SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

23 hours ago, Kab said:

i prefer a store front where you park in front of the store you shop in, not an inside store 

8 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

The future of retail in GF is - apparently by the number being built - strip malls?? 

You had the answer before the question. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

Roughly a third of it (old Macys wing) has been sold and will be turned into a Christian school. 

Riverside Christian is moving from EGF to GF. 
https://thegrandcities.com/2023/03/02/p-z-greenlights-riverside-christian-school-move/

Just in time for the new ND school voucher system approved in this Legislature.
https://bismarcktribune.com/news/local/education/north-dakota-senate-passes-10m-private-school-voucher-bill/article_e79c14ba-d88f-11ed-88d3-5b56a994a5f3.html#:~:text=North Dakota lawmakers approved a,Cory%2C R-Grand Forks. 

My ... what a fortunate coincidence for them ... 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

What a coincidence! Unfortunately for them, the governor vetoed it because it wasn't enough $$$.  I don't recall too many vetoes that would piss off both sides! :whistling:

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

You had the answer before the question. 

I find myself hitting up Dollar General more and more. The convenience factor of parking next to the door and easy in, easy out vs Walmart has won me over.

19 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I find myself hitting up Dollar General more and more. 

Small town "Dollah G" rock!

Pull up to door, walk in to ice cream cooler by door, Klondike bar! Back on the road. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/5/2023 at 3:40 PM, The Sicatoka said:

Small town "Dollah G" rock!

Pull up to door, walk in to ice cream cooler by door, Klondike bar! Back on the road. 

Be careful of what you buy at the DOLLAH stores...lots of expired items.  Also killing the small towns local economy - when they don't make enough $$$ they close and move away but they already killed the local grocery/convenience store.   Pick your poison

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

Be careful of what you buy at the DOLLAH stores...lots of expired items.  Also killing the small towns local economy - when they don't make enough $$$ they close and move away but they already killed the local grocery/convenience store.   Pick your poison

Maybe explains fosston

On 5/3/2023 at 8:38 AM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Per their Facebook, ix-nay ita-Pay it-Pay. 

Last few days...head over there soon! 

RIP variety in Grand Forks.  Guessing that Pepper Jax would have suffered the same fate, if it been allowed to be built. #stillsourgrapes

What's closing?

On 5/7/2023 at 12:03 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Maybe explains fosston

Interesting comment... Hugo's bought out Paulubicki's (sp?) in Fosston.   The big grocery store and a c-store.  Heard the locals there like Hugo's better than the old owners and it's right on the way to the lake from GF so good buy for Hugos but I guess the GF southenders will have to wait a little longer for their new store. 

32nd Ave is still the closest store for a city that's grown another 30 blocks south?  As a former prez would say....SAD;-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goon said:

There’s now a new Mexican restaurant. Or it moved frothed food court to the building that was formally occupied by Erbert’s and Gerbert’s — El Gordito  https://order.spoton.com/rhbs-el-gordito-market-5355/grand-forks-nd/60dcffa124b4c477e22659d7

IMG_8528.jpeg

Literal translation of El Gordito to English is "the fatty".:whistling:

• Upvote 1

El Gordito is good!   MexIcan and Salvadoran Food - takes a bit so be patient but it's worth the while. Glad they got out of the mall and into the real world.  In that same strip mall there is awesome Indian food at House of Punjab.  Don't know what to order?  Try the Tikka Misala (chicken and rice in a spicy red sauce) with Garlic Naan Bread to dip into to start and go from there.  

The old Steers location on South Washington is another place to check out (Mt. Everest - weird name in flat ND but whatever)  Indian/Himalayan food also very good.  

Chino Latino (the NEW location of Steers) next to McDonalds is also great for drive through with chinese, indian and latino fusion menu items - Elias Dean is a  treasure for this town and we should support him!  Try the Korean BBQ chicken and rice!  It's amazing - Never had a bad meal there and they will treat you right.

Some of the great places to eat in GF that offer something OTHER the just burgers and fries - hope we can get more!

ON A SAD NOTE:  Far East Buffet (the old pancake house on Gateway) has been demolished along with all the remnants of the old Westward Ho.   Yes it turned into a meth factory for the last many years and needed to go but its sad to see those old GF landmarks gone forever.     

On 5/4/2023 at 12:48 AM, Frozen4sioux said:

Grand cities Mall is exponentially more interesting.

I see the FM areas equivalent mall, Moorhead Center Mall, is being torn down.

Grand Cities Mall beat the odds and has low vacancy.

Which some would say because of local owners...like west acres.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

El Gordito is good!   MexIcan and Salvadoran Food - takes a bit so be patient but it's worth the while. Glad they got out of the mall and into the real world.  In that same strip mall there is awesome Indian food at House of Punjab.  Don't know what to order?  Try the Tikka Misala (chicken and rice in a spicy red sauce) with Garlic Naan Bread to dip into to start and go from there.  

The old Steers location on South Washington is another place to check out (Mt. Everest - weird name in flat ND but whatever)  Indian/Himalayan food also very good.  

Chino Latino (the NEW location of Steers) next to McDonalds is also great for drive through with chinese, indian and latino fusion menu items - Elias Dean is a  treasure for this town and we should support him!  Try the Korean BBQ chicken and rice!  It's amazing - Never had a bad meal there and they will treat you right.

Some of the great places to eat in GF that offer something OTHER the just burgers and fries - hope we can get more!

