show.

I think that O'D is a very talented player and I think that he could have a breakout season this year.

I think that O'D is a very talented player and I think that he could have a breakout season this year.

agreed. he made huge strides last year and it seems to all be coming together for him as a player this summer. I like to hear his skating has gotten better as that's one thing i think he could improve.

agreed. he made huge strides last year and it seems to all be coming together for him as a player this summer. I like to hear his skating has gotten better as that's one thing i think he could improve.

Agreed.....and he does have one heck of a shot. If he comes in and is on top of his game (and can play a top 6 role well) that would be huge for this team.

Agreed.....and he does have one heck of a shot. If he comes in and is on top of his game (and can play a top 6 role well) that would be huge for this team.

So if OD proves to be a top 6 would you agree that the other 5 would be #s 9 16 15 8 and 27? That would provide for a very strong 3rd line.

So if OD proves to be a top 6 would you agree that the other 5 would be #s 9 16 15 8 and 27? That would provide for a very strong 3rd line.

I would like to see a line of Pattyn-St.Clair-Gaarder as a third line that can grind it out and be able to play against other teams top lines as a shut down line. I think we have missed having a solid experienced shut-down line recently that can eat up minutes against other teams top lines and conserve our top two scoring lines energy.

I think that makes sense...I'm hoping 27 can take another step forward. He had a nice middle of the year but drifted off towards the latter part of the year. Typical for a (true) freshman.

I would like to see a line of Pattyn-St.Clair-Gaarder as a third line that can grind it out and be able to play against other teams top lines as a shut down line. I think we have missed having a solid experienced shut-down line recently that can eat up minutes against other teams top lines and conserve our top two scoring lines energy.

I think Pattyn and Gaarder have to be together on that third line. I will be interesting to see who Hak puts with them. If Hak can roll 4 lines even strength that line makes sense....then I would like to see a young line in the 4th spot. Chyzk/Simonson/Poganski/Murphy/Olson/St. Clair are all fighting for one spots on the 3rd/4th lines. I still think there may be an opening on the second too.

I love seeing our guys getting mentioned during these camps.

Ditto. After his freshman season, I have been expecting Mark to explode. At times, he looks so good, the production simply hasn't been there (based on what is expected of thim). Without a doubt, I think he's a pt/gm guy this year (although I said the same thing last year :) ). I really like his play; hopefully he stays healthy this year.