SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2014-15 season

Frozen4sioux

Everyone is talking around the real topic - what will it take to win number 8. If Union can do it ...

What do we have to do differently? - Where do we need to improve? What about that power play? Pretty good is getting old.

there has been one constant in the last ten years and that is hak...gwoz, eaves, sandelin, comley, york (3 times), parker, allain, and bennett all got it done in the last ten years...somehow they got past the usual excuses we throw around here like high-end talent decommits, hot goalies, injuries, or bad luck? And for people that say hak has won 70% of his games and has been to the frozne four x many times i would say that would be kind of expected with x many all americans, x many 1st or 2nd round draft picks, a pretty much unlimited budget, and oh yeah RALPH ENGELSTAD ARENA!?

there has been one constant in the last ten years and that is hak...gwoz, eaves, sandelin, comley, york (3 times), parker, allain, and bennett all got it done in the last ten years...somehow they got past the usual excuses we throw around here like high-end talent decommits, hot goalies, injuries, or bad luck? And for people that say hak has won 70% of his games and has been to the frozne four x many times i would say that would be kind of expected with x many all americans, x many 1st or 2nd round draft picks, a pretty much unlimited budget, and oh yeah RALPH ENGELSTAD ARENA!?

The one constant is that Hak hasn't had down years like all of the others have had (outside of maybe York). Sandelin wouldn't have had the opportunity to win a title at UND, he would have been fired well before that with the previous seasons he had before UMD won a title.

• Upvote 3

The one constant is that Hak hasn't had down years like all of the others have had (outside of maybe York). Sandelin wouldn't have had the opportunity to win a title at UND, he would have been fired well before that with the previous seasons he had before UMD won a title.

Some people always seem to use this when discussing Sandy vs. Hak. While it is true no coach would have lasted here with the early season records that Sandy had at UMD, Sandy also didn't have the same kinds of tools at his disposal that a coach has here. Prior to Amsoil, Sandy had to recruit players to the crappy DECC, etc. Meanwhile, Hak has had a very good facility to recruit players to. If Sandy had the same kind of facilities that Hak has, he probably wouldn't have had the crap seasons he had at UMD. You can't ignore that fact.

• Upvote 2

Some people always seem to use this when discussing Sandy vs. Hak. While it is true no coach would have lasted here with the early season records that Sandy had at UMD, Sandy also didn't have the same kinds of tools at his disposal that a coach has here. Prior to Amsoil, Sandy had to recruit players to the crappy DECC, etc. Meanwhile, Hak has had a very good facility to recruit players to. If Sandy had the same kind of facilities that Hak has, he probably wouldn't have had the crap seasons he had at UMD. You can't ignore that fact.

That's fine, but those who claim that those coaches that are better than Hak because they've won a title ignore the fact that those coaches have had stretches of losing prior to and after those titles that would not be acceptable here. And maybe Sandelin wouldn't have had down seasons, maybe he would of. Your basing your arguments off of a hypothetical, mine is based off of facts. Hak has never had a single season losing close to that let alone a stretch of it. I don't care what tools you have at your disposal, that is incredibly impressive. That doesn't mean anyone, myself or Hak included, should be satisfied, but it is absurd to think he should be fired.

Offseason...go figure. Is it me or are the gf police really cracking down the past 10-15 years. When I was in high school the und hockey team partied real hard....especially the Canadian guys. When police showed up at the hockey house they never got in trouble.

Don't know what happened (or even if this is true) yet. But if so, I hope it is not serious and that the athletic department takes swift action with a reasonable, yet sufficient punishment. Everyone will make mistakes, especially college boys, I just want the university to let it be known that we hold our players accountable for their actions... Unlike some other schools in our area.

What are you taking about "at chorney's house"?

Wasn't there a loud party complaint at one of the players house after they got back from a regional? I forget whose house it was. That's why I said I believe at chorneys house..

I am not sure whose place it was at but the cops got them. seems like they aim to get them.