SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

5 hours ago, Green Banner said:

Bonita Pizza, they make Up North Pizza and a few other brands.

Also give Johnny B's a try. Very solid frozen pizza. They have a restaurant in Jamestown. 

Hattons' own Bonita's Chicago Sausage frozen pizza was probably the GREATEST frozen pizza EVER as anyone who ever had it would attest.   The old owners eventually sold out to Jimmy's Pizza and they combined brands and sadly ditched that pizza.   It was amazing though.   Jimmy's is OK.   Have an Up North in the freezer but didn't realize they were made by the company in Hatton.  Will check that out...

8 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Their beer was always unimaginative and subpar. Half Brothers kicks their ass, as does Drekker.

Completely true!   The beer and food was never really remarkable.  The ironic thing is the guy that started Half Brothers was the first and original brewmaster at Rhombus and struck out to start his own business and succeeded!   Drekker has done REALLY WELL in Fargo also...

https://brewhalla.co/

Staying there for a birthday weekend getaway - heard it's really cool.   Rhombus did a great thing repurposing the Old Met downtown.  That building is a historical gem and hopefully another micro brewer will step in and take it over.   

9 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

Completely true!   The beer and food was never really remarkable.  The ironic thing is the guy that started Half Brothers was the first and original brewmaster at Rhombus and struck out to start his own business and succeeded!   Drekker has done REALLY WELL in Fargo also...

https://brewhalla.co/

Staying there for a birthday weekend getaway - heard it's really cool.   Rhombus did a great thing repurposing the Old Met downtown.  That building is a historical gem and hopefully another micro brewer will step in and take it over.   

Love the owners of Drekker. Super nice guys. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Bonzers is a decent option, but IMO 21+ needs an asterisk in the context of community dining amid a wave of closures. 

Would love to see some local establishments reclassified - or regs relaxed - to permit families with children. Other states seem to have no problem. 

Seemed very odd getting carded for a cheeseburger at JL when I was a student. 

Who wants to open a brewery?

Regarding the now-closed taproom, Winjum said he does not have any immediate plans, but is open to renting the space and equipment to an interested business owner.

“There are so many options and possibilities for that,” he said. “If there’s anybody out there that’s passionate about opening a business and comes to us with a plan, we’re open to ideas. We’ll see what happens.”

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/rhombus-guys-brewing-closes-downtown-taproom-will-cease-brewing-operations

18 hours ago, Cratter said:

I went to Lotzza Motzza frozen pizza and never looked back. 

Best frozen pizza I have had.  A few months ago they had their artisan crust pizza which is even better. Was as close to a really good Chicago thin crust pizza from a frozen product. Was only available for a few months. Must not have gone over well in Fargo as I can't find it anywhere .  Was really bummed about that.

• Upvote 1

On 7/20/2023 at 5:45 PM, Green Banner said:

Bonita Pizza, they make Up North Pizza and a few other brands.

Also give Johnny B's a try. Very solid frozen pizza. They have a restaurant in Jamestown. 

Johnny B's is very good. Will vouch for it

Being that far down the road hurt. But the killers were losing their brewer and trying to become big canner. The stuff they can and sent to other other bars was "safe" but just wasn't that good. Issue for them is that their vats are so big it's tough to take risks and try new things. Half brothers keeps finding new popular beers like Pickle Rickle and rotates them in when they have the ingredients. But that also builds the demand.

Drekker is a different animal as they make awesome beer, still take chances, and have huge distribution. Heck it is cheaper to get down in Arizona than here.

• Upvote 2

On 7/20/2023 at 6:13 PM, fightingsioux4life said:

How can Rhombus go from very successful to gone? The recent trend is very worrisome.

Thank god the pizza places are still open. Still one of my top favorite pizzas anywhere. I get it in Fargo all the time, Louisiana Saturday Night, Bleu Heaven, mushroom, so good! They should have stuck with just  Pizza because it’s the real star.

• Upvote 1

On 7/25/2023 at 10:23 PM, Sioux>Bison said:

Thank god the pizza places are still open. Still one of my top favorite pizzas anywhere. I get it in Fargo all the time, Louisiana Saturday Night, Bleu Heaven, mushroom, so good! They should have stuck with just  Pizza because it’s the real star.

The Old Met building WILL BE a great microbrewery.  Rhombus Guys just didn't have the mojo - agree they should stick to pizza and let someone else come in and take it over that building - they can keep the apartments above.  

CALL DREKKER in FARGO - we stayed at Brewhalla last weekend and it was an amazing experience from start to finish.  Innovative vision, great marketplace and very creative brews!  My wife who doesn't like "craft" beer couldn't get enough of their fruit-sours.  We brought home a couple 4 packs as proof.  If you brew good and different beers in a unique place people will come and having good food is just a bonus - RG could never pull that off in this location.  No bad for them - just let some one move in who can make something of this amazing space!        

10 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

The Old Met building WILL BE a great microbrewery.  Rhombus Guys just didn't have the mojo - agree they should stick to pizza and let someone else come in and take it over that building - they can keep the apartments above.  

CALL DREKKER in FARGO - we stayed at Brewhalla last weekend and it was an amazing experience from start to finish.  Innovative vision, great marketplace and very creative brews!  My wife who doesn't like "craft" beer couldn't get enough of their fruit-sours.  We brought home a couple 4 packs as proof.  If you brew good and different beers in a unique place people will come and having good food is just a bonus - RG could never pull that off in this location.  No bad for them - just let some one move in who can make something of this amazing space!        

what happens in fargo can stay in fargo........

would be funny if half bros moved down into the RG guys brewery and then the clueless guys next door to the half bros (3 years reno'ing that building ffs) said f it and moved into half bros spot

13 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

what happens in fargo can stay in fargo........

would be funny if half bros moved down into the RG guys brewery and then the clueless guys next door to the half bros (3 years reno'ing that building ffs) said f it and moved into half bros spot

Yeah that would be hilarious!:glare: