SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2014-15 season

Frozen4sioux

They should all do one of those obstacle course races in the off season to prepare for these kind of situations!

Or learn how to use their ability to disappear for 60 minute stretches on Saturday nights.

OK, no Rocco. <shrug>

So we need another forward ... or two ... (meaning I'm wondering if Sanderson will be here in the fall).

Here's the crazy notion of the day: Leave Panzarella (D) at forward and bring in Chartrand (D) this fall. That puts the roster at 15F/8D/3G.

OK, no Rocco. <shrug>

So we need another forward ... or two ... (meaning I'm wondering if Sanderson will be here in the fall).

Here's the crazy notion of the day: Leave Panzarella (D) at forward and bring in Chartrand (D) this fall. That puts the roster at 15F/8D/3G.

That would be counting Sanderson correct? I think it really just depends on the type of role they see open. If it is a top 6 type then I would think it would be Gersich as long as he is on schedule because I believe he was excelling his schooling. If it is more of a bottom 6 grind type role I think you could see something like you said or you could see them adding an older USHL type player.

The way I see the forwards with the current roster is something like:

Chyzk/OD-MacMillan-Parks

Caggiula-Schmaltz-Johnson

Pattyn-Gaarder-Olson

Chyzk/OD-Simonson-St.Clair

Murphy, Sanderson, F/D Panzarella

Hopefully Murphy figures his game out, I really was thinking he would be a freshman contributor last year. I would put OD up top and have an all senior line. I like Olson on that pattyn line. I'm indifferent on that second line. Maybe chyzk instead of Johnson, depending on what he brings next year. Pattyn, Johnson and gaarder?

Hopefully Murphy figures his game out, I really was thinking he would be a freshman contributor last year. I would put OD up top and have an all senior line. I like Olson on that pattyn line. I'm indifferent on that second line. Maybe chyzk instead of Johnson, depending on what he brings next year. Pattyn, Johnson and gaarder?

The big surprise next season will be Simonson. He has a great work ethic already in his blood. And as an invited walk-on he came free.

How many shots is OD gonna get in 4 years to prove he is a top 6 guy? Square peg meet round hole.........

IMO OD played he best hockey last season when he wasn't in a top 6 role.

How many shots is OD gonna get in 4 years to prove he is a top 6 guy? Square peg meet round hole.........

IMO OD played he best hockey last season when he wasn't in a top 6 role.

Sure...he definitely wasn't my lock to be up there. I could see Hak starting him up there.

If they decide to bring Gersich in he would be the guy I would guess to get a pretty good shot at that top 6 spot.

I could be wrong but think gersich should play juniors for one more year. His numbers were pretty vanilla considering the team he played on. They put up huge numbers. It appears he may have had a third line role. Good skater though, he will be a top 6 player so he should work on his craft one more year. Adding a little muscle wouldn't hurt either.

I could be wrong but think gersich should play juniors for one more year. His numbers were pretty vanilla considering the team he played on. They put up huge numbers. It appears he may have had a third line role. Good skater though, he will be a top 6 player so he should work on his craft one more year. Adding a little muscle wouldn't hurt either.

From what I gather, Gersich played more of a defensive role at the NTDP this year. Third line, like you said. I'd prefer another year of juniors as well, but if he comes in the fall, I won't complain either. Always nice to add a guy with some speed.

Wade Murphy going to improve enough to figure in?

Yeah, would be great if he figures it out like Jeff McClean and Kevin McKinnon did after they left for a year and came back -- totally different players. Will have to call him McMurphy if he does.

I agree and kind of expect him to play a year of juniors I just think if he comes in that he will get a good shoot at that top 6 spot.

Under the assumption that Poolman, Olson, Simonson, Johnson, and Schmaltz are coming in:

The oldest (known) guys in the recruiting pipeline in order are:

Chartrand (D), Rowe*, Pelnik (D), Yon, Voltin*, Poganski, Gardner

Those guys will all be 18.5 years old or older on Aug 1, 2014. That's where my crazy "leave 22 at forward, bring in Chartrand" idea started.

What also catches my eye is Yon's age.

*Are those two really still coming in?