SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

Other marquee programs? Why not just look at this one UND? Dave Hakstol is setting a record at UND....he's working on the longest championship drought in UND history.

#buttparity

Conditions change within the game over the years, so you also need to compare other programs in the same time period. Things aren't the same at UND or in college hockey in 2013 as they were in 1959. How many national championships does Michigan have? When was their last title? Are people trying to get Red fired?

Conditions change within the game over the years, so you also need to compare other programs in the same time period. Things aren't the same at UND or in college hockey in 2013 as they were in 1959. How many national championships does Michigan have? When was their last title? Are people trying to get Red fired?

I'd say more are wanting him to retire, maybe he will at the end of his extension.

I'd say more are wanting him to retire, maybe he will at the end of his extension.

You might want to consider retiring at age 74 (his age as of December 8th). This is his 30th year as coach. He has won 2 national titles. He won the first time in his 12th year, then won a second in 3 years. He hasn't won for the last 15 years. They didn't even make the tournament last year. I'm surprised that Michigan fans aren't storming the arena trying to get rid of him based on some of the reaction around here.

Yeah that's what #buttparity meant. I knew the response before anyone responded.

#BClovesparity.

#daveHakstolmakinghistory

You might want to consider retiring at age 74 (his age as of December 8th). This is his 30th year as coach. He has won 2 national titles. He won the first time in his 12th year, then won a second in 3 years. He hasn't won for the last 15 years. They didn't even make the tournament last year. I'm surprised that Michigan fans aren't storming the arena trying to get rid of him based on some of the reaction around here.

The retirement talk started when Mel Pearson left for the Michigan Tech. I'm not a Michigan fan and don't really care what Red does, I'm just saying Michigan fans have brought up that he should retire.

I would even go as to say things aren't the same since 2000. there is more parity and some mock it but the playoff system is different as well. when blais won his two it took one win to get to the frozen four and there were 12 teams not 16 in the tournament. let's go back in time and in 1997 had und needed to get by michigan to make it to the frozen four how many on here would think that would have happened? instead all they needed was a win against cornell and off they went. and in 2000 they beat niagara to go to the frozen four. little easier routes then than today.

So are we saying UND will have a better chance to win a championship if less teams make the tournament this year? (and future years)?

Less teams in the tourney means easier to win a championship?

in some cases yes. having to win only three versus four I would say it is easier. how many titles has blais won under the current format?

this whole new ralph thing is stupid. under that assumption shouldn't the ralph just attract recruits itself without und even scouting players? would und even have to offer scholarships as recruits would be lined up to get them on a first come first serve basis and every other team in the country gets und's leftovers? how is it that a recruit would choose another university over und becuase of the ralph? are all these kids that choose to go to another univeristy over und just plain idiots becaue they choose to play subpar conditions?

Michigan has gotten more of the top talent almost every year during the past decade then any other school. They get more US Development team members than anyone else. They have the top rated recruiting class, or one of the top 3 at a minimum, almost every year. How has that worked for them?

• Upvote 1

this whole new ralph thing is stupid. under that assumption shouldn't the ralph just attract recruits itself without und even scouting players? would und even have to offer scholarships as recruits would be lined up to get them on a first come first serve basis and every other team in the country gets und's leftovers? how is it that a recruit would choose another university over und becuase of the ralph? are all these kids that choose to go to another univeristy over und just plain idiots becaue they choose to play subpar conditions?

Exactly, if facilities were the only draw Oregon would win every college football game until the end of time. Their locker room is crazy, damn thing has its own barber shop.

No one said it's the only draw, but the nicest arena AND 10000 great fans has to help.

I watched the Miami game in which they opened their new arena. They were so proud of what looked like the Scheels Arena in Fargo. It's a shell of the Ralph.

Its not idiotic or stupid to state plainly the facilities, fans and tradition are sold to guys being recruited. A UND coach who didn't use those things in recruiting would be idiotic or stupid.

• Upvote 3

No one said it's the only draw, but the nicest arena AND 10000 great fans has to help.

I watched the Miami game in which they opened their new arena. They were so proud of what looked like the Scheels Arena in Fargo. It's a shell of the Ralph.

Its not idiotic or stupid to state plainly the facilities, fans and tradition are sold to guys being recruited. A UND coach who didn't use those things in recruiting would be idiotic or stupid.

no one has ever said hak doesn't use it, but for people to constantly say we should have better players and have a won a title because of the ralph is stupid. does it help yes, but like someone said earlier facilities aren't the only reason recruits choose to attend a school. like I said earlier based on that logic und would have the top recruiting class every year and have all the top players every year, which we know isn't the case.

Even if Hak was to put up losing seasons the next couple years, he's not going anywhere before 2017 unless he chooses to. His salary would result in a much bigger buyout than the measly $175K that it took to fire Mussman. UND is well-off financially, but the $300,000+ per remaining year of his contract that would need to be paid will ensure that he is not let go before his contract expires.

I have plenty of problems with Hak and I believe his system and stubbornness have resulted in multiple playoff losses, however, I can also see that he has put a quality product on the ice every year. Complaining about Hak is fine, but calling for him to be fired seems a bit extreme when you look at the facts. Worst season = 24-15-4. Frozen 4 in 5/9 seasons. Won the Final Five 4/9 years.