SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2014-15 season

Frozen4sioux

I agree! Leads by example. I also like the Alternate captain selections! Curious though, no D men are captains. Is that common?

It hasn't happened since the year it was Kaip, Fabian, and I forget who else. But, while uncommon, it's also not common for the team to have such an entirely young defensive core, either.

It hasn't happened since the year it was Kaip, Fabian, and I forget who else. But, while uncommon, it's also not common for the team to have such an entirely young defensive core, either.

I believe it was actually the year prior to that when Porter wore the C and Fabian, Kaip and Toews wore the A's.

On Twitter, Trevor Olson stated that he has enrolled in summer classes at UND. Chris Wilkie replied, "cya there!"

Possible answer to who the coaches are bringing in this fall? Olson was always scheduled to come in, but there were questions about Wilkie.

Yeah we'll see. He may be getting a jumpstart on his schooling. I would be slightly shocked if he was the player they decided to bring in. However, I'm not sure whoelse they could bring (not knowing Gersich's school situation). I got on Wilkie early last year because his numbers were not impressive at all, then he went on tear towards the middle of the year. He finally cooled off towards the end of the year. I really do think another year of juniors would help him a lot.

You have to be careful with that. Do it wrong and you start your NCAA eligibility clock.

Recent article on Wilkie: http://www.theushlhockeyleague.com/news.php?news_id=2359

Trevor Olson took summer classes last year also and went back to juniors so Wilkie could be doing the same thing. You'd have to take quite a bit of classes to start the proverbial "clock." Summer school selection doesn't really allow a heavy load.

• 2 weeks later...

Question: I could've sworn UND was going to play a series this fall up in Vermont. However, I don't see the Catamounts on UND's non-conference schedule. Am I wrong? Can anyone let me know what happened? Thanks, Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Appears Fenton is meeting with CBS today. Hope he can move the chains in the right direction for the sake of tv viewership/availability.

Won't happen this year but Fenton is very aware of Faison's dislike of the exclusivity clause. Brian hasn't been shy about expressing how much it has hurt UND.

• Upvote 1

Won't happen this year but Fenton is very aware of Faison's dislike of the exclusivity clause. Brian hasn't been shy about expressing how much it has hurt UND.

I have inquired and the league can't get CBS to budge on the exclusivity deal. There's a chance that more NCHC games could be on a regional network like Fox Sports and Root Sports. I would be willing to bet in two years that exclusivity deal is not in the next TV deal.

Yeah I meant UND kids. I thought gersich would have made camp although I haven't seen him play. Thats just based on the fact that he was highly recruited and on the u18 team

I'm guessing he gets a look as well through the year being with the NTDP program and he has played in various international tourneys for USA. He's a November 96 and Schmaltz is a February 96 who will be a first round pick likely. Been a while since UND has had a forward like this to throw in the mix come October. He and his brother both have sick skill sets! Go sioux

Schlossman @SchlossmanGF · 3h

Tri City's camp roster essentially confirms what was anticipated: Austin Poganski coming to UND this year, Wilkie playing for the Storm.

@SchlossmanGF: UND recruit Shane Gersich to play for Omaha Lancers next season. Lancers took Gersich No. 1 in Futures Draft a couple years ago.

Parks-markmac-caggs

Johnson-schmaltz-chyzk

Odonnell-pattyn-gaarder (could be an interesting senior line vs younger teams, I'm optimistically thinking this line could put up more pts than were all thinking)

Poganski - Simonson - Olson (st Clair or Murphy could work their way on to this line, or the third if odonnell underperforms).

Schmaltz - Thompson

Mattson - ladue

Poolman - ausmus

(I honesty think it's between ausmus and stetcher depending on the type of team we play. Poolman is a clone of ladue, he can't be sat at least not right away based on what I've seen of him. The college game may throw him for a loop, who knows).

Parks-markmac-caggs

Johnson-schmaltz-chyzk

Odonnell-pattyn-gaarder (could be an interesting senior line vs younger teams, I'm optimistically thinking this line could put up more pts than were all thinking)

Poganski - Simonson - Olson (st Clair or Murphy could work their way on to this line, or the third if odonnell underperforms).

Schmaltz - Thompson

Mattson - ladue

Poolman - ausmus

(I honesty think it's between ausmus and stetcher depending on the type of team we play. Poolman is a clone of ladue, he can't be sat at least not right away based on what I've seen of him. The college game may throw him for a loop, who knows).

I'll give er a rip:

Caggiula macmillan parks

Pattyn schmaltz Johnson

Odonnell gaarder Poganski

Chyzyk st clair (fill in the blank)

Thompson schmaltz

Mattson ladue

Ausmus stecher

Poolman will find a spot.

I think we will see a similar Friday/Saturday rotation like we did this year with Thompson and Ausmus between Poolman and probably Ausmus while up front there should be a little more depth and hopefully guys pushing for playing time that we really didn't see a whole lot of this past season. Here is my early shot at some lines:

Johnson-MacMillan-Parks

Caggiula-Schmaltz-Poganski

Pattyn-Gaarder-Olson

OD/Chyz-Simonson-St.Clair

Thompson-Schmaltz

Mattson-LaDue

Ausmus/Poolman-Stecher

Ausmus/Poolman-OD/Chyz-Murphy-Panz-Sanderson

You guys seem to like Thompson up top with Schmaltz, similar to my initial guess. I thought Thompson looked so good at the end of the season, his first pass out of the zone is ridiculous (similar to Schmaltz's). In regards to my initial D profected lineup, the reason I was putting Ausmus over Stetcher was simply his size and the fact he is more defensive. He would be useful on the PK. Early in the season Stetcher showed some offensive flashes however we already have some highly offensive defensemen (Schmaltz, Mattson, Ladue....even Poolman who is more like Ladue in that they are both above average 2-way defensemen). On a side note, I also really like the size and mobility of that defensive core....could be scary if they click early.

As for SiouxScore's linup...I like that top 6. If Poganksi figures out the speed early that could work. Olson may be a nice fit there too. There were times last year when I thought Chyzk could be that underclassman who could be good his junior and senior years. We'll have to see. Also, Simonson may be able to flow up and down the lineup. He does have offensive skill; his shot is very good.