SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/10083164/zone-entry-nhl

I wasn't sure where to post this. This was where a lot of talk about dump and chase vs. carrying the puck in was being done so I figured I would post it here. It's a pretty good read for the more novice fans, like myself, and includes a study with some interesting numbers.

Good stuff...probably too well-written and factual for this thread though...;)

Can anyone who is a Sioux fan tell me why this thread exists?

Because the expectation here is national championships - his two predecessors won them at the rate of 1 every 5-6 years. We are approaching the longest championship drought in UND hockey history. We want to get it done and so far Hak has not. This isn't to say that he hasn't had sucess or had good teams - he just hasn't done what many expect from Sioux hockey.

• Upvote 2

Because the expectation here is national championships - his two predecessors won them at the rate of 1 every 5-6 years. We are approaching the longest championship drought in UND hockey history. We want to get it done and so far Hak has not. This isn't to say that he hasn't had sucess or had good teams - he just hasn't done what many expect from Sioux hockey.

Welcome to parity! TH was talking with someone about parity in college hockey last night. This talking head from ESPN said nowadays many teams are one shift one lucky beak from winning a championship. No team has more talent than others, like before did. ( don't say the Sioux have 15 draft choices either, they are predicted to be good, he was talking the caliper of moving on and making millions type players).

So your pipe dream of winning within 5-6 years is just that, a pipe dream. Thankfully UND doesn't handle their coaches the way some on ss.com wants to! We would be a mess!

Welcome to parity! TH was talking with someone about parity in college hockey last night. This talking head from ESPN said nowadays many teams are one shift one lucky beak from winning a championship. No team has more talent than others, like before did. ( don't say the Sioux have 15 draft choices either, they are predicted to be good, he was talking the caliper of moving on and making millions type players).

So your pipe dream of winning within 5-6 years is just that, a pipe dream. Thankfully UND doesn't handle their coaches the way some on ss.com wants to! We would be a mess!

Some pretty good observations, big. I think most of us agree that Hak is among the best as a program coach, and many probably agree that he is not up there with the best as a game coach. As a program coach, I dare say he is as good as York, though nobody is as good as York is at game coaching, especially at nut cutting time. I see it a little like wanting to fire a football coach because he is very good but not Bill Belichik or a quarterback because he is very good but not Peyton Manning. I have shown impatience with Hak's game coaching in the past, but he is still young, and I think he will grab the ring for the Sioux yet. Besides, I don't see York wanting to come to UND anytime soon.

Some pretty good observations, big. I think most of us agree that Hak is among the best as a program coach, and many probably agree that he is not up there with the best as a game coach. As a program coach, I dare say he is as good as York, though nobody is as good as York is at game coaching, especially at nut cutting time. I see it a little like wanting to fire a football coach because he is very good but not Bill Belichik or a quarterback because he is very good but not Peyton Manning. I have shown impatience with Hak's game coaching in the past, but he is still young, and I think he will grab the ring for the Sioux yet. Besides, I don't see York wanting to come to UND anytime soon.

I agree 100% he is an awesome recruiter and assembles a great team but not bring able to deviate from your game plan is not the sign of a great coach.( see having Finley out with Gerbe in Denver in the FF) People have complained about the dump and chase or three forwards below the redline or being able to break the trap , sometimes you have to adjust.

I agree 100% he is an awesome recruiter and assembles a great team but not bring able to deviate from your game plan is not the sign of a great coach.( see having Finley out with Gerbe in Denver in the FF) People have complained about the dump and chase or three forwards below the redline or being able to break the trap , sometimes you have to adjust.

I agree as well, he had been a great recruiter but some if his game plans as well as his ability to motivate his players has been somewhat lackin over the years. That said, he's going no where so get used to it. The boys looked ok last night against a garbage team. They need to drop 6 on them tonight. Let's get Zane the shutout.

Actually, by "program coach," I meant more than recruiting and assembling. He develops players well and has generally gotten them to buy into the team concept, something I think Eaves has struggled with, despite his one banner. Some have suggest his players haven't been motivated this year, but I disagree. They have played hard, but they have been reacting to play rather than controlling it, and that makes them a step late getting to where they need to be too much of the time. They aren't as good as they looked last night, because NM is not a highly skilled team, and they weren't as bad as they looked in some of the games previous because some of that competition was ahead of UND in skill and experience--and goaltending.

They can still get into the dance, and you never know who gets to go home with the babe. If nobody departs early after this year, the acid test will be next year, with what looks to be a potentially talent-laden team.

Blais would have won by 7...scored a goal and recorded an assist...helped an old gramma up the stairs during the 2nd period intermission...and rescued a freezing puppy he found in the parking lot after the game.......fire HAK!!!!!!! ;)

I fixed your post to paint a more realistic picture...

I agree as well, he had been a great recruiter but some if his game plans as well as his ability to motivate his players has been somewhat lackin over the years. That said, he's going no where so get used to it. The boys looked ok last night against a garbage team. They need to drop 6 on them tonight. Let's get Zane the shutout.

I know you are being a little tongue in cheek, but there aren't a whole lot of garbage hockey teams out there that aren't able to pull out a win here or there. If Northern would have pulled out a sweep from us this weekend, they would have had a better record than UND. Also, not many teams that you can drop 6 on anymore, because even the less talented teams have good goaltending and the ability to play a defensive system that can at least keep them competitive for parts of the game. Would be interesting to see the percentages on scoring 6 or better goals in a game.

In all honesty the win streak isn't against the greatest of competition. It is a step in the right direction though.

Exactly. At least they're beating the teams they're "supposed to beat." Plus, they got wins on the road which isn't easy.

Actually, by "program coach," I meant more than recruiting and assembling. He develops players well and has generally gotten them to buy into the team concept, something I think Eaves has struggled with, despite his one banner. Some have suggest his players haven't been motivated this year, but I disagree. They have played hard, but they have been reacting to play rather than controlling it, and that makes them a step late getting to where they need to be too much of the time. They aren't as good as they looked last night, because NM is not a highly skilled team, and they weren't as bad as they looked in some of the games previous because some of that competition was ahead of UND in skill and experience--and goaltending.

They can still get into the dance, and you never know who gets to go home with the babe. If nobody departs early after this year, the acid test will be next year, with what looks to be a potentially talent-laden team.

No there motivation has been lacking for two years now.

I know you are being a little tongue in cheek, but there aren't a whole lot of garbage hockey teams out there that aren't able to pull out a win here or there. If Northern would have pulled out a sweep from us this weekend, they would have had a better record than UND. Also, not many teams that you can drop 6 on anymore, because even the less talented teams have good goaltending and the ability to play a defensive system that can at least keep them competitive for parts of the game. Would be interesting to see the percentages on scoring 6 or better goals in a game.

6 was just a number I threw out there. What I meant was I would finally like them to play 60 minutes and beat teams line UM, BC, ND and other teams do. Yes I fully understand the parity in college, but once in a while our team (comprised of 15 draft picks) should be able to beat up on some lower tier schools. I didn't mean to get in this convo because we are on a 4 game win streak and I am pumped about that. Once the consistency comes and we get all our boys back I think we can hang with any team on the country, they simply need to go hard every game out.

Really? The fans don't have to "get used to" anything. If we backslide into being a perennial .500 program, the Athletic Department and REA will have to "get used to" not having home sellouts anymore. We've won four in a row, but I am still not sold on this team being a factor in the playoffs this year or next.

And please, everyone, enough references to Jerry "Freaking" York! :angry: I do not care what Jerry York and his program are or aren't doing; I care about THIS program. Period.

Really? The fans don't have to "get used to" anything. If we backslide into being a perennial .500 program, the Athletic Department and REA will have to "get used to" not having home sellouts anymore. We've won four in a row, but I am still not sold on this team being a factor in the playoffs this year or next.

And please, everyone, enough references to Jerry "Freaking" York! :angry: I do not care what Jerry York and his program are or aren't doing; I care about THIS program. Period.

York is part of the discussion just as Gwoz, Blasi and others are, because you don't replace Hakstol with a championship or a desire for one--you replace him with a coach with a name and a record and a reason to think he will produce something Hak hasn't. Wanting a championship is the easy part, and we are all good at the easy stuff.

:angry: I do not care what Jerry York and his program are or aren't doing; I care about THIS program. Period.

Call me a skeptic, but my hunch tells me that you would be the first poster commenting about what BC has done and what UND has not done should York notch another title next spring.

• Upvote 1