SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

Call me a skeptic, but my hunch tells me that you would be the first poster commenting about what BC has done and what UND has not done should York notch another title next spring.

You are right, I would hold it up as an example of our continued failings in March and April. I just wish we would get off the schnide and start collecting NCAA title trophies instead of bridesmaid dresses. I get so sick and tired of hearing about Boston College this and Boston College that. That attention used to be focused on UND. That is what I want us to get back to.

End Rant.

• Upvote 2

The Mack Brown situation in Texas is very relevant to this discussion.

Expectations for Texas football: win a National Title and/or contend for one every year.

Expectations for UND hockey: win a national Title and/or contend for one every year.

Today Mack Brown is no longer the head football coach at Texas and it's noteworthy, as compared to Hak, Mack Brown won a National Title.

Sometimes Elite programs aren't satisfied with very good.

Expectations for Texas football: win a National Title and/or contend for one every year.

Expectations for UND hockey: win a national Title and/or contend for one every year.

Today Mack Brown is no longer the head football coach at Texas and it's noteworthy, as compared to Hak, Mack Brown won a National Title.

Texas hasn't been very good since 2009. A more apt comparison would be to Gino in the 90s.

• Upvote 1

Let me know when Hak has a sub .500 season. Mack Brown was still the head coach at Texas three years after his team finished 5-7. Mack's team then never lost fewer than 4 games for the next three years.

Absolutely nothing in common with the Texas situation and UND's situation.

• Upvote 2

Let me know when Hak has a sub .500 season. Mack Brown was still the head coach at Texas three years after his team finished 5-7. Mack's team then never lost fewer than 4 games for the next three years.

Absolutely nothing in common with the Texas situation and UND's situation.

Exactly. Nebraska football would be a much more appropriate comparison (though those calling for Hak's head aren't likely to bring it up). Frank Solich was the coach from '98-03, going 58-18 in that span. After a 9-3 season in 2003, he was canned. The AD at the time made some stupid statement about not letting Nebraska football settle for mediocrity.

And you know what happened next? After letting go of a winning coach (who just couldn't get 'the big one'), they hired big-name Bill Callahan who went 27-22 from '04-07 before getting sacked. His teams literally broke Nebraska records for sucking (worst defeat and 1st time losing 5 straight since 1958).

I used this exact same example last year but, given this thread, I think it warrants repeating. You can't assume that the coach who follows Hakstol will be better (or even as good)...even if you get a big name with a history of winning. I lived in Nebraska from '03-'07, and I never met a single Nebraska fan who didn't regret the decision to let go of Solich, though most of them had been calling for his head back in 2003.

• Upvote 2

Really? The fans don't have to "get used to" anything. If we backslide into being a perennial .500 program, the Athletic Department and REA will have to "get used to" not having home sellouts anymore. We've won four in a row, but I am still not sold on this team being a factor in the playoffs this year or next.

And please, everyone, enough references to Jerry "Freaking" York! :angry: I do not care what Jerry York and his program are or aren't doing; I care about THIS program. Period.

I get frustrated with certain things Hak does too however when has this program been a .500 team? What I meant is that you cannot fire a man that has his resume….unless the program takes a serious slide and that does not mean a losing season (or two). This team has a long way to come in winning a Natty this year however I somewhat like what I see. This team has had its ups and downs but they are a good team. There is not one player on this team that should leave (besides seniors) so I think we can build off this year. I seriously think we will be very dangerous next year.

Exactly. Nebraska football would be a much more appropriate comparison (though those calling for Hak's head aren't likely to bring it up). Frank Solich was the coach from '98-03, going 58-18 in that span. After a 9-3 season in 2003, he was canned. The AD at the time made some stupid statement about not letting Nebraska football settle for mediocrity.

And you know what happened next? After letting go of a winning coach (who just couldn't get 'the big one'), they hired big-name Bill Callahan who went 27-22 from '04-07 before getting sacked. His teams literally broke Nebraska records for sucking (worst defeat and 1st time losing 5 straight since 1958).

I used this exact same example last year but, given this thread, I think it warrants repeating. You can't assume that the coach who follows Hakstol will be better (or even as good)...even if you get a big name with a history of winning. I lived in Nebraska from '03-'07, and I never met a single Nebraska fan who didn't regret the decision to let go of Solich, though most of them had been calling for his head back in 2003.

