SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

Berry has been a huge bust...no way around it.

Eades>>>>>Berry

When Eades left a guy left who bleeds green more than any coach that has ever been on a Sioux bench. I for one would love to see him be captain of the Sioux ship.

Eades isn't coming through that door.

IMO it was a huge mistake to push Eades out that door to begin with.

Its not coincidence that he has turned around that SF team and their attendance is up over 60% since he took over.

Last season was alarming for me. Least number of wins in Hak's tenure, no hardware, no Frozen Four, all while having 14 draftees, including two hobey baker candidates.

St Lawrence had two Hobey Baker candidates last year too. How'd that translate into post-season success for the Saints?

Last year's 'alarming' Sioux season was about 4 minutes short of a Frozen Four appearance before it all went to heck.

St Lawrence had two Hobey Baker candidates last year too. How'd that translate into post-season success for the Saints?

Last year's 'alarming' Sioux season was about 4 minutes short of a Frozen Four appearance before it all went to heck.

Yes, I've heard that about last year's St. Lawrence team. However, it's not apples-to-apples. SL did not have all those drafted players, nor is SL's program anywhere near the equivalent of UND's.

My point was that UND's program has been perceived to be headed in the wrong direction by many on these boards, me included, and last year was hard evidence that the "second half surge" is NOT always miraculously going to happen. Without a major "surge", this season is going to be nothing short of a disaster.

Yes, I've heard that about last year's St. Lawrence team. However, it's not apples-to-apples. SL did not have all those drafted players, nor is SL's program anywhere near the equivalent of UND's.

Yes, yes, yes, because recruiting NHL potential for tomorrow is a sure-fire guarantee of NCAA tournament success today. Just ask Yale.

How did Team USA manage to win the 1980 gold medal with that Eruzione slug and an NHL back-up goalie on the team? Throwing 14 NHL draft picks into the line-up is no sure-thing. How did Kentucky's vaunted freshman do last year in hoops? That's right...first-round tournament loss. Not in the NCAA's...the NIT.

I'm not in the "Fire Hak" camp but I am in the camp that believes Berry definitely wasn't an upgrade to Eades and that the dump and chase with the personal that Hak has and has recruited and has lined up to come in isn't and won't be a system that works.

I'm mean how many times can you ring it around the boards and not gain possession and have the puck come streaking back up the ice but yet UND kept doing it time and time again without any success...see last night's game. Oops...edit: See this season to date.

• Upvote 1

Matt Henderson...Jeff Panzer...David Hoogsteen...Brad DeFauw...Peter Armbrust...the only way players like that would get a look at REA today if they were 16 year old kids would be if they paid $5 and went on the tour.

Agreed. And that responsibility lies with one person.

To the Sandelin supporters, do you think he would have lasted 11 seasons in Grand Forks with his record? He would have been run out of town no later than year 8.

UND and UMD are 2 different programs. Of course he wouldn't of lasted in GF with his record at UMD. His record at UND obviously would be a hell of a lot better had he been coaching there for the last 11 seasons.

Agreed. And that responsibility lies with one person.

I disagree. It's an entire system at UND that values developing pro hockey players over NCAA success.

Minnesota had the same problem last year. Hard to focus on winning an NCAA tournament game when 5-6 guys are more worried about when pen to use when signing their pro contract five minutes after their season ends.

Maybe Sandelin would have had a better record with the talent that has gone through the program, seems to have done an ok job with what he has had.

December 2010: $80 million Amsoil Arena opens.

March 2011: UMD wins NCAA title.

Two years later, Bulldogs slog thru a 14-19-5 season.

• Upvote 1

To the Sandelin supporters, do you think he would have lasted 11 seasons in Grand Forks with his record? He would have been run out of town no later than year 8.

I'm not a big Sandelin guy but I would bet money that if he coached the talent that we had here the last ten years he wouldn't have a worse record than Hak...

I disagree. It's an entire system at UND that values developing pro hockey players over NCAA success.

Minnesota had the same problem last year. Hard to focus on winning an NCAA tournament game when 5-6 guys are more worried about when pen to use when signing their pro contract five minutes after their season ends.

But if that notion is true, wasn't that system in place when Gino and Blais were winning titles? Lots of pros during those years too.

So Duluth has the same tradition and history as UND, building a new building doesn't give you that. North Dakota has lots of advantages other programs wish they had.

How has history and tradition worked out for Notre Dame football since about 1988?

Yale hockey has a history of pride and tradition. A lack of titles doesn't make those meaningless.