ON A SAD NOTE:  Far East Buffet (the old pancake house on Gateway) has been demolished along with all the remnants of the old Westward Ho.   Yes it turned into a meth factory for the last many years and needed to go but its sad to see those old GF landmarks gone forever.     

Chino Latino pro tip - order the 2 meat platter with tikka Masala and Jerk Chicken. 

Punjab pro tip - lamb Karara with garlic naan. Everywhere has tikka, but Karara is rare and delicious. Also, the food isn’t spicy, they make it to your taste mild, medium, hot, xhot-xxxxhot. Mild is very doable for those who sweat from black pepper.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Chino Latino pro tip - order the 2 meat platter with tikka Masala and Jerk Chicken. 

Punjab pro tip - lamb Karara with garlic naan. Everywhere has tikka, but Karara is rare and delicious. Also, the food isn’t spicy, they make it to your taste mild, medium, hot, xhot-xxxxhot. Mild is very doable for those who sweat from black pepper.

Will try that 2 meat platter at Chino next time G - thanks.   Ever try the Korean BBQ aka Gochujang Chicken there?  Also very tasty, not hot.   Samosas there are good too. Pass on their Naan - it's pita bread.   Oh well, no one is perfect.  Picked up takeout from Punjab tonight.  Wife had Paneer Karara extra spicy and they didn't spare the hot - she LOVED it!  They were PACKED and lots of people waiting - good to see!

On a down note:  Noodles had their patio open for the first time (I've seen) in years so with El Gordito, Punjab and Noodles and the c*ck blocking new mini-strip mall they built their entrance, parking, and exit is really BAD so be warned.  Then you can deal with the pothole-riddled parking lot of Columbia Hell.   (apparently they had a sinkhole by McDonald Dental so the 28th Ave. S entrance is blocked right now:-( 

So it goes...

On 5/13/2023 at 12:43 AM, gfNDfan said:

Thanks for the advice on House of Punjab. Took your recommendation there and got exactly what you said to get. I got the medium spice. I was going in with not alot of expectations as I have tried Indian food before and didn't care for it.   The food was awesome !!! Medium spice was definitely not to spicy for me. Excellent taste . Looking forward to going back.  Had to wait a bit to get in. Took awhile to get my food but it was worth it!.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

Will try that 2 meat platter at Chino next time G - thanks.   Ever try the Korean BBQ aka Gochujang Chicken there?  Also very tasty, not hot.   Samosas there are good too. Pass on their Naan - it's pita bread.   Oh well, no one is perfect.  Picked up takeout from Punjab tonight.  Wife had Paneer Karara extra spicy and they didn't spare the hot - she LOVED it!  They were PACKED and lots of people waiting - good to see!

On a down note:  Noodles had their patio open for the first time (I've seen) in years so with El Gordito, Punjab and Noodles and the c*ck blocking new mini-strip mall they built their entrance, parking, and exit is really BAD so be warned.  Then you can deal with the pothole-riddled parking lot of Columbia Hell.   (apparently they had a sinkhole by McDonald Dental so the 28th Ave. S entrance is blocked right now:-( 

So it goes...

Agree on the naan. Especially with how amazing the naan is at Punjab. Real naan vs half assed. Punjab is as legit as it comes anywhere in the country.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, NewUndFan said:

Thanks for the advice on House of Punjab. Took your recommendation there and got exactly what you said to get. I got the medium spice. I was going in with not alot of expectations as I have tried Indian food before and didn't care for it.   The food was awesome !!! Medium spice was definitely not to spicy for me. Excellent taste . Looking forward to going back.  Had to wait a bit to get in. Took awhile to get my food but it was worth it!.  

13 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Agree on the naan. Especially with how amazing the naan is at Punjab. Real naan vs half assed. Punjab is as legit as it comes anywhere in the country.

It's interesting but if you like House of Punjab I'd urge you to try India Palace on 13th in West Fargo...

"Allegedly" as per the facebook post war GF's Punjab was started by former Palace people, employees, or patrons connected somehow, who may or may not have stolen, borrowed, copied, whatever... the recipes (or whatever the posts insinuated..)

The GF house of Punjab does not even come close to doing the dishes justice when compared to the original though.

I'd rate House of Punjab as "tasty".

India Palace in WF is rated as

"Knock your di<k off good" as El Presidente would say....

Try the Vindaloo.

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

It's interesting but if you like House of Punjab I'd urge you to try India Palace on 13th in West Fargo...

"Allegedly" as per the facebook post war GF's Punjab was started by former Palace people, employees, or patrons connected somehow, who may or may not have stolen, borrowed, copied, whatever... the recipes (or whatever the posts insinuated..)

The GF house of Punjab does not even come close to doing the dishes justice when compared to the original though.

I'd rate House of Punjab as "tasty".

India Palace in WF is rated as

"Knock your di<k off good" as El Presidente would say....

Try the Vindaloo.

India Palace is the &#33;@#&#036;! I eat there whenever I’m in Fargo. The owner is the nicest guy. Best Indian food in Fargo. I wish they still had their lunch buffet but the owner got rid of it because he was getting too fat lol. 

On 5/5/2023 at 7:45 AM, The Sicatoka said:

I was told today that Riverside Christian School is not going to complete the purchase of a portion of the mall.   Apparently the mall and the city required too many hoops to jump through and now they are looking at other alternatives.