I'm not sure what is more stunning...Nebraska letting Solich go or the fact that you were able to handle four years of living in that state!

I'm not sure what is more stunning...Nebraska letting Solich go or the fact that you were able to handle four years of living in that state!

It wasn't four years, MafiaMan. It was three years out of four. She took one year out on the east coast in the middle of that stretch. Still, if you need any good Nebraska jokes, Keikla has them. Just use them in Nebraska at your own risk.

I just wish we would get off the schnide and start collecting NCAA title trophies instead of bridesmaid dresses. I get so sick and tired of hearing about Boston College this and Boston College that. That attention used to be focused on UND. That is what I want us to get back to.

psssst: No matter what anyone thinks about Hakstol, this isn't about you.

That is a tough truth for us fans, it isn't always what we want. I hope I didn't burst your bubble.

psssst: No matter what anyone thinks about Hakstol, this isn't about you.

That is a tough truth for us fans, it isn't always what we want. I hope I didn't burst your bubble.

Really Mr. Rogers? This isn't about me? You are right, this isn't about me. It's about ALL OF US. ALL OF US that contribute our time, money, energy and passion to this program (and all our other programs; check out the FB coaching search thread for evidence of this). ALL OF US that bleed Green and White and are still mourning the loss of the Fighting Sioux name and logo. ALL OF US that will stand with the school and the teams win, lose or draw. And if the Athletic Department doesn't think winning NCAA titles is important to the hockey (and FB) programs, then they are doing a disservice to all the stakeholders (including everyone on this forum) of UND athletics. So you are right, it isn't just about me.

But know this; I and many others will continue to speak our peace about our programs and the institution whether you like it or not. THAT is a tough truth for YOU to accept. I hope that little nugget of truth doesn't burst YOUR bubble. :angry:

And since you are playing Mr. Rogers, why don't you go over to the FB coaching discussion thread and tell everyone that is concerned about the search and how it is being conducted that it isn't "all about them" and that "it isn't always what we want". But if you get your butt chewed over it, please don't let it burst your bubble. :silly:

Really Mr. Rogers? This isn't about me? You are right, this isn't about me. It's about ALL OF US. ALL OF US that contribute our time, money, energy and passion to this program (and all our other programs; check out the FB coaching search thread for evidence of this). ALL OF US that bleed Green and White and are still mourning the loss of the Fighting Sioux name and logo. ALL OF US that will stand with the school and the teams win, lose or draw. And if the Athletic Department doesn't think winning NCAA titles is important to the hockey (and FB) programs, then they are doing a disservice to all the stakeholders (including everyone on this forum) of UND athletics. So you are right, it isn't just about me.

But know this; I and many others will continue to speak our peace about our programs and the institution whether you like it or not. THAT is a tough truth for YOU to accept. I hope that little nugget of truth doesn't burst YOUR bubble. :angry:

And since you are playing Mr. Rogers, why don't you go over to the FB coaching discussion thread and tell everyone that is concerned about the search and how it is being conducted that it isn't "all about them" and that "it isn't always what we want". But if you get your butt chewed over it, please don't let it burst your bubble. :silly:

Guess that I hit a nerve, which I didn't intend to do. We as fans can desire all we want, but it boils down to what UND wants. Fans and alumni can have their input through choosing whether to attend or whether to donate money. But it all boils down to what UND wants.

I certainly would like to see UND win more national championships. I have seen them win 5. I have also sat through the Rube Bjorkman doldrum years, never missing a home game in my years at UND. Rube's record was 149-186-11 with only two years above .500 and he never came close to sniffing a national tournament. There is no way I would trade the Hakstol years without a national title for the Rube Bjorkman years even with one national title at the end. I did enjoy watching hockey during Rube's years, but during the Hakstol years I have attended four Frozen fours, six or seven regionals, every Final Five tournament since it has been at the Xcel Energy Center, just about every home game, and many road series in every WCHA arena except Sullivan in Anchorage. Over all of those years I have met many Sioux fans,fans of other teams, and quite a few members who post on this board. I don't know if I would give all of that up just to see one more national title, because if I had to relive the Bjorkman years to get one more national title I would not be attending all of those events. And I would have missed a lot of fun and good times.

