SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

Was in Grand Forks over the weekend, hit up the Original Red Pepper, of course.  Also saw the sign for the new Indian place when we stopped at Erbs & Gerbs.  Now for a rant, Erbs & Gerbs, freaking Covid is over, open your dining area up.  WTF, really?  Finally, WHAT THE HELL! Tim Horton's closed???  I was looking forward to some TimBits and a coffee.  Had to settle for Caribou/Einstein.  Not happy about that.  Tried to hit up Fat Albert's before we left town but it was not open yet.  Too bad.  Like their subs.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Was in Grand Forks over the weekend, hit up the Original Red Pepper, of course.  Also saw the sign for the new Indian place when we stopped at Erbs & Gerbs.  Now for a rant, Erbs & Gerbs, freaking Covid is over, open your dining area up.  WTF, really?  Finally, WHAT THE HELL! Tim Horton's closed???  I was looking forward to some TimBits and a coffee.  Had to settle for Caribou/Einstein.  Not happy about that.  Tried to hit up Fat Albert's before we left town but it was not open yet.  Too bad.  Like their subs.

A good rule of thumb these days before you head out to eat is to have a Plan B and a Plan C.  Lots of crazy hours and odd closings.

41 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Write a complaint to those Canadian crooks. 

5 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

The McDonalds on the interstate and highway 2 lobby is still closed.

Burger King is 100% back to normal.  No closed tables for social distancing and no masks on the employees.

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

"Roxies Bar and Grill coming soon" sign in the Riverwalk Centre.

They've been working on this for quite awhile.  They are remodeling the lobby area of where the second set of theatre's are located.  So across from the main lobby of the theatre (where you purchase tickets).  Hopefully that makes sense!

9 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Today is the big day. House of Punjab opening. Can’t wait to try it. It’s been a long time coming.

No review? Anyone wanna do a proof of life check-in with geaux_sioux's family?

2 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

No review? Anyone wanna do a proof of life check-in with geaux_sioux's family?

Karara was fantastic. I asked for XXX spicy and they gave me the round eye treatment. Still amazing flavor though. Tandoori chicken was succulent. Rice was on par with India palace. Mango lassi was delicious. They’re still working out the kinks on a big way with service but that’s almost always the case with non chains opening. I’ll be frequenting them for lunch and dinner for sure. How’s that?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

Panda Express is going into the new Memorial Union.

Ugh. They're not bad, if you come during a busy time where there's a lot of fresh made food being put on the line. 

18 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Karara was fantastic. I asked for XXX spicy and they gave me the round eye treatment. Still amazing flavor though. Tandoori chicken was succulent. Rice was on par with India palace. Mango lassi was delicious. They’re still working out the kinks on a big way with service but that’s almost always the case with non chains opening. I’ll be frequenting them for lunch and dinner for sure. How’s that?

Not bad, but you have some room to improve before you can become a grand master at restaurant reviews:
https://www.grandforksherald.com/lifestyle/food/7115229-EatBeat-House-of-Punjab-brings-Indian-food-to-in-Grand-Forks

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Sufficient. I too enjoy Indian food. 

On 7/15/2021 at 9:11 PM, geaux_sioux said:

Good to hear - we'll be trying them this week.    Maybe you could make some mild yet delicious suggestions for Indian food virgins?   Names like karara, masala or tandoori don't mean anything but once you get people to try it the food is amazingly addicting!   They might just need to go in with a couple "safe" dishes they'll like before they go explore the menu themselves.   My contrib would be try the Gobi Manchurian which is deep fried cauliflower in a tasty (not spicy) sauce and of course the Garlic or Ginger Naan -  a hot fresh baked flatbread that is very good.  Tikki Masala is chicken in a red sauce on rice but take GS's advice and order some spice - you won't regret it.

PS - G - what's Karara?   My wife likes really spicy indian food but she's never heard of this?

17 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

Good to hear - we'll be trying them this week.    Maybe you could make some mild yet delicious suggestions for Indian food virgins?   Names like karara, masala or tandoori don't mean anything but once you get people to try it the food is amazingly addicting!   They might just need to go in with a couple "safe" dishes they'll like before they go explore the menu themselves.   My contrib would be try the Gobi Manchurian which is deep fried cauliflower in a tasty (not spicy) sauce and of course the Garlic or Ginger Naan -  a hot fresh baked flatbread that is very good.  Tikki Masala is chicken in a red sauce on rice but take GS's advice and order some spice - you won't regret it.

PS - G - what's Karara?   My wife likes really spicy indian food but she's never heard of this?

Karara is a coconut based curry. It’s my favorite but I rarely see it on Indian restaurants menus.

Side note- they’ve been so busy that they have discontinued take out orders for indefinitely. Great to see the interest from the community. I really hope they can tighten/quicken up the service soon. I’d hate to see them get a bad rep for being slow, which they are very very slow atm. Need to hire a good bus boy and kitchen help so they can keep up. The wait staff is very friendly but inexperienced. Went there last Saturday with a buddy at like 4pm and they were packed. Took over an hour to get our food. Hopefully they can get that down to 30 min on a day like that. I really want them to succeed.

7 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Karara is a coconut based curry. It’s my favorite but I rarely see it on Indian restaurants menus.

Side note- they’ve been so busy that they have discontinued take out orders for indefinitely. Great to see the interest from the community. I really hope they can tighten/quicken up the service soon. I’d hate to see them get a bad rep for being slow, which they are very very slow atm. Need to hire a good bus boy and kitchen help so they can keep up. The wait staff is very friendly but inexperienced. Went there last Saturday with a buddy at like 4pm and they were packed. Took over an hour to get our food. Hopefully they can get that down to 30 min on a day like that. I really want them to succeed.

Thanks for the info - will try and yes I think there are a lot of people in GF who want to see them succeed so patience will be a virtue.  BE PATIENT GF HOCKEY!   (also turn on grammar-check but that's another issue)

Another heads up is Dean from Steers has taken over the GF Food Truck and is available at the Farmers Market every Saturday in GF with a pretty interesting SPICY menu including Ghost Pepper Chicken and other more spicy offerings than he had before.   Worth a shot - we're going to give him one this weekend.   He's  a nice guy who's trying very hard.  

16 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

what are the eta's on the two mexican joints for opening (the rock and the old ruby t's)...

I ate at the Charros in Bismarck this weekend and I asked about the Grand Forks opening date.  They told me August to early September.  Sounds like the owner is making some improvements to this location and wants to make sure its done right.  I was told alot of staff from the Bismarck restaurant will be coming to work here.  One thing different from the restaurants is that here they will be making their own tortillas.    Also there was a hour wait to get in to the restaurant and its been open for 3 years there, but it was worth the wait!  

• Upvote 1