SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

7 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

In no way a fan of Ellison but did EGF quit taking money from St Paul and everyone missed it or....? 

• Upvote 1

At the risk of venturing too deep into politics in a restaurant thread, let's just say that if tyrannically-minded politicians keep enacting and trying to enforce draconian and misguided measures with shameful if not radical indifference to the effects on their citizens, there may be no restaurants left at which to eat.

#BLM (bordertown livelihoods matter)

#annexEGF

#savethemoose

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, jdub27 said:

In no way a fan of Ellison but did EGF quit taking money from St Paul and everyone missed it or....? 

I don't want to get into politics either, but I'm kind of guessing the money ran the other way--from EGF to St Paul, in income and sales taxes, alcohol license fees, restaurant license fees, etc. etc. etc. Politicians tend to forget that fact--that any money the government has came from its constituents. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

#savelives

Saves lives? Really? Our governors decided long ago to make the hospitality industry the whipping boy for spreading Covid. But the science? Well, a recent Wall Street Journal editorial pointed out that the state of New York's own contract tracing data showed that restaurants & bars accounted for a mere 1.4% of the virus spread. But it didn't stop the state from shutting them down. Many of these restaurants have undertaken herculean efforts to make their customers safe from the virus spread, but that has had no effect on shutdown hysteria. It's the arbitrariness of these shutdown orders, the failure to weigh any of the downside of these orders against whatever upside they calculate, and the absolute resolute conviction that they will help, even in the face of contrary evidence, that drives businesses such as Boardwalk to do what they did. Here's the WSJ editorial: https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-restaurant-lockdown-massacre-11607730189?mod=opinion_major_pos1

1 minute ago, Big Lubowski said:

Saves lives? Really? Our governors decided long ago to make the hospitality industry the whipping boy for spreading Covid. But the science? Well, a recent Wall Street Journal editorial pointed out that the state of New York's own contract tracing data showed that restaurants & bars accounted for a mere 1.4% of the virus spread. But it didn't stop the state from shutting them down. Many of these restaurants have undertaken herculean efforts to make their customers safe from the virus spread, but that has had no effect on shutdown hysteria. It's the arbitrariness of these shutdown orders, the failure to weigh any of the downside of these orders against whatever upside they calculate, and the absolute resolute conviction that they will help, even in the face of contrary evidence, that drives businesses such as Boardwalk to do what they did. Here's the WSJ editorial: https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-restaurant-lockdown-massacre-11607730189?mod=opinion_major_pos1

#=sarcasm

• Upvote 3

Let's talk about some new or good restaurants in GF so we stay on thread! I know the mods only shut down the political talk when there's a response (ref always get the retaliation!) so I guess you guys can keep it up.

Personally, I miss Player's. Two for one drinks and half-priced apps really helped me out back in the day. I used a Jedi mind trick on the bartender/manager to get a pitcher of beer and four Morgan Cokes for the price of a pitcher. 4 beers in a pitcher, the equivalent two-for was 4 drinks. $8 I think. Had a good local stumble my last couple years at school with a cheap buzz at Players and blackjack and dirty girls at Southgate.

These days, I'm a big fan of JL Beers and Vinyl Taco. 

• Like 1

Random "Stay on Thread" Thoughts:

- Fledgling regional Mexican restaurant coming soon into the old Ruby Tuesday location.

- Mexican/Guatemalan restaurant in the Columbia Mall "food court" still a going concern (somehow).

- If anybody here has a pot of cash and a moderately high net worth, the former Hardees tract at 17th & Columbia just screams Raising Cane's to me. (Be the first in the Dakotas!)

17 minutes ago, Kermit's Luck said:

Let's talk about some new or good restaurants in GF so we stay on thread! I know the mods only shut down the political talk when there's a response (ref always get the retaliation!) so I guess you guys can keep it up.

Personally, I miss Player's. Two for one drinks and half-priced apps really helped me out back in the day. I used a Jedi mind trick on the bartender/manager to get a pitcher of beer and four Morgan Cokes for the price of a pitcher. 4 beers in a pitcher, the equivalent two-for was 4 drinks. $8 I think. Had a good local stumble my last couple years at school with a cheap buzz at Players and blackjack and dirty girls at Southgate.

These days, I'm a big fan of JL Beers and Vinyl Taco. 

jl beers needs to buy the printing shop across the alley from rhombus downtown....in the summer they can put benches in the park between them and ubran stampede

2 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Random "Stay on Thread" Thoughts:

- Fledgling regional Mexican restaurant coming soon into the old Ruby Tuesday location.

- Mexican/Guatemalan restaurant in the Columbia Mall "food court" still a going concern (somehow).

- If anybody here has a pot of cash and a moderately high net worth, the former Hardees tract at 17th & Columbia just screams Raising Cane's to me. (Be the first in the Dakotas!)

eat at el gordita in the mall on wednesday...sometimes eating mexican food off styrafoam with plastic forks isn'tfun...it wasn't fun but the food was good...decent crowd too..maybe a dozen or so people in the food court that night which is a dozen morethan expected.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

eat at el gordita in the mall on wednesday...sometimes eating mexican food off styrafoam with plastic forks isn'tfun...it wasn't fun but the food was good...decent crowd too..maybe a dozen or so people in the food court that night which is a dozen morethan expected.

They’ve been busy. They stuck at keeping up with the lunch rush. They should take a page from some of the Mexican joints in Sioux City, those guys absolutely pump out delicious food.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Anyone know if The Boardwalk  will have UND hockey on this weekend?

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/government-and-politics/6798401-UPDATED-Judge-orders-closure-of-Boardwalk-Bar-and-Grill-in-East-Grand-Forks 

Wow.
Just wow. 

Ellingson and Walz claim "parens patriae" authority -- the government, or any other authority, regarded as the legal protector of citizens unable to protect themselves. 

Dear EGF and Polk County residents:

Governor Walz and AG Ellingson think they're your daddy, you're unable to protect yourself, and by extension, you're too stupid to do your own risk assessments. 

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't seen this posted here, but EGF is losing a restaurant and my favorite place for pasta.

Mamma’s Friends & Family,
This is incredibly hard for us, but we have decided to give up our lease in the Riverwalk Mall and close as of 3/1/2021. We are so grateful for the past year and a half of our ownership and the 10 years of love we had for this place that inspired us to take this on. No one could’ve prepared us for a global pandemic in the first 9 months of owning a restaurant, but the love and support this community showed us helped us to keep going and trying our best! Thank you to our loyal customers that have kept us going as long as possible.
We will continue to do DoorDash Delivery and Car Side pick up through the month of January and reevaluate in February if we will continue just takeout until March or if we will open our dining room.
Our current hours are 4:00pm-8:00pm Monday-Saturday.
We hope this isn’t goodbye forever just goodbye for now. We appreciate your continued support!