I get that you are tired of hearing about BC. I guess that doesn't bother me as much, although it would begin to bother me if it was the Gophers and they were approaching or equaling UND's 7 NCAA hockey titles. Hakstol has shown that he can get the team to the big dance. It is a gamble staying with Hakstol, but it would also certainly be a gamble to replace him with someone else. With someone else (or several someone else's) it could take many years just to get to the tournament. It is simply an unknown. I certainly don't know if it would be better to switch coaches, because I don't know who I would like to see at coach if he was replaced.

Please continue to speak your piece. Sorry if I offended you.

• Upvote 1

I certainly would like to see UND win more national championships. I have seen them win 5. I have also sat through the Rube Bjorkman doldrum years, never missing a home game in my years at UND. Rube's record was 149-186-11 with only two years above .500 and he never came close to sniffing a national tournament. There is no way I would trade the Hakstol years without a national title for the Rube Bjorkman years even with one national title at the end. I did enjoy watching hockey during Rube's years, but during the Hakstol years I have attended four Frozen fours, six or seven regionals, every Final Five tournament since it has been at the Xcel Energy Center, just about every home game, and many road series in every WCHA arena except Sullivan in Anchorage. Over all of those years I have met many Sioux fans,fans of other teams, and quite a few members who post on this board. I don't know if I would give all of that up just to see one more national title, because if I had to relive the Bjorkman years to get one more national title I would not be attending all of those events. And I would have missed a lot of fun and good times.

I get that you are tired of hearing about BC. I guess that doesn't bother me as much, although it would begin to bother me if it was the Gophers and they were approaching or equaling UND's 7 NCAA hockey titles. Hakstol has shown that he can get the team to the big dance. It is a gamble staying with Hakstol, but it would also certainly be a gamble to replace him with someone else. With someone else (or several someone else's) it could take many years just to get to the tournament. It is simply an unknown. I certainly don't know if it would be better to switch coaches, because I don't know who I would like to see at coach if he was replaced.

Had a lot of fun, like you,during those Bjorkman years, but usually didn't go expecting a win, rather just hoped for one occasionally. Remember looking forward to a CC series during the 5 win season (probably have the wrong record, was probably the 73/74 season, and the 5 win season, I think, was 74/75?) since CC was at the bottom of the league with the Sioux. Unfortunately Doug Palazzari smoked the Sioux both nights for 2 more losses. The early years of the then new Ralph were not so good, but then Gino arrived (and I wasn't living where I had any contact with Sioux hockey). Times have changed drastically in expectations since those years.

Guess that I hit a nerve, which I didn't intend to do. We as fans can desire all we want, but it boils down to what UND wants. Fans and alumni can have their input through choosing whether to attend or whether to donate money. But it all boils down to what UND wants.

Nice writing! Couldn't agree with you more!

The only thing that frustrates me on this thread is how could anyone trust that someone would come in here and do better than what Hak has done. To want him replaced because he hasn't won that ONE game, but has won many others that other big name schools haven't!

Just seems ridiculous to me!

Words of a mature mind... as you are finding out that doesn't sit well here.

And they followed up Callahan with Pelini, who hasn't done that much either. not always easy to replace a good good coach with a better one....

No, you didn't offend me. Five years ago, I might have been offended. Now, at 39 years old (and a mature mind, CMSioux), I have grown a thicker skin and I don't take things quite as personally as I used to. But the very notion that the braintrust of UND doesn't care about being #1 in the nation in our signature sport (hockey) and has allowed our #2 sport to decay to the point it hasn't been at since 1986 (football) does offend me. That is what set me off, not you personally. I am sorry it came off like that.

For the record, I am not calling for Hakstol's head. But I do think it is fair and appropriate to question our lack of ability to get over the hump in March and April. And I don't think Hakstol will be pushed out. When he leaves, it will be because an NHL team offered him a lot of money to serve as an assistant and we won't be able or willing to match it. I do hope Hakstol gets us over the hump before he leaves; I just have some serious doubts it will happen.

the funny thing about the mack brown situaion is that before he arrive there that program was irrelevant(sp) for what 20-25 years. he made the program relevant,won a nat title and would have won a second if his qb didn't get hurt in the first quarter against bama in the nat title game. I'm pretty sure saban will be booted out at bama if they don't win another one inthe next five years.